key fob hardware marabou cherry-blossom-silk-hair-flower 3/8" double ruffle ribbon free tutorial-bottle caps felt circle http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/3in-spike-18pc-set.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 02-24-2012, 01:35

Default help with tutu...please

Ok so I made my oldest dd a tutu for her birthday a few weeks ago. I posted it and got really good feedback. But I really want to make a fluffy tutu. And I dont know how to. I googled "how to make a tutu". But found nothing for a full tutu. I even read a few threads on hg on how to. Some ladies say use the up and down method. I just still dont get it.
My problem with the tutu I recently made is when I put the tutu on my dd I can still see the elastic. Like a few gaps and if I put more elastic it stretches out. I dont know how much tulle I used but I know it wasnt that much.
Are there any good tuts for fluffy tutus? I looked on etsy but didnt find any for full tutus.

Here is the tutu I like. Really full and not bulky at the top.

And here is the tutu I made for my daughter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lilys 4 bday (2).jpg (35.5 KB, 66 views)
Sponsored Links
300-700-forum-banners
wholesale rompers, dresses, bloomers, hat, headbands, leg warmers, flower layers, tulle, boutique clothing and other craft supplies
Old 02-24-2012, 03:20

Default Re: help with tutu...please

Ill be nice and share my secret. When I make a tutu I tie 2 pieces of tulle on the elastic... then tie 2 more on the first loop. (between the tulle and elastic. HTH! BIG FLUFFY TUTUS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maudie65 View Post
Ok so I made my oldest dd a tutu for her birthday a few weeks ago. I posted it and got really good feedback. But I really want to make a fluffy tutu. And I dont know how to. I googled "how to make a tutu". But found nothing for a full tutu. I even read a few threads on hg on how to. Some ladies say use the up and down method. I just still dont get it.
My problem with the tutu I recently made is when I put the tutu on my dd I can still see the elastic. Like a few gaps and if I put more elastic it stretches out. I dont know how much tulle I used but I know it wasnt that much.
Are there any good tuts for fluffy tutus? I looked on etsy but didnt find any for full tutus.

Here is the tutu I like. Really full and not bulky at the top.

And here is the tutu I made for my daughter.
Old 02-25-2012, 03:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChloesBowtique4511 View Post
Ill be nice and share my secret. When I make a tutu I tie 2 pieces of tulle on the elastic... then tie 2 more on the first loop. (between the tulle and elastic. HTH! BIG FLUFFY TUTUS!
Wow thanks for sharing! I still don't get it though. Maybe this is just not my niche. I so want it to be but its just so stinkin complicated. ugh!

Wait a minute, could I be using the wrong size elastic? I'm using half inch of the non roll stuff.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:05

possibly. I use the 1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by maudie65 View Post
Wow thanks for sharing! I still don't get it though. Maybe this is just not my niche. I so want it to be but its just so stinkin complicated. ugh!

Wait a minute, could I be using the wrong size elastic? I'm using half inch of the non roll stuff.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:30

This is how I make mine

I buy 1 inch non roll elastic though you could prob use 1/2 inch

Sew your waist
Cut your tulle to how long you want, don't forget to double A easy way to do this is do roll is on cookie pan and then cut all at once!

Take 3 pieces of tulle and make a horizontal knot
Then make a vertical knot and pul tight and go all the way around until you see none of the elastic! This makes a VERY full tutu!
HTH!
Old 02-25-2012, 08:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChloesBowtique4511 View Post
possibly. I use the 1"

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.BowlingtheBowMaker View Post
This is how I make mine

Sew your waist
Cut your tulle to how long you want, don't forget to double A easy way to do this is do roll is on cookie pan and then cut all at once!

Then make a vertical knot and pul tight and go all the way around until you see none of the elastic! This makes a VERY full tutu!
HTH!

Ok. I think I get your way. Make a tie then over that do the loop tie. I think I have seen that way on another thread. And I'm sure I'm not using the right lingo but I think I get it.
Now do you use 3 pieces of tulle for the second tie?
Old 02-25-2012, 09:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.BowlingtheBowMaker View Post
This is how I make mine

Sew your waist

HTH!

I do not get the horizontal vertical knot thing ..I am sorry but never made a tutu but want to give it a try
Old 02-25-2012, 10:22

It is the same 3 pieces for both knots. It is like tying a double knot, one knot long ways and one knot up and down all with the same three pieces of tulle HTH!
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/jewelboxballerina-300.jpg