printed bottle caps fabric tape http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/categories/rhine-stone-flat-back-title-sm.jpg stripe ribbon mini bows 7/8" saddle stitch grosgrain ribbon crochet headband trim

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 03-26-2012, 07:37

Default Sharpie Tie Dye on FOE anyone?

Hello.

Wondering if anyone has tried to do the sharpie tie dye on FOE for the bracelet/ponytail ties?

Someone on one of the groups I am in on FB did, and they were really cute. (I cannot find the post now, so I dont know if it was way further back than I thought or if it was removed!!) I just want to do a few for my step daughter for Easter. Tried one, and it is not bleeding out well.

So is it the elastic? Because I tried it on cotton and it bled out great and was really pretty, but the elastic it really isnt bleeding. Just a tiny bit, and just looks more like a mistake than anything crafty. I am bummed, I wanted it to turn out like the cotton did.

So I just wondered if anyone else has had any luck with this method and if you have any tips?

TIA!!

Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/large/portrait-editing-ads-700.jpg
Old 03-26-2012, 08:10

Default Re: Sharpie Tie Dye on FOE anyone?

You probably need to mist it with alcohol once your finished with the markers, this will make the colors bleed.
Hope this helps,
Jeannie

Facebook Group for Destash and Wholesaling your items. https://www.facebook.com/groups/Craf...handWholesale/
Old 03-26-2012, 08:52

I did, and it did not work. On the cotton that I tried it was great - as soon as I sprayed it the color changes were happening. But on the FOE it just hardly bled at all...so I added more....and nothing. I dont get it.

Old 03-27-2012, 01:00

You might try wetting the elastic before you put the Sharpie ink on it. I use to do that with craft paints and it made a difference. I don't know if you would need to use water or alchol.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandma View Post
You might try wetting the elastic before you put the Sharpie ink on it. I use to do that with craft paints and it made a difference. I don't know if you would need to use water or alchol.
I will try that today....Thank you!

Old 03-27-2012, 02:56

I just did it earlier today. It worked really well for me. I just used lots of rubbing alcohol in the spray bottle. Are you putting elastics on your foe first? The first time I forgot lol and just basically let my daughter colour all over the foe and sprayed it. Next time I did the elastics
Old 03-27-2012, 05:50

These I was doing without putting rubber bands on, I wanted it to streak more than tie dye, I guess. I have been playing off and on with it today. It seems to depend more on the amount of sharpie I am using, from what I can tell. So I am still playing with it. It isn't working exactly like I want, but it is much closer. If worse comes to worse I will do it the old school way.

Old 03-27-2012, 06:29

Are you doing anything to keep the color from bleeding later? I guess since I put them in wet hair it would be a concern of mine
Old 03-28-2012, 06:58

If you iron them in between old towels it sets the colour. I put them in my girls hair wet all the time and no bleeding.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by mum2tianna View Post
If you iron them in between old towels it sets the colour. I put them in my girls hair wet all the time and no bleeding.
That's awesome! Thanks for the tip
Sponsored Links