New products--peelnstick double-sided-tape for lining clips
http://www.thehairbowcompany.com/assets/images/affiliateBanners/affiliateBanner3.jpg
hip girl boutique 1" metallic gold gliter sparkle ribbon
hip girl boutique grosgrain ribbon wrapped headbands for girls women baby toddler
hip girl boutique goody ponytail pigtail holder for women girl toddler baby

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 12-24-2011, 01:48

Default Modifying Holiday Ribbon Sculptures

I have had some limited success with a two leafed holly sculpture, a six pointed snowflake and a six petalled poinsetta and I was wondering if I could add some visual impact by using 5/8" ribbon and making them a little longer and a little wider.

I would simply experiment but, as most of you probably already know, they are extremely time consuming, even once you get the measurements worked out.

If anyone can tell me from personal experience if it's worth the effort, or at least offer an educated guess I would really appreciate it. Likewise if anyone can offer an opinion on whether it would look silly I'd like to hear that as well.

Oh, in case you are wondering, the reason I'm interested in trying this is because I think they would show better in any candid pictures we take tomorrow.

Thanks again,

Kel

Last edited by kelmac; 12-24-2011 at 01:57.
Sponsored Links

Old 12-25-2011, 12:17

Default Re: Modifying Holiday Ribbon Sculptures

snow flake should be 5 points. Not really sure what your question is but I add swarvoski crystals to my snowflakes. Really makes them shine!
Old 12-26-2011, 10:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by melody3333 View Post
snow flake should be 5 points. Not really sure what your question is but I add swarvoski crystals to my snowflakes. Really makes them shine!
Isn't the saying about snowflakes is that no two are the same? So does it really matter how many points it has?
Old 12-27-2011, 04:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizeancutie View Post
Isn't the saying about snowflakes is that no two are the same? So does it really matter how many points it has?
True, true!
Old 12-28-2011, 02:48

I'm pretty sure snowflakes are six pointed symmetrical ice crystals, almost by definition; and are almost always depicted that way.

And although it's impossible "to prove a negative" it is extremely unlikely that any two snowflakes would be completely identical. However, "matching" or substantially similar snowflakes have been found in similar environments.

Quote:
Wikipedia - Snowflake
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snowflake

Symmetry
A non-aggregated snowflake often exhibits six-fold "radial" symmetry. The initial symmetry can occur[7] because the crystalline structure of ice is six-fold. The six "arms" of the snowflake then grow independently, and each side of each arm grows independently. Most snowflakes are not completely symmetric. The micro-environment in which the snowflake grows changes dynamically as the snowflake falls through the cloud, and tiny changes in temperature and humidity affect the way in which water molecules attach to the snowflake. Since the micro-environment (and its changes) are very nearly identical around the snowflake, each arm can grow in nearly the same way. However, being in the same micro-environment does not guarantee that each arm grows the same; indeed, for some crystal forms it does not because the underlying crystal growth mechanism also affects how fast each surface region of a crystal grows.[8]

... ... ...

Uniqueness
... It is more likely that two snowflakes could become virtually identical if their environments were similar enough. Matching snow crystals were discovered in Wisconsin in 1988. The crystals were not flakes in the usual sense but rather hollow hexagonal prisms.[13]
Kel
Old 12-28-2011, 10:08

Well IMO you could start with the poisentia and without finish it you can get the idea of how it would look, remember that with many of our bows or sculptures there isnt a rule but it is what sells best in your area..go figure that my snowflakes measure 3in or less and people are always asking If I can make them smaller! Hope this helps if you go ahead please post pics
Old 12-28-2011, 11:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickiemontes View Post
Well IMO you could start with the poisentia and without finish it you can get the idea of how it would look ...
Thanks for the suggestion.

I ran out of time to try it with the Christmas sculptures.

Maybe I'll try it with a heart or four leaf clover for Valentines Day or St. Patrick's Day.

Kel
Old 01-01-2012, 11:26

Make sure you post pics of the hearts and 4 leaf clovers--they sound really cute.
Sponsored Links