http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/mini-pinwheel-bow-snap-clips-22pc.jpg
New product--3' everyday (pinwheel) hair bow/hairbow clips

New products--grosgrain ribbon mini bows
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/peony-hair-flower-clips-red-ad.jpg
New product--Silk Geraniums

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 03-21-2012, 07:36

Unhappy Need Minnie Mouse party hat bow help! I'm overwhelmed, distraught,

nervous, worried, frantic, frustrated, confused, and ready to gouge my eyes out with the tip on the top of the hat!!!

My sweet 3-year-old granddaughter's birthday party is on Saturday. The theme is Minnie Mouse, and she desperately wants a party hat (with EARS) to go with her dress, which was made by a lovely lady on Etsy. In a moment of delusion, I told my daughter, who has been quite sick with mono for the past month, "Don't give the hat another thought! I'll make it! No problem! Trust me!"

I won't even begin to describe how non-No Problem it was, but the bulk of it is made at this point (ears included!). All that's left, besides affixing a number three to the front, which I want to do after the bow is in place, is making said bow.

After spending hours of online research trying to find the best Minnie-like bow, I went ahead and made a tuxedo bow (my very first bow ever!), using 1.5 pink with white dots gg ribbon. It came out to about 3.75 inches wide. When I held it up at the top of the hat, in between the dreaded ears, I was aghast to discover that it looked downright pitiful. It's just too small for the space.

Here is where I stand right now:

1. The party is in less than 72 hours.

2. I only have 25.75 inches of ribbon left. (If I get desperate enough, I do have 3 yards of 7/8 satin ribbon in the same color.) I have neither
the time nor the money to buy any more ribbon. Oh, if it helps, I do have 7/8 gg ribbon in solid pink or 3/8 solid white for the center.

3. I've only made the one bow (the aforementioned tuxedo) and need to find a style that I maybe, possibly, with the grace of God, and many, many HG prayers could actually make (aka easy)--with only one shot at it using the "good" ribbon.

4. I am overwhelmed, distraught, nervous, etc., by the different names used to describe the same bow. One person's "basic" bow is another's "twisted boutique", or another's "pinwheel". This sad reality is making it difficult for me to research tuts by the exact name of the bow, since they seem to vary so much. Oh, and some of the tuts I found that looked semi-semi-semi promising were for 7/8 ribbon, which I'm afraid will be too narrow, and because of the Name Problem, I can't figure out which length ribbon I'll need for 1.5 ribbon, using the ribbon length "charts" out there, including the ones on the forum.

5. The pinwheel seems to be the easiest for newbies to make, but I don't think that it looks particularly like the one that Real Minnie wears. I did find this version on HG.com that looks like it might work:

http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/in...ducts_id=11626

But the problem with it is that the only tut I could find for a pinwheel on the HG site was for a slightly different style, which I don't think looks as Real Minnie-like:

http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/in...ducts_id=12612

6. I'm deranged enough at this point that I'm actually seriously considering trying a twisted. Yes, twisted.

7. Here are the twisted tuts I've found that look the easiest--"easiest" being a relative term:

http://www.hair-hardware.com/blogs/news (last video on page)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcbOFRvZin4

http://www.free-homemade-gift-ideas....for-girls.html (This looks like a pic version of the youtube one. Both use homemade tuts and techniques that resemble NBNG's.)

Are you still awake???

If so, here are my specific questions:

A. Any chance that I could pull off a twisted? It wouldn't have to be perfect; in fact, if the bottom loops are larger than the top, it would actually resemble Real Minnie's more!

B. If I go with a twisted, how wide should I make the template for a 4-inch bow? At the end of the youtube video, the narrator shows a few other sizes of templates that she uses. The bow she makes in the video uses one that is 4.5 inches wide and calls for 22.5 inches of 7/8 ribbon. (She never specifies how big the bow is; it looks like about 3 inches to me.) Another template she uses is 6 inches wide and calls for 29 inches of 1.5 ribbon. Again, no idea of size of bow, and I only have 25.75 inches of ribbon. Would, say, a 5.5-inch template make a bow that is about 4 inches wide and uses 25-25.5 inches of ribbon?

