http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/rock-star-ribbon-offray-7-8-satin.jpg   http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/7-8-flower-grosgrain-ribbon.JPG Tested! Snap Clips Shipping Supplies Alligator Clips--Silver E-6000 http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/5-8-hello-kitty-satin-ribbon-orchid.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 05-28-2012, 08:48

Default Horse Show Bows

Hi! Anyone do bows for horse shows?? I have been riding forever...but have not shown in quite some time (kids will take up your time like that, LOL ) But my sister is very into it and has been telling me I need to get into the "horse show bow biz" but she is NOT very good at describing how the kids like them these days! All she is saying is very big and long tails. Ok, I can do that...but how big? And I'm assuming french clips, right? Any input?? Thanks!

~Sara
Sponsored Links

Old 05-28-2012, 09:43

Default Re: Horse Show Bows

I'm selling bows at my daughters horse show June 10 This one is just at her barn. But at her last Academy show (UPHA spring show) the show manager who is also the owner of the barn she rides at asked if I wanted to sell them at the academy show because she liked mine (she saw the one I made for my dd and her friends at the barn) but I didn't have enough stock at the time. At the Academy show I saw the lady she usually uses and she does a nice job, I kind of feel bad if I do the next UPHA show, but I didn't bring it up, so I shouldn't feel bad LOL!!! She rides saddle seat and the bows have to be small and not distracting, they put them on their chignon/buns below their derby or helmet. I've been told they prefer the alligator clips because it's easier to work with them and the hairnet. So probably depends on what discipline they are riding and what the regulations are. What kind of horse shows will you be at?

Wendy My Etsy Shop

Old 05-30-2012, 03:23

Hi Sara,

I make these, they are like a double (layered) tails down bow. They are called "short stirrup bows". For a good idea just do a search on google for short stirrup or kids equestrain bows. Most of the people in my area use a pony O but I use a small french clip which I think works better on the longer thin hair. They sell for about 30.00 a set here. I am actually experimenting with different types which I will be taking to a show in June. We'll see how they go over at that time. There are some really unique ones here http://www.frankieaccessories.ca/ just click on the equestrian tab at the top. I think these are considered a "work of art" to some, not so much to others.
Old 05-30-2012, 04:34

Thank you both so much!! Yea, I was thinking they would be mainly for leadline to short stirrup. For the bottoms of their cute little braids! She actually sent me some pics of what she was talking about, and yes, they are big! Going to try a few sets, thanks again for the advice!!

Sara
Old 05-30-2012, 04:56

those little girls are so cute! I could have fun making bows for the bottom of braids! In the Saddleseat world they would probably deduct points for that, not even allowed have braids, it has to be in a bun. I'm pretty new to it all, but that's one thing I've learned. I tried to have my daughter wear some flashier more fun bows but her trainer and the show manager strongly advised against it They have to wear a bun and a small bow, I've attached a picture that you can see my daughter with her bow on before her show. I copied the style from the bows I'd seen at previous shows and from online. DD picked out her ribbon

Good luck to you!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg horse show bow.jpg (32.4 KB, 53 views)

Wendy My Etsy Shop

Old 05-30-2012, 05:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy523 View Post
those little girls are so cute! I could have fun making bows for the bottom of braids! In the Saddleseat world they would probably deduct points for that, not even allowed have braids, it has to be in a bun. I'm pretty new to it all, but that's one thing I've learned. I tried to have my daughter wear some flashier more fun bows but her trainer and the show manager strongly advised against it They have to wear a bun and a small bow, I've attached a picture that you can see my daughter with her bow on before her show. I copied the style from the bows I'd seen at previous shows and from online. DD picked out her ribbon

Good luck to you!!!
Such a cute little bow! Love it! I was always intrigued by the saddleseat riders, it is such a different style! I love their flowy jackets too Hope she does well in her shows!
Thanks again,
Sara
Old 05-30-2012, 09:37

Depends on how big the show is. Some I have been to the more bling the better, parents especially daddy's buy there little girls what they want. Your sister is probably talking about cheerbow or tail down style and I use either french clips or the aligator clips
Old 05-31-2012, 08:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarajo1024 View Post
Such a cute little bow! Love it! I was always intrigued by the saddleseat riders, it is such a different style! I love their flowy jackets too Hope she does well in her shows!
Thanks again,
Sara
Thanks! I had no idea of the different styles of riding except that there was western and english! I signed her up for lessons at this barn on a recommendation from a friend and the fact it was close to home, not too many places to ride around here close by. I've come to really like saddleseat and can't wait til she is old enough and experienced enough to do shows wearing formals! Though I don't look forward to paying for the jacket and vest! LOL!

Wendy My Etsy Shop

Sponsored Links
300-700-forum-banners
wholesale rompers, dresses, bloomers, hat, headbands, leg warmers, flower layers, tulle, boutique clothing and other craft supplies