http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/7-8-50yd-grosgrain-animal-print-combo-103114.jpg
New product--1' circle punch/paper shaper for bottle cap picture
New products--Ribbon wrapped 50mm snap clips
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/120pc-2.5-korker-assorted-.JPG

turtle embellishments--ribbon sculpture

skull rockabilly grosgrain ribbon

braided headband base

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 01-04-2012, 09:39

Default Wood burning tool

After reading post here I have gotten a wood burning tool but have no clue how to use it. I would appreciate any information on how you use yours. I did cut a ribbon into laying it on a tile. I think it is going to be great to cut korkers. Will that edge be enough to prevent fraying without any more sealing?? TIA

www.MarcootBoutique.etsy.com
Sponsored Links

HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:58

Default Re: Wood burning tool

I have one and only use it for cutting/sealing my korkers. I think its great for that, but other than that I use my lighter. I just feel more in control when using my lighter. I know alot of people on here love their woodburner, I guess its just a personal preference.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:50

I know some people use the glass from a picture frame (put that blue painters tape around the edges to prevent cuts) and a metal ruler to cut ribbon with their wood burner. Or a metal pan (that's what I use). The glass is a great idea because you can place it over your measuring mat (what are those things called? ) and measure each cut.

I have a wood burner, and used it a lot at first, but have slowly migrated back to my trusty old lighter. It's just easier to me. I never did figure out a quick way to cut/seal korkers with the wood burner. I got aggravated with having to pull apart the curl and lay it flat to cut each piece.

Oh, and to answer your last question, yes, when you slice your ribbon using the wood burner, it does melt the ends enough to prevent fraying. HTH

Last edited by amber102083; 01-04-2012 at 10:51. Reason: misspelling
Old 01-04-2012, 03:12

Thanks!

I will probably cut korkers with it. I think the time stretching the ribbon and cutting would be less than trying to heat seal each end with a lighter. I also think it would be great to cut ribbon for puffy bows. I have some sewing to do and then I plan to play with it!!

Any more ideas???

www.MarcootBoutique.etsy.com
Old 01-04-2012, 09:39

I've never been able to use the my wood burning tool to pre-cut/seal my spikes. I always do it after. It has taken some practice and a steady hand but I use mine faithfully. I had the point attachment on it but I found it easier to use the round transfer attachment.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:37

Some where on this forum someone suggested buying a new cheap cookie sheet to use your woodburner on. I actually got a pizza pan with edges and use that. I feel safer with tin than with glass. I like the edges because it keeps things from rolling off. When I'm finished it makes a good tray to move everything out of the way.
Old 01-05-2012, 02:46

I bought a wood burner but after dropping my high heat glue gun on my arm, the wood burner scares me! It gets SOOO hot!
Old 01-05-2012, 11:31

i use the back of a pizza pan for a "cutting" surface & a metal ruler as a straight edge. i love the woodburner b/c it gives me clean edges but i am dangerous w/it...i melted holes in 2 tablecloths!!
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/jewelboxballerina-300.jpg