zebra grosgrain ribbon-new colors cheetah animal prints grosgrain ribbon grosgrain ribbon korkers
Shop by color--grosgrain ribbon, hair bows, craft supplies

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 01-20-2012, 11:43
Default Perky Bows - Bake or Hair Spray???

I'm wanting to add some perk to my stacked boutiques so they hold their shape better. I've heard of baking them the same as korkers and of using hair spray - never tried either of those. My question is this - Which works best to help the bow keep shape?

And with hair spray, wouldn't that leave it smelling funny? What about people sensitive to scents?

My Etsy
Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2012, 11:58
Default Re: Perky Bows - Bake or Hair Spray???

I only bake my korkers after spraying them with starch. I used to just spray my bows with starch but i have found that i like hairspray better. It gives the bows better hold imo. I just use the unscented hairspray, while it doesnt have much scent it does leave the bows smelling nice and fresh and they stay stiff too. Sometimes after washing them i will respray them but most of the time the intial spray keeps them firm. I dont bake after i spray themi juat let them dry on their own. The hairspray dries much quicker than the spray starch. I have never had a customer that has had a problem with the scent of a bow. HTH.
Kathryn Giles
A Little Bit of Sass Bowtique
Old 01-20-2012, 12:02

I use a spray called stiffen stuff, you can find it at Hobby Lobby, and it's non-toxic which makes me feel more comfortable, because know little ones like to stick things in their mouths.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:39

Thanks for the input!

I like the idea of non-toxic! Younger babies definitely chew things. I haven't had my daughters ever chew a bow to where I couldn't just fluff it back to shape, but I'm thinking baking or starching might help it be a little more chew-proof, lol.

The 5 layer kind seem to hold their own pretty well, but the regular stacked seem to want to fold forward a bit. With resins, they hold their shape a little better, but without, they just seem a little floppy to me.

I very rarely use hair spray (hate smells!), but I think I might have some anti-humidity kind around here somewhere. Do you think that would work to test on a bow? You don't have to really saturate it, do you? Hobby Lobby is quite the drive (an hour or more), so I won't be heading out that way until I need to restock clips.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5lyrfallpink2.jpg (38.8 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 5lyrpinkbrown2.jpg (50.1 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg stackedbday3.jpg (44.7 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg stackedbday2.jpg (49.3 KB, 21 views)
My Etsy
Sponsored Links