http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/rock-star-ribbon-offray-7-8-satin.jpg   http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/7-8-flower-grosgrain-ribbon.JPG Tested! Snap Clips Shipping Supplies Alligator Clips--Silver E-6000 http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/5-8-hello-kitty-satin-ribbon-orchid.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 12-15-2011, 03:49

Default There are gaps in my woven headbands...

I just learned to make the woven headbands and I'm on my third one. My problme is there seems to be too many gaps. I can't make it any tighter or looser to fix the problem. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Any hints would be great. Do you think it has to do with the kind of headband I'm using. I've got the pink teeth one from HH. I also have used the small 3/8 or 5/8 whatever size it is and it doesn't leave gaps but thats not the size I want to use.
Thanks for any help

Old 12-15-2011, 04:14
Administrator

Default Re: There are gaps in my woven headbands...

Try to use double sided tape to hold the ribbon in place when weaving.
Old 12-15-2011, 04:17

I don't know what kind of headband you mean, I've only ever done wovens on headbands that are smooth - no teeth. It takes practice even with those to get your angles right & your tension tight enough to keep it from opening up on you. I'm just guessing here, but maybe the teeth are making the ribbon shift on you?
Old 12-16-2011, 11:01

I agree with the others. I think the teeth would definitely pose a problem. I only use smooth ones or the ones with foam on top. I had the gap problem too in the beginning. Keeping it a tight is key but I have also figured out that if you slighty push the braid together every so often while braiding then you can somewhat eliminate the gaps. That's where the smooth headbands would come in most handy. But don't push them too close together or you'll end up with skinny diamonds. Also, you can slide the braid up on top to make all the diamonds equal. I have a tendency to pull more to the right.
I hope that helps. If not, pm me.
Old 12-16-2011, 11:45

I think the teeth are your main problem. I'm new to making woven HBs too, and didn't have the money to order the flat ones from a wholesaler, so I picked up some from then Dollar Tree. They come with a colored sleeve over them. You just cut that off, and presto, you have a blank flat headband!

Tension is very important. I use an alligator clip to keep the weave in place. Every inch or two I move it up so if my hands loosen, my work won't. If you have issues with it loosening on you frequently, you could also use two clips. Just like moving score pegs in the game Cribbage, you move the the back one to the front, so the one that was in front keeps your previous place.

If you are using a wider ribbon, I can see how gaps would be more visible. I only use 3/8" on mine, so if there are minor spaces, they don't show up as much.

HTH!
Old 12-16-2011, 12:48

I think the mail problem is the teeth. I only use the smooth ones from hairparts or ub. Double sided tape would definately work. Or you can just slide the weave, like scrunch it together more as you go, and apply alli clips to help hold it in place...if you don't want to use the double sided tape.
Old 12-16-2011, 01:04

Experiment to see what the real issue is--cover the underside with a piece of felt or tape to hide the teeth and see if the result is the same. I*f so, then you know it's not the teeth. Teeth are usually pretty small and in my opinion should not cause large gaps.

Push up and use clips to hold as was suggested. That helped me when I was first learning.

If those don't help, then it's the width of ribbon to headband size ratio. Vary the size of your headband and see if that helps.
Old 12-16-2011, 04:54

Thanks ladies I think I've got it. Not sure what I changed.
Old 12-16-2011, 05:11

I have made TONS and TONS of headbands, but have never tried them on the headbands with teeth. I doubt that was the problem though. I say its mostly practice. I have made so many that I could probably do them in my sleep my suggestion would be to keep one headband to practice on. weave it to the end and then see how it looks. watch your angels and edges for gaps too! Undo it and do it again until you get it down. I'm sure you will figure out soon!
Old 12-18-2011, 10:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger_mya View Post
I have made TONS and TONS of headbands, but have never tried them on the headbands with teeth. I doubt that was the problem though. I say its mostly practice. I have made so many that I could probably do them in my sleep my suggestion would be to keep one headband to practice on. weave it to the end and then see how it looks. watch your angels and edges for gaps too! Undo it and do it again until you get it down. I'm sure you will figure out soon!
Thanks
How long does it take you to make a headband? It is taking me 15 to 18 minutes each.

HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.