New product--2.5' Mini Korker Bows
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/no-bow-no-go-grip.gif http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/Shabby-frayed-chiffon-flowers-turq.JPG
new products--dippin dots mini pinwheel bow
Unique ebooks, accessories, little pink ladybug

Clickin' Moms
10% off: FRIEND

ribbon sculpture tutorial

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 01-21-2012, 12:33

Default Need recs for die-cutting machine and cover-button press

Hi everyone!

I have finally decided I am tired of cutting my felt! I am looking for recommendations on a die-cutting machine that will cut felt, fabric, and of course paper.

So far, I have read a lot about the Sizzix Big Shot. It seems to be versatile - I just read a review that stated it will use die plates from other brands. This sounds great...if it is true! If you have the Big Shot, do you like it? Or do you have another great machine? Please let me know your opinions.

I also need recs for a cover-button press. So far I have been using the plastic hand tools and they are not reliable...half the time they mess up the back of my buttons! All I know is that there is a "press" for covering buttons (with fabric) out there...but I have no idea what it looks like, brands, etc.

Please share your opinions. I am looking to purchase these items in about a week. TIA!
Sponsored Links
http://www.sissyfrissys.com
Old 01-21-2012, 12:39

Default Re: Need recs for die-cutting machine and cover-button press

I have a big shot and love it, it works great to cut felt and lots of other brand of dies work with it.
Old 01-21-2012, 12:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixie1115 View Post
I have a big shot and love it, it works great to cut felt and lots of other brand of dies work with it.
Yep!! I agree!!
Old 01-21-2012, 12:58

I love my big shot too! Ive loved all my sizzix machimes
Old 01-21-2012, 01:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by casemarten View Post
I also need recs for a cover-button press. So far I have been using the plastic hand tools and they are not reliable...half the time they mess up the back of my buttons! All I know is that there is a "press" for covering buttons (with fabric) out there...but I have no idea what it looks like, brands, etc.
This is all I do. Seriously. I have no life... I can answer any question you have, and you don't even have to buy from me.
Old 01-21-2012, 01:45

Thanks Dede!

I looked at your site...basically I would prefer to not have to buy such a large (and expensive) press. I do fabric covered buttons maybe a dozen at a time, so I'm not doing volume nor do I have a crafting area to myself. But I really, really love the way covered buttons look! I use them as bow centers, on clips, bobby pins, ponytail holders...regular hair stuff. I wear them a lot myself

Do you know anything about the smaller hand-press type tools? I have been looking online and have found several that seem to be a cross-over tool from scrapbooking/making brads. Specifically, I am looking at the Imaginesce I-top tool that says it can make covered buttons, pins, etc.

Anyone tried this tool?? Or anything similar? Thanks
Old 01-21-2012, 01:47

Also, do you guys have any recs for things I need to get along with the Big Shot?? Like do I need to buy extra pads or anything to accommodate different die sets? I'm totally new to this but would like to have what I need when I purchase so I can set up and play immediately
Old 01-21-2012, 01:56

Also Dede, do your buttons work with other press devices? If so, I will definitely purchase from you They seem very good quality and slightly better prices than what I've been paying.
Old 01-21-2012, 03:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by casemarten View Post
Also, do you guys have any recs for things I need to get along with the Big Shot?? Like do I need to buy extra pads or anything to accommodate different die sets? I'm totally new to this but would like to have what I need when I purchase so I can set up and play immediately
The Big Shot comes with all the plates you need for conversion. Eventually the cutting pads need to be replaced but you can get a ton of wear out of them before that becomes necessary. I just got one last month, and it is by far one of my favorite things I've bought for making hair accessories. If you want to cut felt, the thick dies with a foam surface (Originals and Bigz) work the best for cutting fabric and felt. I tried the Nestabilities and had a lot of difficulty with fabric and felt, but I have since heard that if you place a piece of cardstock on top, you can get them to cut the thicker felt sold by the yard. I haven't been able to try this out yet though, because I took the set back and got other Sizzix dies instead. Someday, when my budget allows, I'm going to try them again.

The other die-cut machine out there is the Cuttlebug. I haven't tried this one, but from the photos I don't think it is as sturdy as the Sizzix. The sides on it fold up for storage, which is a nice option. But, I worry that down the road they could break more easily. The Sizzix however, is incredibly sturdy and feels like it is built to last.
Old 01-21-2012, 03:34

Watch this YouTube video carefully - specifically, look at the finished button edges: www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUABpC3V8f0

You get better buttons with the Dritz tool, and that's saying something.

"Home" button tools attempt to duplicate the machine, which has been around for 150 years - it's Victorian technology, built for generations of hard use. Dritz and i-Top buttons are made of softer metal, so they can be pressed by hand. Machine buttons are designed to be made, well... with a machine, although a couple of customers have reported success using the Dritz tool and a drill press. Also a sofa.

There are dies available for over 12 different button sizes, two snap sizes, rivets, ventilators, and 11 different grommet sizes. I stock eight different button backs. If you need brads, you can make them with our flat backs:

Our buttons work in all American button dies (and some European). I am always happy to help you with any used equipment you might find, or offer my professional opinion and advice.

Rather than add our new products to the website, we're re-writing the whole thing. Everything is scheduled to be introduced in April, including our new rhinestone snaps.

If the only felt shape you need is a circle, button dies include a round cutter that cuts stacks of perfect circles. Flowers? Not so much...
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/jewelboxballerina-300.jpg