New product--7/8' paw prints grosgrain ribbon
New product--2.25' star grosgrain ribbon
new products-3/8' snowmen grosgrain ribbon
New product--2.25' polka dot grosgrain ribbon
new products--7/8' cheetah skin print grosgrain ribbon
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/breast-cancer-bow-tie-hair-clip.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 06-10-2012, 11:53

Default What do you consider an over the top bow?

I noticed a lot of the bows listed on Etsy as over the top are just "normal" bows to me. They might measure 5" or bigger but there is nothing over the top about them IMO. Maybe, I am not the kind who likes small simple bows and I just don't find anything over the top about them. I want to start adding OTT bows to my shop. I think they shall be bigger than normal with lots of embelishements (feathers, marabou, etc). Big but pretty.

So, what is the over the top definition for most bowmakers? Also, how do you price them? I want to add some to my shop so that I can have a product that can sell for at least $18.
Sponsored Links

HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
Old 06-10-2012, 03:16

Default Re: What do you consider an over the top bow?

I think you have the right idea for an OTT bow. I price mine at $9, but adding marabou puffs, bottlecaps, feathers, clay centers, etc. can make them worth a lot more. I think OTT bows have to have lots of those type embellishments, plus spikes, surrounds, and two bows (one top and one on the very bottom). I also love the little side bows.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:13

Agreed. When I think OTT I think surrounds, spikes, tbb, and marabou, tulle, jewels! The works! I sell mine like this for $15.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.BowlingtheBowMaker View Post
Agreed. When I think OTT I think surrounds, spikes, tbb, and marabou, tulle, jewels! The works! I sell mine like this for $15.
So, do you think $18 will be too much? I am starting to price some stacked boutique bows at 13. and I sold some. They have small clay center. I ordered some full body clay dolls and they cost me between 4. to 5 dollars... I can't price those at $13 because then it will be like giving the doll for free. So, what price does an OTT with all the features will usually sell for on line?
Old 06-10-2012, 08:41

Ohh I adore the clay centers but your right they are pricey! But to me they really take the bow to the extra level. In my area it doesn't pay me to add that because most people simply won't pay the price I'd have to charge for them. But like you said online is different. Are you selling on Etsy or personal site, or Facebook?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizAnnsbows View Post
So, do you think $18 will be too much? I am starting to price some stacked boutique bows at 13. and I sold some. They have small clay center. I ordered some full body clay dolls and they cost me between 4. to 5 dollars... I can't price those at $13 because then it will be like giving the doll for free. So, what price does an OTT with all the features will usually sell for on line?
Old 06-10-2012, 11:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.BowlingtheBowMaker View Post
Ohh I adore the clay centers but your right they are pricey! But to me they really take the bow to the extra level. In my area it doesn't pay me to add that because most people simply won't pay the price I'd have to charge for them. But like you said online is different. Are you selling on Etsy or personal site, or Facebook?
I am trying both Etsy and Facebook. I don't have that many Facebook fans that are not "bowmakers" thou.
Old 06-11-2012, 04:09

i love ott bows but i only make them for my little girl as i can not sell them most people want the sets or just the small ones with a bottle top.
Old 06-11-2012, 04:39

My OTT bows usually have
1. TBB
2. Surrounds with rhinestones
3. 5 7/8 inch spikes
4. 3 1.5 inch spikes
5. Sometimes a base TBB
I also add a center such as marabou, rhinestones, resins, tulle, etc.
Sponsored Links
300-700-forum-banners
wholesale rompers, dresses, bloomers, hat, headbands, leg warmers, flower layers, tulle, boutique clothing and other craft supplies