printed bottle caps fabric tape http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/categories/rhine-stone-flat-back-title-sm.jpg stripe ribbon mini bows 7/8" saddle stitch grosgrain ribbon crochet headband trim

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 05-08-2012, 05:11

Default Making korkers

So I have a lot of random ribbon and I wAs thinking of making korkers. But I have a question regarding baking them. Do u have to dampen the rowels or anything before putting them in the oven. I'm terrified of something setting on fire. Any tips would be great. Thank you
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/large/portrait-editing-ads-700.jpg
Old 05-08-2012, 05:16

Default Re: Making korkers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salina's Accessories View Post
So I have a lot of random ribbon and I wAs thinking of making korkers. But I have a question regarding baking them. Do u have to dampen the rowels or anything before putting them in the oven. I'm terrified of something setting on fire. Any tips would be great. Thank you

I dont wet the dowel rods. You are baking them at a lower temp....they wont combust. Just wrap the ribbon tightly around the rod, secure it (I use a small piece of wire at each end)...spray the, heavily with spray starch and bake at 250 for roughly 20 minutes. take out and allow to cool completely before unwrapping (I spray mine a second time and let them dry completely too before taking them off the dowel.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:47

I was terrifed of this as well. I use wooded clothes pins to hold my my ribbon to the dowel, wrap tightly. Then I run them under water and stick them in the oven at 275 for 25 minutes. Then I wait for them to cool, un wrap them cut them to my desired length, heat seal the ends, bound them together, and then spray them with fabric striffener then hang them upside down to dry so it says puffy. I use about 25-30 pieces in mine.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salina's Accessories View Post
No dampening needed. I usually starch them after I bake them, but I don't wet them first.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:38

I do 13 min at 300, dry ribbon, but with the convection fan on. Not sure how much difference that makes. I don't starch at all. I bought some of the lightly starched ones from RABOM once and hated them. Tossed them all out.
Old 05-10-2012, 03:27

I don't wet mine. I spray w startch and bake em at 275 for 35 mins. Let them cool completely and remove from rod. Then after I make the korker bow I spray it w stiffen stuff to make it extra stiff ( I dont like the flimsy ones) . Hth
Old 05-10-2012, 05:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by barleymom View Post
I do 13 min at 300, dry ribbon, but with the convection fan on. Not sure how much difference that makes. I don't starch at all. I bought some of the lightly starched ones from RABOM once and hated them. Tossed them all out.

Dont they come uncurled?
Old 05-10-2012, 05:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by showers7x3 View Post
I was terrifed of this as well. I use wooded clothes pins to hold my my ribbon to the dowel, wrap tightly. Then I run them under water and stick them in the oven at 275 for 25 minutes. Then I wait for them to cool, un wrap them cut them to my desired length, heat seal the ends, bound them together, and then spray them with fabric striffener then hang them upside down to dry so it says puffy. I use about 25-30 pieces in mine.

Thanks for the hanging them upside down tip, I will have to try that!
Old 05-10-2012, 05:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by BareNakedCleaners View Post
Dont they come uncurled?
Nope. I had some that I made for my daughter when she was young and 10 yrs later when some nieces came along, they inherited them and they were only slightly looser. She had also shoved one into her jacket (or maybe pants) pocket and I ended up washing it without knowing it and found it when I took the clothes out of the washer. I air dried it and it was just fine. If you use 100% polyester ribbon, it should hold its curl although some of the cheap spools end up with incorrect info on them. I've bought some only to find out they were actually nylon or something else (acetate? rayon? not sure).
Old 05-17-2012, 05:50

I've never had a problem. I worried about this the first time I made korker ribbon too, but I never dampened them at all. I've made tons since, they're so much fun! I also don't starch mine and they stand up just fine. I think as long as you've baked them long enough and are using quality ribbon they should be good.
Sponsored Links