C. If the 4.5-inch HG.com pinwheel is my best bet, where is the tut for it?

D. I am open to and would welcome any other suggestions!

Thanks so much! (Sorry this was so long.)

P.S. Uh-oh. This tut suggests a ribbon length of 32 inches for a 4-inch twisted using 1.5 ribbon. I'm about 6 inches too short!

http://www.girlythingsbows.com/boutique_bow.html

I guess I could always use the icky 7/8 satin, but I would imagine that it would be too slippery for a newbie to use, especially in a twisted.

Last edited by patjnj; 03-21-2012 at 08:44. Reason: Added P.S.
Sponsored Links
300-700-forum-banners
wholesale rompers, dresses, bloomers, hat, headbands, leg warmers, flower layers, tulle, boutique clothing and other craft supplies
Old 03-21-2012, 08:56

Default Re: Need Minnie Mouse party hat bow help! I'm overwhelmed, distraught,

I am going to go find this adorable Minnie Mouse bow I saw the other day on etsy. I don't sew, but I made this bow, so cute. Just not sure if its what you're looking for. ANd as far as the twisted, have you ever made one?? If not, and you're already poking your eyes out, stay away fromthe twisted until you finish the hat!! They will def make you poke your eyes out!!! I'll be right back with that bow.
Ok, here it is. Not sure if you sew or not, but I am not a sewer and I actually pulled this off. I used some fleece material but you could use any. And I also made it smaller. I hope this helps. I think her bows are soooo cute. If this is not what you're looking for, I would just do the tuxedo bow. Thats what Minnie wears. ANd if you're doing the ears and all, a tuxedo bow will look just fine. http://www.etsy.com/listing/94410993...k-pigtail-hair

Last edited by mlhardison1; 03-21-2012 at 09:01.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:11

Another idea, is you don't like the bow above, use your satin ribbon and make two tuxedo bows and put them together so that it looks fuller. With the time crunch and yu being overwhelmed, I would keep it simple at this point. I can only imagine that it is already so cute with the ears and having the number 3 and all. Don't sweat a bow. Minnies bow is pretty simple.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhardison1 View Post
I am going to go find this adorable Minnie Mouse bow I saw the other day on etsy. I don't sew, but I made this bow, so cute. Just not sure if its what you're looking for. ANd as far as the twisted, have you ever made one?? If not, and you're already poking your eyes out, stay away fromthe twisted until you finish the hat!! They will def make you poke your eyes out!!! I'll be right back with that bow.
Ok, here it is. Not sure if you sew or not, but I am not a sewer and I actually pulled this off. I used some fleece material but you could use any. And I also made it smaller. I hope this helps. I think her bows are soooo cute. If this is not what you're looking for, I would just do the tuxedo bow. Thats what Minnie wears. ANd if you're doing the ears and all, a tuxedo bow will look just fine. http://www.etsy.com/listing/94410993...k-pigtail-hair
Thank you for being brave enough to read through that mess! The hat is done except for the bow, so I could maybe try my hand at a twisted... (No, never made one before; the only bow so far is the pathetic-looking tuxedo that I already made for the hat. It really looks so skimpy against the ears.) I'll see if I can post a pic of it tomorrow.

Those Etsy bows are adorable, but I can only work with what I have in the house, which is the 1.5 gg and the 7/8 satin ribbon--plus one of the Etsy bows would probably be too heavy on the cardstock hat base...

Thanks for your input!
Old 03-21-2012, 09:22

Quote:
Another idea, is you don't like the bow above, use your satin ribbon and make two tuxedo bows and put them together so that it looks fuller. With the time crunch and yu being overwhelmed, I would keep it simple at this point. I can only imagine that it is already so cute with the ears and having the number 3 and all. Don't sweat a bow. Minnies bow is pretty simple.
Now, there's a thought!!! Being bow-challenged, though, I'm not sure if you mean that I would stack them (and would I make the top one slightly smaller than the bottom one?)--or place them side by side (long sides touching), pinch them together and join them with one center ribbon?

