New product--2.5' Zebra Printed Grosgrain Ribbon
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/banners/peace-sign-grosgrain-ribbon-ads.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/7-8-grosgrain-ribbon-volleyball-forest-green.jpg
New Instructions--How to make korker hair bow using a korker box hip girl boutique grosgrain ribbon korker for hair bows, hair clips, baby women, toddler, girl, adult, floral design, birthday holiday gift wrapping
New product--star ribbon for cheer bows

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 04-16-2012, 06:24

Default I got a woodburner...now what?

Ok, so I sent my hubby to Wal-Mart and he came back with a woodburner...hurray! I have been wanting one for a while and decided to take the plunge...

I fired it up and used it to make the pointed/leaf tip bow and success! it worked like a charm!

But then I got daring and wanted to try some v cuts and it didn't do so well.

So...any tips/tricks/help out there?? What are the best uses for this thing and what are some great tips for me to try while I am using it? I started to think that maybe I won't use it a lot...so convince me it was worth the money!!
Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2012, 07:22

Default Re: I got a woodburner...now what?

Unfortunately, I don't use mine as often as I had originally anticipated I would. It's an amazing time saver for when you're making a lot of cuts, such as cutting korker ribbon or cutting ribbon to line clips. However, for just a cut here and a cut there while making a bow, I have personally found it more efficient to just use scissors and a lighter. Especially for v-cuts. For a perfect v-cut every time, just fold your ribbon end in half lengthwise and make one diagonal cut.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:34

I only use mine to cut my korker ribbon, and truthfully lately I don't even use it. To me its more trouble than its worth and its a little scarey to me. I know some people swear by them but to me I would rather use my lighter.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhardison1 View Post
I only use mine to cut my korker ribbon, and truthfully lately I don't even use it. To me its more trouble than its worth and its a little scarey to me. I know some people swear by them but to me I would rather use my lighter.
Same here. Maybe it's just me but I can not figure out how to use it effectively. No matter which tip I use, I can not get a good cut and I am always getting some nasty buildup on it that gets all over the ribbon.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:57

I love my woodburner!!!

To make nice "v" cuts, fold your ribbon in half lengthwise, cut on the diagonal, and before you unfold, lightly tough it to the barrel of the woodburner. It will seal your perfect v-cut.

If you need to get any gunk off of your woodburner you can use extra fine grain sand paper to lightly rub off the build-up.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieMum View Post
I love my woodburner!!!

To make nice "v" cuts, fold your ribbon in half lengthwise, cut on the diagonal, and before you unfold, lightly tough it to the barrel of the woodburner. It will seal your perfect v-cut.

If you need to get any gunk off of your woodburner you can use extra fine grain sand paper to lightly rub off the build-up.

Oooh thanks! I was curious how to properly do that! (BTW, I'm from Johnson City and my DH is from Blountville. My SIL lives in Kingsport. We now live in Canada, though. Hopefully we'll be back close to there one day soon!)
Old 04-16-2012, 09:22

I just got one recently too, and I was making a TON of cuts for tuxedo bows. I'm sure I couldn't have cut all this ribbon so fast with scissors and a lighter.

It was a huge timesaver, namely because most of the cuts didn't need to be clean...ie...most of it was concealed.

However, I found that it doesn't always cut through the ribbon as cleanly as I would like it to. I use a glass board with measurements.

So when I find a piece that isn't quite as nice, i just lightly touch the edge of the ribbon against the flat edge of the burner, and it works great

However, I have burned myself once or twice, and man, it hurts WAY more than hot glue, LOL.

I still like it, but I agree with previous posters...if not making a lot of cuts, not worth it to heat it up, as I'm so clumsy, that I almost burned something with it, LOL. I forgot it was still on, and I was cutting some shelf liner (contact paper), and oops!! Burned a hole in it, haha.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:34

I LOVE mine! That being said, I also don't warm it up unless I know the kids are sleeping and I have a good chunk of time to work on ribbons. It just makes me too nervous. It took some time to get really good using it though. Now I use it for making all my ribbon sculptures. I rarely use my scissors to cut small pieces for ribbon sculptures now. The small details hold up so much better when I use the wood burner to cut them.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:12

How do you clean the wood burner in between cuts?
Old 04-17-2012, 09:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghayes View Post
How do you clean the wood burner in between cuts?
I don't need to clean in between every cut, but if I get some build up on it I just scrape it off using the rim of the coffee mug that I rest the burner in. If you need to clean in between every cut maybe you're letting the burner stay in contact with the ribbon too long so it's burning a lot of the ribbon?
Sponsored Links