ribbon and bows and free hairbow instructions

http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/peony-ad.gif
7-8 zebra and leopard grosgrain ribbon
New product--7/8' sister ribbon
Mini Pinwheel Bows

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 12-19-2011, 06:18

Default Stunning... but how?

I really really need help! I was inspired by one of our members tutu dresses and I decided that I would make my flower girl dresses for my wedding in March. I have been making normal tutus and the smaller crochet top dresses (babies and such) for about 2 years... but I CANNOT make it full enough without it looking bulky and gross!

This was the dress that I fell in love with. Now I dont expect trade secrets to be given away. I just want some help. http://www.etsy.com/transaction/61584338

I have tried 2 strips in each hole and 2 layers up the headband (folded in half) I have tried a single strip in two layers on each edge and then folding them in half to make 4 layers.... I just dont know how and I am getting really upset with it. I simply cannot afford to purchase the dresses as stunning as they are...

I am also willing to pay for a tutorial if anybody has one available.
Sponsored Links
300-700-forum-banners
wholesale rompers, dresses, bloomers, hat, headbands, leg warmers, flower layers, tulle, boutique clothing and other craft supplies
Old 12-19-2011, 06:43

Default Re: Stunning... but how?

The seller is a member here. I haven't seen her on the forum for a while now but her dresses are AMAZING. Good luck!
Old 12-19-2011, 11:21

It kind of looks to me like she used a really large crochet HB, like an 8" maybe, and tied her tulle to several rows of the the HB to get that full look. Since the top is also not as hole-y as a regular one, she also may have layered two together.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:24

Ah, yes, Jessica's work is amazing!!
Old 12-20-2011, 12:12

I know that when I make a no-sew tutu on 2" elastic, I put as much tulle on it as I can get - pushing it over until it won't push anymore. Then after I put it on my daughter or a dressform - I comb it down with my fingers upside down and the turn it back over right side up and viola!

So if you are trying to attach the tulle to an 8" crochet headband/tube top you wont get that same effect. There's not enough holes to mimic the amount of tulle tightly gathered on the elastic.

I suggest gathering your tulle on 1/2" elastic then whip stitching it to the crochet top with transparent or matching thread. Then put it on your dressform or child, add your embellishments, etc and see if you get the effect you are looking for.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:54

I don't have girls but that is an awesome looking tutu..I would be willing to pay for one that full..She did a great job on that one

EDee
Old 12-20-2011, 10:05

Yes, Jessica's tutu dresses are the best around. She's extremely talented!
Old 12-20-2011, 11:19

Another possibility is using two (or 3) tube tops. If you weren't getting enough fullness with just one then try threading your tulle strips through two of them (separately) and then placing one inside the other. Then you can zig or stretch stitch the tube top together at the top and also at the tulle line.

Just a thought.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:01

I've never done one of these but I think I would do 6 or 8 layers 6" wide per hole to get that fullness. Safety tip: make sure you use flame retardant tulle made in USA.:-)

Old 01-22-2012, 12:52

Nicole..

I make a sewn tutu that I think is easier to make fuller.. and to me they look more put together..

What size and color are you going to make. I have been wanting to write a tutorial and I would love to make a mock up and make it as full as I can to see how it looks.. I have a little pink and light pink one that is just a little halter dress tutu that is hanging in my house right now.. I made it for my grandaughter and she never wore it. I would say it is about a 4 and it is pretty full. I do think I could make it fuller. I would love to experiment and would not expect you to buy it but maybe we could get a look at how it comes our for my sewn tutorial that I keep saying that I am going to write.

tish
Sponsored Links