I think I'm in love with you! I've literally been making myself sick to my stomach, trying to make a hat that my granddaughter will love and that my own DD will be proud of (in front of the "other" grandmother... you know how that is!!)
Old 03-21-2012, 09:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by patjnj View Post
Now, there's a thought!!! Being bow-challenged, though, I'm not sure if you mean that I would stack them (and would I make the top one slightly smaller than the bottom one?)--or place them side by side (long sides touching), pinch them together and join them with one center ribbon?

I think I'm in love with you! I've literally been making myself sick to my stomach, trying to make a hat that my granddaughter will love and that my own DD will be proud of (in front of the "other" grandmother... you know how that is!!)
Yep, I would definitely make the top one just slightly smaller and just stack them right on top of each other.
I know, sometimes you know what you want but just can't come up with it. You have me searching Minnie Mouse bows on etsy!! Now I have some new things I want to make, just what I need!!
Good luck!! I really wouldn't stress. I think the bow is going to be the smallest part of the hat. I wish I could do the hat! She's 3, she's going to love it no matter. And I bet she/you get tons of compliments!!
Old 03-21-2012, 09:39

make 2 of the tuxedo bows use 9 inches of 1.5 in ribbon fold it in half bring the 2 ends to the middle and sew up down up down up then do the other the same way. stack the first one on the 2nd one and spread them to show the loop parts of each. glue them then wrap a ribbon around the center.
hth!
Old 03-21-2012, 09:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by patjnj View Post
I've literally been making myself sick to my stomach, trying to make a hat that my granddaughter will love and that my own DD will be proud of (in front of the "other" grandmother... you know how that is!!)
OK, I love this...I can see the "Grandma Wars!" now LOLZ. If you need anything to swing the tables your way I'll be glad to help in the future. I'm a wannabe Grandma myself....not that I want my girls to have babies yet, but I want a baby around to sew for!!

Also, would like to see pics from the party, in her Etsy dress and party hat!! PLEASE
Old 03-21-2012, 11:19

Quote:
Yep, I would definitely make the top one just slightly smaller and just stack them right on top of each other.
I know, sometimes you know what you want but just can't come up with it. You have me searching Minnie Mouse bows on etsy!! Now I have some new things I want to make, just what I need!!
Good luck!! I really wouldn't stress. I think the bow is going to be the smallest part of the hat. I wish I could do the hat! She's 3, she's going to love it no matter. And I bet she/you get tons of compliments!!
Thanks again for all your support! Glad you have new things to make = more supplies to buy!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahMerritt_22 View Post
make 2 of the tuxedo bows use 9 inches of 1.5 in ribbon fold it in half bring the 2 ends to the middle and sew up down up down up then do the other the same way. stack the first one on the 2nd one and spread them to show the loop parts of each. glue them then wrap a ribbon around the center.
hth!
Thank you! Do you mean that I should crease each bow first and then sew in the middle (maintaining the creases)--or sew each in the middle and then pull the thread to cinch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaykrusen View Post
OK, I love this...I can see the "Grandma Wars!" now LOLZ. If you need anything to swing the tables your way I'll be glad to help in the future. I'm a wannabe Grandma myself....not that I want my girls to have babies yet, but I want a baby around to sew for!!

Also, would like to see pics from the party, in her Etsy dress and party hat!! PLEASE
The other grandmother lives 15 minutes away from my DD and sees both of my granddaughters (the 3-year-old's little sister is 8 months old) almost every day; she takes the older little miss places all the time, has "sleepovers" with her, does lots of fun things with her, etc. I, on the other hand, live an hour and 45 minutes away and am lucky if I get to see them once a month. I know it's not a rivalry, but it still hurts that circumstances are such that the girls will always feel closer to Her, simply because of the different circumstances. I've initiated some special activities and traditions with the birthday girl, and will do that with the baby, too, just so she'll know that I love them, no matter how infrequently I see them.

I will do my best to take those pics and upload them! If nothing else, I'll definitely post pics of the finished hat (and the fairy princess wand I made for her!) before they are handed off to her on Saturday!
Old 03-21-2012, 11:42

yes sew and the sewing (up down up down up down) will create a crease when you cinch it.

Good luck
Sponsored Links