New products--peelnstick double-sided-tape for lining clips
http://www.thehairbowcompany.com/assets/images/affiliateBanners/affiliateBanner3.jpg
hip girl boutique 1" metallic gold gliter sparkle ribbon
hip girl boutique grosgrain ribbon wrapped headbands for girls women baby toddler
hip girl boutique goody ponytail pigtail holder for women girl toddler baby

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 12-29-2011, 11:26
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: MI
Posts: 93
Default cut outs for cheer bows

I would like to start adding paw prints, stars, lettering to my bows but can not figure how how other than cutting my own. Can anyone direct me to where I would find this info (tut, ect..) I have a big shot and have used a cuttlebug breast cancer ribbon die to add to my cheer bows but I have had no luck with a paw print, star, ect.... Paw Prints are what I am most interrested in adding since our local mascot is wolfpack...... any help in the right direction would be great!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/whimsydoodlegraphics.gif
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 12-29-2011, 11:35
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Fuquay varina, NC
Posts: 732
Default Re: cut outs for cheer bows

Id love to knowwhere to get a paw print or letters also
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 12-30-2011, 12:26
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 163
Default Re: cut outs for cheer bows

I create all of my own lettering, cutouts, shapes etc using a cutting machine as well. I usually make them out of heat transfer vinyl.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 12-30-2011, 02:03
DaisyDee's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: OR
Posts: 755
Default Re: cut outs for cheer bows

Have you thought about screen printing on them? When I was in college I worked in the costume shop in our theater department and did a lot of it. If you can print an image out in black and white from your computer, or photocopy it, you can screen print it. (Which is insanely helpful when you have to turn 30 satin bathrobes into kimonos!)

If you aren't familiar with how it works, the process uses a photo-emulsion chemical that gets painted on the screen in a dark room. The screen is layed flat, and the image -photocopied onto an overhead projector sheet of clear plastic- is placed on top. Then a light is turned on for a set time, and afterwards the screen is taken to a sink where the emulsion that was not exposed to the light gets washed off. What remains is your image. When it's dry, the screen is placed with the image centered over the desired printing area of your project, and ink is drawn over the image with a rubber squeegee. The emulsion prevents the ink from penetrating the rest of the screen, so only your image is transferred. When the screen is removed, the image is left to dry, and finally heat set. When the image is no longer needed, the emulsion can be removed so the screen can be re-used.

I haven't tried it yet, but the new gizmo out there is the Yudu, which is a screen printing set up you can get at any craft store. I think it runs around $90-$100 when it's on sale. From the videos I've seen it looks nice and simple to use.

If you have a silk-screen and want to do small, simple items such as a paw print, there is another option. You can cut your image from a piece of contact paper, stick it to the screen, and simply draw the ink over it instead of using emulsion. The downside is that your image will be only as neat as your stencil cutting abilities.

Another neat feature of screen printing is the ability to use metallic foil. Instead of ink, a base medium is used. Once dry, special sheets of foil are placed over the image and then ironed. When pulled away, the foil only sticks to the medium, producing a metallic image. This would be especially fun for cheer bows.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 12-30-2011, 06:18
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 10
Default Re: cut outs for cheer bows

Machine could be a better option for you. It gives a perfect look and design. So you should try.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 01-01-2012, 06:31
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: MI
Posts: 93
Default Re: cut outs for cheer bows

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodkins View Post
I create all of my own lettering, cutouts, shapes etc using a cutting machine as well. I usually make them out of heat transfer vinyl.

I guess my question is what cutting machine.... I have not found any paw print dies for the Sizzix so I am guessing it isa different machine everyone is using..... I want to make the ones like yellaribbon sells... with the cut outs...
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 01-01-2012, 06:45
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Fuquay varina, NC
Posts: 732
Default Re: cut outs for cheer bows

Wow dee i had never thought abiut screen printing onto ribbon! What a great idea to customize ribbon or bows!
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 01-01-2012, 07:41
DaisyDee's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: OR
Posts: 755
Default Re: cut outs for cheer bows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryngiles View Post
Wow dee i had never thought abiut screen printing onto ribbon! What a great idea to customize ribbon or bows!
Ah, the things I could teach you young grasshopper!
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 01-01-2012, 08:33
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: MI
Posts: 93
Default Re: cut outs for cheer bows

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyDee View Post
Have you thought about screen printing on them? When I was in college I worked in the costume shop in our theater department and did a lot of it. If you can print an image out in black and white from your computer, or photocopy it, you can screen print it. (Which is insanely helpful when you have to turn 30 satin bathrobes into kimonos!)

If you aren't familiar with how it works, the process uses a photo-emulsion chemical that gets painted on the screen in a dark room. The screen is layed flat, and the image -photocopied onto an overhead projector sheet of clear plastic- is placed on top. Then a light is turned on for a set time, and afterwards the screen is taken to a sink where the emulsion that was not exposed to the light gets washed off. What remains is your image. When it's dry, the screen is placed with the image centered over the desired printing area of your project, and ink is drawn over the image with a rubber squeegee. The emulsion prevents the ink from penetrating the rest of the screen, so only your image is transferred. When the screen is removed, the image is left to dry, and finally heat set. When the image is no longer needed, the emulsion can be removed so the screen can be re-used.

I haven't tried it yet, but the new gizmo out there is the Yudu, which is a screen printing set up you can get at any craft store. I think it runs around $90-$100 when it's on sale. From the videos I've seen it looks nice and simple to use.

If you have a silk-screen and want to do small, simple items such as a paw print, there is another option. You can cut your image from a piece of contact paper, stick it to the screen, and simply draw the ink over it instead of using emulsion. The downside is that your image will be only as neat as your stencil cutting abilities.

Another neat feature of screen printing is the ability to use metallic foil. Instead of ink, a base medium is used. Once dry, special sheets of foil are placed over the image and then ironed. When pulled away, the foil only sticks to the medium, producing a metallic image. This would be especially fun for cheer bows.
Thank you for the info... I have never considered that but for what I am thinking screen printing will not work..... thanks so much for sharing..
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


new products--pop dot diy pinwheel bows

http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/no-liner-bottle-cap-combo.jpg

http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/7-8-grosgrain-ribbon-soft-ball.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/7-8-dizzy-bees-ribbon-grosgrain-combo-.JPG
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/ladybug-applique-red-dot.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/half-wrapped%2050mm-snap-clips.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/flat-back-pearl-shpk.JPG

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:43.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0
Hip Girl Boutique Instructions - Copyright © 2007

Ad Management by RedTyger