http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/jewelboxballerina-800.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 01-28-2012, 03:52

Default Re: Anyone made this?

Thank you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chippychick View Post
I have just ordered some ostrich boas, which I think would be softer. They are about 20.00 a piece so a little pricier.. I dont think it would be hard to attach the feathers to the tulle, a little time consuming. I have a pink halter dress but I sew mine so it does not have the headband bodice.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2012, 03:53

Thanks for advice on dental floss!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarplumfactory View Post
Hand sew, but only stich every couple inches. If you sew it all the way it won't be able to stretch and the stitches will break. I used dental floss and that was a strong hold.
Old 01-28-2012, 03:55

Yea I think so too. I was hoping someone would have made one of these and was willing to share but I totally understand! You can't give away all your secrets But nontheless I have got some great advice so far!
Quote:
Originally Posted by melody3333 View Post
Nobody has really told on how they do their dresses. I think that is a secret that they are keeping to themselves. LOL. I understand why though

To me you make it like any other tutu just longer. Stitch every couple inches like that other lady had mentioned for boa.

Trial and error. It can get expensive doing that but I would rather do it on a small child then a larger one
Old 01-28-2012, 03:55

I know it! Are they not just the cutest little spin on tutus!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zellayancy View Post
OMG! I love these!!!! I am definitely going to have to look into figuring out how to make these as well! My girls would just flip for one of these!
Old 01-28-2012, 03:56

Oh wow!! Thank you! I had seen the 1st link but NOT the second!!! A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zellayancy View Post
Ok. Here's some places I found with some tuts on them. I'll link them. Not exactly what you are looking for but they might give you an idea!

http://www.simplesimonandco.com/2011...ther-tutu.html
http://www.wildflowersandwhimsy.com/...-tutorial.html
Old 01-28-2012, 04:22

WANT one!!! Beautiful!!
Old 01-28-2012, 05:54

It is possible to machine sew on feather Boas. You just have to use a zig zag stitch and hold the feathers out of the way and stitch over the center cord.

I ave never made a tutu with feathers but my sister and I did these costumes (below) and got quite used to working with feathers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lionking1.jpg (106.3 KB, 51 views)
Old 01-29-2012, 10:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.BowlingtheBowMaker View Post
Oh wow!! Thank you! I had seen the 1st link but NOT the second!!! A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!
No problem at all! Glad I could help!!!
Old 01-30-2012, 05:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaykrusen View Post
It is possible to machine sew on feather Boas. You just have to use a zig zag stitch and hold the feathers out of the way and stitch over the center cord.

I ave never made a tutu with feathers but my sister and I did these costumes (below) and got quite used to working with feathers.
omg - the 2 of you are so talented - the costumes look fantastic!
Old 03-07-2012, 09:57

I have made MANY of these!! what I do is, I never attached it to tulle. I make a skirt (measure from waist to knee and leave a 2in seam allowance at the top and seam the bottom) and lay the boas down. I zig zag over mine like every 4 inches and if they sag i'll go back and hand stitch in between (it beats hand stitching the whole thing). Depending on what size you are doing I would get 3-6 boas, make sure you have a coupon when you buy them cause unless you buy them wholesale they are very expensive. When your done attaching them if you are making just a skirt just add the elastic waist and stitch up the side seam. If you want to attach it to a crochet top, you can sew it onto it BUT it can be tricky so my suggestion would be add the elastic waist then hand stitch it to the crochet top.
I hope that wasnt too confusing!
Sponsored Links