http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/jewelboxballerina-800.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 05-27-2012, 10:26

Default Is this all worth it?

So, I started my hair bow business about a year ago and I have tons of ribbon. I have a reliable wholesale account and sell a little on etsy, facebook. However, I just wonder if this is worth my time, effort and all the hot glue burns. Seriously though, are there any criteria that help you to know that its worth the energy?
Sponsored Links

Old 05-27-2012, 10:34

Default Re: Is this all worth it?

Not sure for anyone else but I am going to be 49 this year and I would be totally bored without it but I am quiting making felties and going to try and sell alot of my stuff and even one of my machines, for me it gave me a little bit of pocket money but I am so addicted to the felts I just turned around and spent it on designs for the machine LOL. so for me I have decided just yesterday it is not worth it. I want to do so much more now.
Old 05-28-2012, 12:24

Do you keep track of what your spending and earning? What did you earn last year after deductions? The only way to know if it is worth it is to track your income. Make sure you are charging appropriate amounts to make it worth your time.

Obviously you don't think you are making enough....you math have to reevaluate your prices so you don't get burned out.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:34

I will tell you that I went quite a while without seeing a profit because I would re-invest EVERYTHING... and then some. That can be frustrating if you don't see the big picture and that you are building a business of value. I think it is worth it. It just takes patience and hard work. It is not for everybody though. Best of luck to you!!
Old 05-28-2012, 08:44

To be honest, I've spent WAY more than I've made, and I really should just give up my business, but I can't bring myself to give it up.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:47

I love all of it still and it's been 6 years for me. I'm still not making a ton of money, but I don't have anything online. I do about 25-30 craft shows a year and a few cheer squads and I'm happy with it. My hubby and I dream of the day we retire from our full-time jobs and just hang out with our craft show friends.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:53

It totally depends on what you are trying to get out of it. If you're trying to become a millionaire a world famous then no. I'd invest in something else. I've done this for 7 years now. Have spent over $40,000 on ribbon, machines, tutorials, everything you can think of and am no where near making the profit back. However, this is my hobby. I do it when I want to and it makes me happy. I'm not looking at it to get rich. It's something me and my dd do together and when I need a destresser, I craft. So weigh the options of why you want to do it and then go from there. But keep in mind there are only about a million other bow makers out there so don't think it will be a get rich quick thing. Do it cause u love it. but either way, good luck!!
Old 05-28-2012, 10:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah'sMommee View Post
It totally depends on what you are trying to get out of it. If you're trying to become a millionaire a world famous then no. I'd invest in something else....... Do it cause u love it. but either way, good luck!!

This! It's not worth it at all when it becomes such a stressor that you lose the joy of creating , of learning a new technique and that surge of happiness that comes when someone says, "Wow! You made that?"

A handmade item without the passion is just another HH knockoff....
Old 05-30-2012, 09:09

I've only been dabbling at this for about a year, and did my first craft shows last year.

Got approved to 5 summer/fall shows, but will do Christmas shows again later in the year.

Is it worth it? I'd say yes, in terms of what I'm looking for

I love to craft, and this is my creative outlet. I love to make things. Do I expect it to be a self-supporting business anytime soon? No, and probably not ever, because I don't want to stress myself out. I have my full time job to pay the bills This biz is a hobby for extra spending money, and yes, I love doing it! I love making pretty things for little girls

Oh, and as to supplies??? After a year, I've probably only used 1% of the stuff bought last year, which I went crazy on buying I can't bear to let go of any of it
Old 06-04-2012, 10:04

If you are no longer enjoying it then it is time to move on to something else.
Sponsored Links