Tested! Snap Clips Shipping Supplies Alligator Clips--Silver E-6000

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 05-02-2012, 03:25
Default Help with wedding garter (what kind of lace?)

Hi ladies! I am in a jam. As a gift, I offered to make my mom's best friend's daughter a hair flower and bridal sash. Now she wants me to make her a lace garter adorned with the same flowers I use on her sash. Problem is, I have NO idea how to make a garter, and she needs it in three weeks. Ugh.

I thought this would be a no-brainer, and I think once I have the right lace in hand it will be okay, but...I've spent HOURS and DAYS searching the Web for lace, and I'm kind of at a loss. Does anyone know what kind of lace you're supposed to use for a traditional lace garter? I don't want elastic lace, I know that. But other than that, should I be looking for the kind that lays flat or gathers or curves at the trim? Should it be scalloped? Scalloped on both the top and bottom? Help! LOL

Thanks so much!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-2012, 04:59
Default Re: Help with wedding garter (what kind of lace?)

The gather is going to be in the garter itself. But if the lace is gathered it will just be fuller. It all depends on what kind of garter she is looking for. Lace is lace just pick something she would like in doesn't even have to be lace, it could be organza.

There are probably tons of tutorials out there, here are a few...

This one has several ideas....

and another...

and keep in mind a bride usually has two garters, one to throw and one as a keepsake
Old 05-02-2012, 05:09

go to youtube and search they have numberous video to show you how to make different styles
Old 05-03-2012, 11:00

Thanks ladies. Yeah, I had seen a bunch of tutorials, but none that I saw offered any real input on what type of lace I was supposed to get. And I can't watch YouTube because I live out in the country where my connection is so bad it's the equivalent (and sometimes worse) of a 56K modem! It's so dang slow it takes me about an hour to download a ten minute video clip.

Jaykrusen, thank you for the input on the lace and materials. That makes sense. Good to know I can pretty much pick any lace. I really wasn't sure if there was one that was better than another for a garter...
Sponsored Links