Ribbon Slides--for 3/8' Ribbons 10pc 1/4' Birch Wood Dowel Rods For Korkers 20pc Glue Stick For Hair Bows, Hair Clips, Crafts Wood Burning Tool With 4 Tips--For Sealing Ribbon Ends French Barrettes-Silver 40pc Pastel Goody Ouchless No Metal Small Pony'Os-3.5',2MM Thick http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/tulle-tutu-orchid.jpg 6pc 1.75' Satin Rose for Scrapbooking, Hair Clips, Wedding-Combo mini-bow-tie-diy-bows-grosgrain-ribbon
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/my_ads/hip-girl-boutique-llc-twitter-100.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 06-10-2012, 10:00

Default Re: How to singe WHITE flowers without getting black on them

Lots of great ideas shared. I too think the longer fireplace lighters are easier for me to use. Best of luck in everyone figuring it out
Sponsored Links
300-700-forum-banners
wholesale rompers, dresses, bloomers, hat, headbands, leg warmers, flower layers, tulle, boutique clothing and other craft supplies
Old 06-10-2012, 09:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilicious View Post
A little tip I recently discovered...I buy my lighters at the dollar store. I get the big ones used for fireplaces and bbqs. I can't believe they are only a dollar each! I used to get them at my supermarket and they are upwards of $5.00 each! I buy like 20 at a time.
I actually use the dollar lighters from the dollar section in Target, or I get $1 from the grill section at Walmart in a pinch (the target ones are better). I couldn't imagine paying $5 each. I just need to figure out how to get a refillable bbq lighter.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by missdana1105 View Post
I actually use the dollar lighters from the dollar section in Target, or I get $1 from the grill section at Walmart in a pinch (the target ones are better). I couldn't imagine paying $5 each. I just need to figure out how to get a refillable bbq lighter.
I've used a zippo refillable before and they run out much faster than the traditional bbq lighter. I also buy the $1 target lighter and they last about 10x longer The zippo refillable is also harder on the fingers to hold down the button.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:32

I also use the long lighters and quickly run the flame back and forth over the edges until I get the curl I'm looking for! The candle seems to cause the black..I have never mastered the candle method. I mainly use the costume satin (poly) from Joann's...I think that curls the best

Good luck!

~Sara
Old 06-11-2012, 09:37

I'd also love to hear how the heat gun works.

I normally use a candle which does cause black -- good to know about the lighters!
Old 06-11-2012, 12:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by noahsmom8497 View Post
I'm literally doing this for ONE order. I'm not going to continue to make them so I don't want to invest in any tools I don't have to!
I know what you mean so this is for everyone else that inquired regarding the heat gun. I was intrigued by this idea...

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizeancutie View Post
Someone once mentioned using a heat gun/tool to make singed flowers. I think she mentioned that it could be found in the embossing section of the craft store.
so pulled out my super under used Embossing Gun and tried it. It did work very well. I will say that it will likely take a little practice to figure out exactly where to place the heat as I puckered up the center kind of funny, but the edges looked great!

BTW, on a side note, I started using my embossing gun on shabby flowers. It takes a little practice to figure out how close to have the gun to your flower, but after I figured it out my flowers were super fluffy and if you turn the flower upside down it melts the mesh edges in. I started using it instead of a lighter.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by fancyschmancybyjeni View Post
I know what you mean so this is for everyone else that inquired regarding the heat gun. I was intrigued by this idea...

so pulled out my super under used Embossing Gun and tried it. It did work very well. I will say that it will likely take a little practice to figure out exactly where to place the heat as I puckered up the center kind of funny, but the edges looked great!

BTW, on a side note, I started using my embossing gun on shabby flowers. It takes a little practice to figure out how close to have the gun to your flower, but after I figured it out my flowers were super fluffy and if you turn the flower upside down it melts the mesh edges in. I started using it instead of a lighter.
Is an embossing gun the same as a heat gun? I think my hubby only paid around 9.00 at harbor freight for his heat gun. I haven't tried it yet, but want to!
When you melt the mesh edges on the shabbys, does it make is too rough on the back side?
Good tip too, thank you!
Old 06-12-2012, 10:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by briellasnana View Post
Is an embossing gun the same as a heat gun? I think my hubby only paid around 9.00 at harbor freight for his heat gun. I haven't tried it yet, but want to!
When you melt the mesh edges on the shabbys, does it make is too rough on the back side?
Good tip too, thank you!
I think that the principle behind a heat gun and an embossing gun are the same. I am not certain how wide the barrel is on the heat gun, but the embossing gun has a very small barrel making it easy to direct the heat where you would like it. also, my embossing gun only has 1 heat setting (I think that heat guns have multiple settings) so you really have to experiment with how close to the fabric you hold your gun.

As for the second question, I have not had a problem with the melted mesh getting too rough. I do cut the mesh close to the flower so perhaps that plays a roll?
Old 06-12-2012, 10:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by fancyschmancybyjeni View Post
I think that the principle behind a heat gun and an embossing gun are the same. I am not certain how wide the barrel is on the heat gun, but the embossing gun has a very small barrel making it easy to direct the heat where you would like it. also, my embossing gun only has 1 heat setting (I think that heat guns have multiple settings) so you really have to experiment with how close to the fabric you hold your gun.

As for the second question, I have not had a problem with the melted mesh getting too rough. I do cut the mesh close to the flower so perhaps that plays a roll?
Well the heat gun my hubby has here, the end is about the size of a blow dryer, so it probably wont work. I wonder if heat guns have added pcs for them, Hmmm!
Heat guns get VERY hot, scary hot!!! YIKES!
Thx for helping!
Old 06-12-2012, 02:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by briellasnana View Post
Well the heat gun my hubby has here, the end is about the size of a blow dryer, so it probably wont work. I wonder if heat guns have added pcs for them, Hmmm!
Heat guns get VERY hot, scary hot!!! YIKES!
Thx for helping!
No problem! If you do try the heat gun maybe just have some long tongs ready? Best of luck!
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/large/portrait-editing-ads-700.jpg