ribbon and bows and free hairbow instructions

http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/peony-ad.gif
7-8 zebra and leopard grosgrain ribbon
New product--7/8' sister ribbon
Mini Pinwheel Bows

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 12-28-2011, 06:48

Default HELP! (Baking/Starching.... I am CLUELESS!)

The more I read on here, the more I notice that people bake/and or starch their bows. First of all,

*What does starching and baking do?

Next, what type of starch do I use?

Sorry ya'll, I'm a VERY slow person to catch on!!

<3 Kate
Sponsored Links

HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:46

Default Re: HELP! (Baking/Starching.... I am CLUELESS!)

Starching your bows helps them to keep their shape. Many people do it different ways. I use sta flo, they sell it at walmart, usually do a 50/50 mix with water. Spray my bows and bake in the oven. Depending on the ribbon will depend upon what temp. usually around 225 degrees for about 20 minutes. Bows should be dry when you take them out. Remember depending what type of ribbon you are using will change your temp. You will learn through experimenting
HTH
Kim
Old 01-01-2012, 12:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by samscrafts View Post
Starching your bows helps them to keep their shape. Many people do it different ways. I use sta flo, they sell it at walmart, usually do a 50/50 mix with water. Spray my bows and bake in the oven. Depending on the ribbon will depend upon what temp. usually around 225 degrees for about 20 minutes. Bows should be dry when you take them out. Remember depending what type of ribbon you are using will change your temp. You will learn through experimenting
HTH
Kim
Does the Sta Flo you use have a scent to it? I bought some bows from a lady on etsy that were starched and they smelled so good. It wasn't like perfume. I could tell it was whatever she sprayed on it, but I haven't found a starch that smelled like her bows.
Old 01-01-2012, 12:39

The starch that i use has a light scent. Alot of ladies on here like to use hairspray alsonandmit tends to smell a little more. As for the baking after starching i drench mine in starch then usually blow dry them. Just as quick for me as baking and i dont have to go in the kitchen or turn on the oven. If i am not in a hurry then i will sometimes just let them dry on their own.
Ive found since ive been starching that it makes the bows much more durable and is a must for the floppier ribbon.
Old 01-01-2012, 12:40

And as the pp said when i use sta flo or stiffen stuff then i dilute it 50-50 with water. So its half water and half starch. If you dont dilute it then it tends to clog the spray nozzle up.
Old 01-01-2012, 01:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryngiles View Post
And as the pp said when i use sta flo or stiffen stuff then i dilute it 50-50 with water. So its half water and half starch. If you dont dilute it then it tends to clog the spray nozzle up.

Ohhhh how I wish I would have found this thread sooner. As of right now, my twice used bottle of stiffen stuff is clogged. Now what am I going to do!?
Old 01-01-2012, 01:04

I starch mine, then I blow dry after I shape or nuke them in the microwave (was given that helpful tip). I use regular household starch, but was thinking about switching to Staflo.

Mom to Kali & Sia
http://kalihunefer.blogspot.com/ - Our Miracle
Old 01-01-2012, 01:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrn2oo6 View Post
Ohhhh how I wish I would have found this thread sooner. As of right now, my twice used bottle of stiffen stuff is clogged. Now what am I going to do!?
Have you tried wiping down with warm water? That should help. Or take the pumo out and place in a bowl of warm or hot water. It will break up any build up.

Mom to Kali & Sia
http://kalihunefer.blogspot.com/ - Our Miracle
Old 01-01-2012, 01:13

Get a new spray bottle ftom walmart and mix it half and half and you shoukd be just fine! Stiffen stuff is so expensive its better to mix it 50-50 but my staflo works just as well.
Old 01-01-2012, 01:17

I've heard some people on here say they use Potato starch. Does that work any better than the Staflo? Also, what kind of container does the Satflo come in? I'm guessing something other than a spray bottle?
Sponsored Links

Tags
baking, bow making, starching