ribbon and bows and free hairbow instructions

http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/peony-ad.gif
7-8 zebra and leopard grosgrain ribbon
New product--7/8' sister ribbon
Mini Pinwheel Bows

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 11-23-2011, 02:53

Default What sells around here??

Hi everyone,

I have been selling bows by word of mouth to friends and family, friends of friends, etc. Pretty much everything I make sells. However I'm really inexperienced when it comes to doing shows (about to do my first) and I'm not really aware of what sells best and what doesn't.

I live in Memphis, TN...I've seen a few users on here from TN and from other areas in the south...what sells best for you?? I'm not looking for trade secrets just tips on what is most popular.

TIA
Sponsored Links
300-700-forum-banners
wholesale rompers, dresses, bloomers, hat, headbands, leg warmers, flower layers, tulle, boutique clothing and other craft supplies
Old 11-23-2011, 04:03

Default Re: What sells around here??

I live in TN about 2 hours outside of Knoxville. I find in my areas that korkers and twisted boutique bows sell the best. I love the OTT bows but the simple maybe 2 color bows sell the best here. I also find that flower clips sell good too. And since I got hilogirls AWESOME ribbon puff tutorial just about a week ago, I've sold several of them already too! Also try UT colors and colors of local schools for your color combos! Hope this helps you!
Old 11-23-2011, 08:14

Thanks so much! I really appreciate it.

From my limited experience, I agree with what you said. I tend to make the majority of my bows with a couple of layers but not truly OTT, and they sell well for $5. I also like to put korkers in the center of my bows, and those sell REALLY well. Cost is definitely an issue here!! I'm trying to keep my prices down but want to make this into a decent business
Old 11-23-2011, 09:25

Yes, korkers in the middle sell for me too and I just made my niece a tbb with a ribbon puff in middle and it is super cute! And yes it all boils down to cost. People aren't willing to pay $8-10 for a bow like they are in other areas. The economy is hard hit in my neck of the woods for sure. But I agree we can't just give our stuff away either Good luck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by casemarten View Post
Thanks so much! I really appreciate it.

From my limited experience, I agree with what you said. I tend to make the majority of my bows with a couple of layers but not truly OTT, and they sell well for $5. I also like to put korkers in the center of my bows, and those sell REALLY well. Cost is definitely an issue here!! I'm trying to keep my prices down but want to make this into a decent business
Old 11-23-2011, 09:33

I don't do a lot of shows, I mostly just Etsy but in my experience it depends on your traffic. I've done fundraiser shows for like middle schools and sold pretty much all headbands and flowers. I've done consignment sales and sold lots of plain bows and cute print bows. My little felt and ribbon clippies go like hot cakes at the preschool show I do. So, be sure to think about your market.

Old 11-23-2011, 09:40

Yes! This is a very good tip too!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnLMommy View Post
I don't do a lot of shows, I mostly just Etsy but in my experience it depends on your traffic. I've done fundraiser shows for like middle schools and sold pretty much all headbands and flowers. I've done consignment sales and sold lots of plain bows and cute print bows. My little felt and ribbon clippies go like hot cakes at the preschool show I do. So, be sure to think about your market.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:15

So I did my first show this past weekend. My inventory was VERY holiday heavy as it was a Christmas fair. I sold about half of my holiday inventory. The funny thing was of the big holiday bows, I sold ALL the biggest and most expensive ones. The low-priced holiday stuff did NOT sell. Otherwise, people only bought the cheapest items, solid and dot bows priced to move at $3. I also sold a lot of clippies.

There was one other hair bow vendor that had only very basic bows and then lots of fancy clips with feathers, flowers, etc. She even said my bows were a lot nicer than hers, but she sold a TON more because they were so cheap. She had nothing fancy at all and nothing over $5. (some of my big OTT and holiday bows went up to $8)

So my take is that people here will pay more for the holiday bows but not for general OTT bows I'm learning!
Old 12-01-2011, 09:49

Well congrats it sounds like you learned a lot. Sometimes even though you don't sell as much as you wanted to, you at least learned what to do next time. Thats crazy how the OTT holiday bows sold but none of the regular OTT bows. I have found in my particular area NO ott bows sell. Doesn't matter how cute or cheap they are. But it just goes to show that every area and every show is different.
Quote:
Originally Posted by casemarten View Post
So I did my first show this past weekend. My inventory was VERY holiday heavy as it was a Christmas fair. I sold about half of my holiday inventory. The funny thing was of the big holiday bows, I sold ALL the biggest and most expensive ones. The low-priced holiday stuff did NOT sell. Otherwise, people only bought the cheapest items, solid and dot bows priced to move at $3. I also sold a lot of clippies.

There was one other hair bow vendor that had only very basic bows and then lots of fancy clips with feathers, flowers, etc. She even said my bows were a lot nicer than hers, but she sold a TON more because they were so cheap. She had nothing fancy at all and nothing over $5. (some of my big OTT and holiday bows went up to $8)

So my take is that people here will pay more for the holiday bows but not for general OTT bows I'm learning!
Sponsored Links
300-700-forum-banners
wholesale rompers, dresses, bloomers, hat, headbands, leg warmers, flower layers, tulle, boutique clothing and other craft supplies