New product--flat back resin
Hipgirl 40 Yards 3/8" Grosgrain Fabric Ribbon Polka Dot Set For Gift Package Wrapping, Hair Bow Clips & Accessories Making, Crafting, Sewing, Wedding Decor, Boy Girl Baby Shower-20x2yd Swiss Polka Dot
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/banners/heatnbond-lt-ad.jpg
New product--frog grosgrain ribbon
New product--5/8' dippin' dots grosgrain ribbon
New product--pop dots

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 11-23-2011, 01:41

Default Re: Ruffling Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr82cre8 View Post
The secret is to let the heat, not the flame make the organza fabric pucker.

Hold the organza fabric edge about 6-8 inches over the flame (with tweezers to avoid burning your fingers), then slowly lower closer to the flame. You will notice the edge will start to pucker.

Tips:
- Singe your edges first. Makes it easier later on.
- Lift quickly after you get the right pucker because these can pucker too much very quickly.
- Work one section of the edge at a time instead of trying to do the whole piece in one pass.

Hope that works for you.
Ah ha!!! This makes sense, I noticed she doesn't have burnt edges either so she must not be getting too close to the flame. And the tweezer hint--priceless!
Sponsored Links
300-700-forum-banners
wholesale rompers, dresses, bloomers, hat, headbands, leg warmers, flower layers, tulle, boutique clothing and other craft supplies
Old 12-10-2011, 09:14

I agree with lowering the fabric to the flame slowly and carefully--I ruined a bunch of fabric while learning and trying to be "quick." LOL
Old 12-10-2011, 09:48

Are you sure those aren't wired edges? They almost look wired to me.

As far as heat, maybe try using a heat gun instead of a flame?
Old 12-10-2011, 10:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by prleaf View Post
if you look at this flower of her's . . . you can see the edge better w/out the pattern distracting . . .

http://www.etsy.com/listing/85169573...c-rose-vintage

and i read somewhere it depends on whether you apply the heat from the top or the bottom or sideways as this determines which way it will curl.
Just had to say that her leaves in this link are gorgeous!

Last edited by fancyschmancybyjeni; 07-16-2012 at 04:47.
Old 12-10-2011, 10:58

Things I noticed:

1. Yeah, it really looks like her edges were scalloped before she heated it.

2. Also, instead of just stacking her layers one on top of each other in the center, it looks like she has each one slightly off-center to vary the heights and make each one more like a single petal as opposed to an entire layer.

3. She used more than one kind of fabric. I see organza, and something shiny like an acetate. It helps ad more dimension.

From my experience, if you hold the fabric off to the side of the flame and bring it in, it will cause the singe to make an indented pucker. If you hold the circle directly over it, it will start to cup. I have used both flame and heat gun, and they both have their merits. The heat gun won't blacken the edges, but the open flame gives you more precise control.
Old 12-10-2011, 12:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestmommy574 View Post
... Also cutting a scalloped circle helps and organza ruffles way better than satin IMO.
That would have been my guess.

Kel
Old 12-10-2011, 01:00

We figured out that a lot of it has to do with the fabric we use--some definitely work better than others. With the right fabric (like organza), you get some puckering on the sides, and that really adds to the ruffliness.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.M View Post
Ah ha!!! This makes sense, I noticed she doesn't have burnt edges either so she must not be getting too close to the flame. And the tweezer hint--priceless!
Maybe she used a heat gun inside of a flame. When I use my heat gun I get a nice crinkly edge rather than a "crispy" edge.

Joanne
Old 12-14-2011, 08:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiara View Post
Are you sure those aren't wired edges? They almost look wired to me.

As far as heat, maybe try using a heat gun instead of a flame?
Never heard of a heat gun. Oh, the things that can be learned on here!
Old 12-14-2011, 09:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizeancutie View Post
Never heard of a heat gun. Oh, the things that can be learned on here!
They go back to the days when rubber stamping was all the rage. Originally when you put embossing powder on the image you just stamped, the only way to get the powder to melt was to put the back of your paper up against a hot clothes iron. Since people didn't like burning their fingers, the lovely craft industry came up with heat guns. (Not a new product, they have been around as long shrink wrap has.) There are two main types, the long skinny type that blows hot and somewhat forcefully (it looks very similar to the ones sold at your local hardware store for tightening the clear insulating plastic people put on their windows), and the one that looks like a travel hair dryer, which blows hot, but more gently.

I have the second type, and use it for singed edge flowers, and also puffs made with scalloped circles cut with my sizzix. If you use it lightly, it works well for sealing the edges of the fabric. I'm not sure which works better though, since I don't have one of the stronger ones to compare with.
Sponsored Links