New products--alligator clips with teeth
Free bottle cap tutorial/instructions--sealing bottle caps
New products--3' star grosgrain ribbon
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/40yd-solid-grosgrain-ribbon-combo.jpg
New products--hip scottie III
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/24pc-inter-daisy-hb-cmb.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 12-15-2011, 06:43

Default Maternity props

I just recently had to make a maternity bow for one of my friend because she is taking maternity pictures this weekend. As i was googling Maternity picture props i came across these and they are really really beautiful and i figured they might be popular, Soo...Does anybody know how to make these? And some how be able to attatch it to the ribbon around the mommy's belly, maybe put velcro on the back or something?... I would really love to make these and see how they sell,

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=mater...:0&tx=46&ty=62

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=mater...2&tx=145&ty=61
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/whimsydoodlegraphics.gif
Old 12-15-2011, 09:53

Default Re: Maternity props

Those are beautiful. I think I saw a group buy on here for the heart, check the group buy area. I'd guess that you can just stitch them on and then cover the stitches on the back by gluing a circle made from some type of soft material.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizeancutie View Post
Those are beautiful. I think I saw a group buy on here for the heart, check the group buy area. I'd guess that you can just stitch them on and then cover the stitches on the back by gluing a circle made from some type of soft material.
I know where to buy them rosette flower heart things but i just with i knew how to attatch them and make the flower ones
Old 12-16-2011, 03:50

in the search area here, type in "maternity sashes" you should come up with several threads with pics, hg's that make them, etc
Old 12-16-2011, 09:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy_to_2 View Post
I just recently had to make a maternity bow for one of my friend because she is taking maternity pictures this weekend. As i was googling Maternity picture props i came across these and they are really really beautiful and i figured they might be popular, Soo...Does anybody know how to make these? And some how be able to attatch it to the ribbon around the mommy's belly, maybe put velcro on the back or something?... I would really love to make these and see how they sell,

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=mater...:0&tx=46&ty=62

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=mater...2&tx=145&ty=61

I hot glue the flowers to the ribbon. It holds great. Then I cut a piece of felt in the shape of the design so that you can't see it from the front. Then I glue or sew to the entire back of the ribbon (this would be against moms tummy) to hold it all together well. There are a lot of awesome flower tuts out there to use and the ribbon length depends on size of moms waist. I usually customize mine to size and leave enough for a nice size bow, just in case they want to flip it around and use just the bow for a prop. Also, these are great as newborn baby props (just lay it across naked newborn) or an up scale headband with long satin tails
Old 12-16-2011, 10:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbell5 View Post
I hot glue the flowers to the ribbon. It holds great. Then I cut a piece of felt in the shape of the design so that you can't see it from the front. Then I glue or sew to the entire back of the ribbon (this would be against moms tummy) to hold it all together well. There are a lot of awesome flower tuts out there to use and the ribbon length depends on size of moms waist. I usually customize mine to size and leave enough for a nice size bow, just in case they want to flip it around and use just the bow for a prop. Also, these are great as newborn baby props (just lay it across naked newborn) or an up scale headband with long satin tails
how does it stay on the mommys belly for pictures? you should make a tutorial, i'd be it depending on price!
Old 07-11-2012, 11:28

Hello,
I am a beginner photographer and have found that buying all props needed can get very expensive. I have 4 maternity sessions coming up and would like to learn how to make the maternity sashes. It looks very simple when you look at the pics. Is there anyone on here that knows where i can find a tutorial or something to show me how to properly do this?
Old 07-12-2012, 01:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbell5 View Post

Yes! This is spot on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy_to_2 View Post
how does it stay on the mommys belly for pictures? you should make a tutorial, i'd be it depending on price!

You just tie it around the back of the mom. It is not difficult at all.
Old 07-12-2012, 01:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by corimoyer View Post
Hello,
I am a beginner photographer and have found that buying all props needed can get very expensive. I have 4 maternity sessions coming up and would like to learn how to make the maternity sashes. It looks very simple when you look at the pics. Is there anyone on here that knows where i can find a tutorial or something to show me how to properly do this?
I might make a tutorial for my blog as these are not at all difficult, but we will see! Meanwhile, read Tinkerbell's post as that is about all there is to it.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:15

The way that I have always seen them made is with the ribbon sandwiched between a felt pad (belly side) and the design pad on the outside. The ribbon is just kept at a longer length to be adjustable to the size of the belly, and tied in a simple bow on the back. They are also very cute to reuse in the newborn photos. I wish I would have made one when I was pregnant with my last child. Now the "factory is closed" and I won't get the chance I saw a beautiful one on etsy with the best color combo, it actually inspired my daughter's colors for her first birthday theme (aqua and coral)