150-forum-ads
hip girl boutique ballet dance gymnastic skating bun cover rhinestone hip girl boutique 40pc grosgrain ribbon wrapped 2 inch snap clips barrettes hip girl boutique grosgrain ribbon korker for hair bows clips
hip girl boutique 18pc grosgrain mini bow tie hair bow clips for baby infant toddler women adult
hip girl sparkle glitter headbands for dancing ballet stage cheerleading girls women high school college
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/3in-spike-bows-rainbow.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 12-28-2011, 04:15

Default spikes!!

I always have troubke lining my spikes up right and keeping them the way i want them when i go to crease them. I usually use my woodburner to tack them together. I did that this time then followed a suggestion on here where you glue the last two spikes straight up, it works so much better. But i saw several people who make notches in the side of spiked instead of creasing, do this work as well as creasing and how do you know how big to make the little v cuts? Tia
Sponsored Links

Old 12-28-2011, 04:54

Default Re: spikes!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryngiles View Post
...you glue the last two spikes straight up, it works so much better.
Do you have a pic? I can't seem to visualize this.
Old 12-28-2011, 05:14

Let me find the link to the post i used. Give me just a few secs. It really works so much better
Old 12-28-2011, 05:19

Here is the link to the post i was using, it really did work much better! Lmk what u think!

http://hipgirlclips.com/forums/hairb...59-spikes.html
Old 12-28-2011, 06:14

I usually cinch mine using wire and they are usually not equal on all sides so i cut them a little large and even them up after i place them when cutting my V.

I have heard of cutting a slit but wasn't sure about how it worked...do u cut the slit and then cinch or just cut the slit and leave them laying flat? someone mentioned just sewing a few stitches in the middle too so i wondered if u just cinched a little in the middle maybe they would be less cattywonka when u do it. haven't tried this yet...but I LOVE the link u posted.
Old 12-29-2011, 06:03

these links might help. not sure what your having problems with so posting the methods i like best.

http://hairbowswonderworld.blogspot....-boutique.html

http://hipgirlclips.com/forums/how-m...-tutorial.html
Old 12-29-2011, 06:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by maudie65 View Post

That's how I do mine, except that i stack them all up, fold in half, put a pin through the middle, then fan out around the needle. Once I have the spikes where I want them, I fold them in half and use a Sally's clip to hold in place. I take the needle out and sew 1/4-1/2 inch in from the fold and tie. Then open it back up and flatten in the center with the clip, bring the thread up through and tie, turn over and tie again.

Is there a way to cut and seal all in one step? I was debating on getting a wood burning tool, but I thought you could use it to cut the ribbon too. I use fray check right now.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allicat Boutique View Post
Is there a way to cut and seal all in one step? I was debating on getting a wood burning tool, but I thought you could use it to cut the ribbon too. I use fray check right now.
Yes, if you have a metal template. I saw a link for one made specifically for notching ribbon, but it was like $18. Ouch. I have found that using a flat L-bracket from the hardware store works well, and then at a yard sale I found a little metal knitting stitch gauge with a corner opening that I now use. If you don't have a wood burner, I highly recommend getting one. It really makes things so much easier by eliminating an entire step. I use it to cut all of my ribbon, and it is fantastic. If you make ribbon puffs with all those little pieces they are a necessity! I can also free-hand with it to make elements for ribbon sculptures.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyDee View Post
Yes, if you have a metal template. I saw a link for one made specifically for notching ribbon, but it was like $18. Ouch. I have found that using a flat L-bracket from the hardware store works well, and then at a yard sale I found a little metal knitting stitch gauge with a corner opening that I now use. If you don't have a wood burner, I highly recommend getting one. It really makes things so much easier by eliminating an entire step. I use it to cut all of my ribbon, and it is fantastic. If you make ribbon puffs with all those little pieces they are a necessity! I can also free-hand with it to make elements for ribbon sculptures.

That picture in the tut looks like she had to cut the ribbon then just touch the burner to the ribbon. So it will cut it too then if you use a metal bracket? I'm sure hubby has an extra one
Old 12-29-2011, 09:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allicat Boutique View Post
That picture in the tut looks like she had to cut the ribbon then just touch the burner to the ribbon. So it will cut it too then if you use a metal bracket? I'm sure hubby has an extra one

Yes the wood burner will cut and seal your ribbon all in one step. It's a lovely thing!!

If hubby doesn't have an extra Michales has a 50% off coupon this week and Hobby Lobby has a 40% off coupon. They run about $14 or $15. I believe Wal-mart has them for like $10.97 as well.

Mom to Kali & Sia
http://kalihunefer.blogspot.com/ - Our Miracle
Sponsored Links

HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.