http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/mini-pinwheel-bow-snap-clips-22pc.jpg
New product--3' everyday (pinwheel) hair bow/hairbow clips

New products--grosgrain ribbon mini bows
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/peony-hair-flower-clips-red-ad.jpg
New product--Silk Geraniums

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 02-28-2012, 10:42

Default Re: Pointy/leaf tip bow instructions

Quote:
Originally Posted by barleymom View Post
I'm not sure what you mean. You put the folds together in order that they are marked. You are supposed to have one tail at the top and one at the bottom. Maybe if you post a photo of what you ended up with, I can understand what you're asking. I have attached a photo from an old tutorial I did for this bow using 5/8" ribbon. (Funny how it's also hot pink!) Maybe that will help. It shows the pin going through the holes I made in the ribbon with the woodburner.

The problem with printed ribbon is, the other side is usually just white or else you can see the dots or prints through to on the other side. But if you do use it you'd probably want the print to end up on the inside of the bow where it will be more visible. I'm not sure how bulky it will end up if you line a printed ribbon.

prleaf, cute! As I said above, my original tut for this bow at the free hairbows group used 5/8" ribbon. I did this new one up with 1 1/2" and two layers since that was the bow that someone wanted instructions for.
Thank you for posting that last picture. I was not.following.the. directions.at.all, LOL! I think I got it now
Sponsored Links
Old 02-29-2012, 04:35

Nice! I'm going to have to try this!
Old 03-01-2012, 07:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by barleymom View Post
Took a while, but here are my instructions. I hope they are not too hard to understand. Not like I do tutorials for a living. LOL

1 - Mark ribbon. I did this one every 5 1/2 inches with 3 inch tails, so the total length was 28 inches of ribbon. 1 1/2" wide ribbon.

2 - This shows how the ribbon will need to be laid out when you start folding it together. Sorry, I was doing this myself with one hand on the ribbon and one holding the camera!
Thanks for the tutorial! I've attached a pic of one I made using the picture you posted on the other thread. I had a hard time figuring out the lengths and getting the loops close to being even, now that you've posted such a detailed tut I can't wait to try it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raelin06 View Post
Dumb questions here...
Are you taking the ribbon on top, bottom, or middle after making the second loop. Does that make sense? When I got finished I had a tail on top and a tail on the very bottom, so I couldn't tie anything.

And does it make a difference if you are using printed ribbon?

Thanks
Here's an example of what printed ribbon would look like, if you put the print on the inside.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-03-01 18.58.26.jpg (44.9 KB, 55 views)
Old 03-02-2012, 09:37

if you want to use printed ribbon, i would suggest double-layering, a print on one side and coordinating solid on the opposite...or maybe use school colors, one on each side
Old 03-03-2012, 01:54

This bow is super cute! I was confused at first..but if I understand correctly you don't need to do two bows, that's just how you did it in the tutorial?? It would still look good with just one bow??
Old 03-03-2012, 07:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faithsmommy2 View Post
This bow is super cute! I was confused at first..but if I understand correctly you don't need to do two bows, that's just how you did it in the tutorial?? It would still look good with just one bow??
I made some with just one layer. i really like the look. Also, when they are in the hair they are substantial, but lay more flat than a Boutique style bow.

Old 03-03-2012, 08:57

great, thanks for sharing
Old 03-03-2012, 09:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizeancutie View Post
Thanks for the tutorial! I've attached a pic of one I made using the picture you posted on the other thread. I had a hard time figuring out the lengths and getting the loops close to being even, now that you've posted such a detailed tut I can't wait to try it again.

Here's an example of what printed ribbon would look like, if you put the print on the inside.
yup . . . and the other side would be plain white. try folding the ribbon so that the solid is together and the printed side is on the outside.

the 1st pic - bow on the left is like yours - thumbs down! but the one on the right . . . i did it w/dora ribbon & put a one of those fluff flowers in the middle to cover up the plain ribbon - worked great.

now, if you turn the bow over, it's all printed
also including a pic of my finished irish bunny

i'm gonna try your idea snazzy teez . . . that's a great one!

edit - couldn't find my stick glue - so i used glue dots on the 3/8" ribbon . . . works great.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pointy bow 3.jpg (79.4 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg pointy bow 4.jpg (79.1 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg pointy bow 5 bunny.jpg (82.5 KB, 43 views)

Last edited by prleaf; 03-03-2012 at 09:09.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieMum View Post
I made some with just one layer. i really like the look. Also, when they are in the hair they are substantial, but lay more flat than a Boutique style bow.

gorgeous! i'm assuming these are done w/ 1.5" ribbon . . . i gotta take a deep breath & try it.

any chance you can take a pic of the other side?

Last edited by prleaf; 03-03-2012 at 09:10.
Old 04-13-2012, 04:58

Those are beautiful! I've never seen this type of bow before. I've gotta try it! thank you so much for the detailed tute.