http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/jewelboxballerina-800.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 05-31-2012, 02:33

Default replace flip lfop straps

I am so tired of my kids flip flop straps breaking. I want to make ribbon or leater straps to relace the plastice straps with, but can't find any tuts on how to do it. I have the general consept down, but not sure what to use to hols the ribbon/leather in the the hole. I could knot it and glue it, b ut I want it to look good enough that my teens would wear them in public. Are there any kind of plugs that would work? I don't want to use buttons, although that would probabaly work, but again, I want my finicky teenagers to feel comfortable wearing them in public.
Any ideas or tut would be very helpful.
Sponsored Links

Old 06-01-2012, 04:34

Default Re: replace flip lfop straps

I have been researching this craft too!

The most useful I found...
Snip off the plastic (broken) straps. Choose a nice ribbon or elastic. Thread the piece through the holes in the flip-flop the same way the original straps were. Secure them underneath the shoe sole by tying a knot, and adding a bit of good craft glue or craft cement (I plan to try E-6000). Snip of any excess so the knot isn't bulky and uncomfortable under the foot.

The good thing about using your own ribbon is that you can leave it long, and wrap it a couple times around the kid's ankles and tie a bow in the back.

I would use plain black elastic for boys shoes, or maybe some cool camouflage ribbon. The possibilities for girls are, of course, endless!

If my directions aren't too clear, I can look for the links again for you.

Good luck!
Old 06-01-2012, 04:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5girls View Post
I am so tired of my kids flip flop straps breaking. I want to make ribbon or leater straps to relace the plastice straps with, but can't find any tuts on how to do it. I have the general consept down, but not sure what to use to hols the ribbon/leather in the the hole. I could knot it and glue it, b ut I want it to look good enough that my teens would wear them in public. Are there any kind of plugs that would work? I don't want to use buttons, although that would probabaly work, but again, I want my finicky teenagers to feel comfortable wearing them in public.
Any ideas or tut would be very helpful.
I apologize! I realize you didn't want the knots and glue option, lol.
I do believe a nice square knot covered with clear-drying glue wouldn't be very noticeable. I think the more 'crafty' they look, the more likely they are to be taken as crafts, and not the run-of-the-mill store-brought brand =)
Old 06-01-2012, 07:57

Thanks!
Old 06-02-2012, 07:56

I agree, I really don't think a knot underneath is really going to be seen. I have a 15 year old and she loves the idea of replacing the flip flop straps with something else. We were talking about using fabric.
Sponsored Links