New product--flat back resin
Hipgirl 40 Yards 3/8" Grosgrain Fabric Ribbon Polka Dot Set For Gift Package Wrapping, Hair Bow Clips & Accessories Making, Crafting, Sewing, Wedding Decor, Boy Girl Baby Shower-20x2yd Swiss Polka Dot
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/banners/heatnbond-lt-ad.jpg
New product--frog grosgrain ribbon
New product--5/8' dippin' dots grosgrain ribbon
New product--pop dots

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 03-20-2012, 08:37

Question Help with a tutu style prom dress

I am fairly new to sewing, but follow instructions well. I am making my sisters prom dress and am very nervous about the bottom of the dress. I want it to be very fluffy, plus I have to incorporate 3 tulle colors into the bottom. I am thinking something like this, except she doesn't want finished edges. How can I sew the skirt part to be ruffly and full like this one?

Thanks
Tara

creativehobbies.weebly.com
hobbiesandevents.blogspot.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VP00074_002_a.jpg (16.5 KB, 101 views)
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/jewelboxballerina-300.jpg
Old 03-20-2012, 08:58

Default Re: Help with a tutu style prom dress

I wish I was talented enough to make a dress!!!

Go you for taking this project on!
Old 03-20-2012, 10:57

Its sewn and gathered in seperate layers
Old 03-21-2012, 12:05

So would I gather each layer then sew them on top of each other and the lining? When I say new to sewing I mean this is like the 3rd garment I have ever made. I basically learned how to work a machine and then made my daughter's birthday dress and my sister decided I could sew enough to do her dress
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1341.jpg (45.8 KB, 50 views)
Old 03-21-2012, 03:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk_duchess04 View Post
I am fairly new to sewing, but follow instructions well. I am making my sisters prom dress and am very nervous about the bottom of the dress. I want it to be very fluffy, plus I have to incorporate 3 tulle colors into the bottom. I am thinking something like this, except she doesn't want finished edges. How can I sew the skirt part to be ruffly and full like this one?

Thanks
Tara

creativehobbies.weebly.com
hobbiesandevents.blogspot.com
That's not tulle in the photo, it's organza from what I can see. You are going to get a completely different skirt depending on what fabric you use. Vera Wangs "White" collection gives a grea example of how to achieve the wave effect. If you are near a David's Bridal, venture in and ask to see the collection then check out the stitching under the skirt.

You'll have to sew it in waves slightly to achieve this -or- use a gathered box pleat on the under layers.

I hope that helps!
Old 03-21-2012, 03:31

Oh and if you will be using organza and do not want to finish the edges like in the photo, be sure to cut your the fabric for your layers on the bias so that it doesn't fray.

Since you are nervous, I'd suggest draping and pinning the skirt on a dress form if you have one before sewing it. Once you see that everything is how you want it, you can sew with confidence!

Last edited by Tiara; 03-21-2012 at 03:33.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:58

OK, like Tiara said, that is NOT tulle. You are very brave to take on a project like that for your third garment LOL.

It is either chiffon or organza, and even if you cut it on the bias it IS going to ravel and honestly, you're going to be pulling your hair out if you are going to sew chiffon or organza on a bias. Trust me on this. Not only will it pull out of shape while sewing, The first rule of sewing a skirt on the bias is to let it hang for 24 to 48 hours after attaching the skirt because it WILL fall out of shape, then you cut the hem even and THEN you finish the edges. And aside from all of that, those fabrics slip like crazy and there are several layers in that skirt.

If you are using tulle for the skirt perhaps trying the ribbon sewn on the edges for a ribbon candy effect on the layers. Here is a link to a tutu with ribbon on it.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/94631828...facet=handmade

I know this works because my friend Jozel did it over the weekend on an American Girl tutu and it came out beautiful! Also with the ribbon attached you don't use as much tulle.

Also, step by step progress on the forum under sewing gallery would be nice and we can maybe offer suggestions along the way LOL!!!

Good Luck!!!
Jayne
Old 03-21-2012, 09:01

Is this your DD? And the dress you made? Absolutely adorable!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk_duchess04 View Post
I basically learned how to work a machine and then made my daughter's birthday dress and my sister decided I could sew enough to do her dress
Old 03-21-2012, 09:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaykrusen View Post
OK, like Tiara said, that is NOT tulle. You are very brave to take on a project like that for your third garment LOL.

It is either chiffon or organza, and even if you cut it on the bias it IS going to ravel and honestly, you're going to be pulling your hair out if you are going to sew chiffon or organza on a bias. Trust me on this. Not only will it pull out of shape while sewing, The first rule of sewing a skirt on the bias is to let it hang for 24 to 48 hours after attaching the skirt because it WILL fall out of shape, then you cut the hem even and THEN you finish the edges. And aside from all of that, those fabrics slip like crazy and there are several layers in that skirt.

If you are using tulle for the skirt perhaps trying the ribbon sewn on the edges for a ribbon candy effect on the layers. Here is a link to a tutu with ribbon on it.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/94631828...facet=handmade

I know this works because my friend Jozel did it over the weekend on an American Girl tutu and it came out beautiful! Also with the ribbon attached you don't use as much tulle.

Also, step by step progress on the forum under sewing gallery would be nice and we can maybe offer suggestions along the way LOL!!!

Good Luck!!!
Jayne
Very good advice! I missed where this was Tara's third garment. Yeah, scratch using organza and cutting it on the bias. Go with ribbon lined tulle as Jayne suggested. Not only is working with fabric on the bias difficult, but is very time consuming as well! DO NOT TRY THAT AT HOME (YET), SORRY!
Old 03-21-2012, 09:56

You will never get that wavy look from just tulle. It has a crisper edge and it will be more stiffer.

The ribbon edged is as close as you will get. To get the effect of the photo, you will need to cut the skirt out of fabric and sew the layers of tulle ruffles to the skirt at levels from top to bottom with a slight overlap.

This is quite adventureous for your third garment. Hope it turns out great.
Sponsored Links

Tags
formal dress, help me, how to, newbie, sewing projects