New product--7/8' paw prints grosgrain ribbon
New product--2.25' star grosgrain ribbon
new products-3/8' snowmen grosgrain ribbon
New product--2.25' polka dot grosgrain ribbon
new products--7/8' cheetah skin print grosgrain ribbon
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/breast-cancer-bow-tie-hair-clip.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > Hairbow Gallery

Hairbow Gallery Hairbows, hair clips, headbands, bottlecaps... Share your picture here.

Old 08-12-2011, 11:50

Default New at this and needing reassurance

Hi! My name is Amy, and I am new at the bow making business. I have been a lurker here for a little while, and you guys have already been great help to me even though I have never posted before.

I am feeling a little unsure about whether I am really good enough to pull this off. I haven't gotten any negative feedback, but a couple of things have made me feel less confident about my work. I made one bow for a lady's daughter for a photo session and one for a club to use in a pageant. Neither one of the bows were used. They said that my bows were cute, but still didn't use them. I have sold quite a few items and got really positive feedback, but these two sales are making me feel negative about my business.

Here is a link to my facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Prissy-Primrose-Designs/216554498384885?sk=wall

Here is a link to my etsy shop that I have started there:

http://www.etsy.com/shop/PrissyPrimroseDesign?ref=pr_shop_more

Please be honest with me! I value your opinions so much, and I really want to be good at this! Thank you!!
Sponsored Links
300-700-forum-banners
wholesale rompers, dresses, bloomers, hat, headbands, leg warmers, flower layers, tulle, boutique clothing and other craft supplies
Old 08-13-2011, 12:28
Banned

Default Re: New at this and needing reassurance

erm...I see wood...that is not good..I should see bow..Look at your picture and you tell me what you see first...so my critique is the picture..not the product
Old 08-13-2011, 12:32
Banned

Big ass bows..and I know big..look shitty when not a professional picture...approach a photographer you like..they like free stuff..big bows are in my opinion a no no when shown in an unprofessional picture...those same bows could be bangin otherwise
Old 08-13-2011, 12:34

Your bows are not ugly but they do need a little work. I would not take it personally that those two customers that purchased your bows did not use them. Many times parents will purchase more than one hair accessory for an outfit just in case they change their mind on the look they want for the picture.

You have the concept of bowmaking down pretty good but not 100% quite there. A whole lot better than others who are starting out. I would probaby work on trying to get that neater look in your bows. Make sure they are perfect. Your spikes should fan out evenly. Your surrounds should fit around each loop evenly. You may need to to do more twisting and shifting your loops to get them to look a little more presentable.

Are you trying to get them to look like Twisted Boutiques (like the one in my avatar) or are you trying to make them look more like a regular boutique bow? I noticed that maybe some of your spikes need to be a little longer. The one with the kitten is adorable but it looks like the spikes are too short. You dont want them too long nor too short.

Since you are just starting out I would maybe put bows your kids or friends' children to give out free advertsing. The sales you get will be by word of mouth and during this time you are able to get your practice in. Once you get to where you feel comfortable with your work then put it out there on the internet. Honestly your bows are not horrible. They just need some slight tweaking.

If you need any help just PM me and I will try to help you out.

Last edited by ronnie; 08-13-2011 at 12:39.
Old 08-13-2011, 12:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaOlil View Post
erm...I see wood...that is not good..I should see bow..Look at your picture and you tell me what you see first...so my critique is the picture..not the product

I did not even think about looking at the quality of her pics.

Yeah...the easiest thing to do is get some white posterboard and take pics of your bows on it while you are outside.
Old 08-13-2011, 01:18

Because you got good feedback means that you do well so i wouldn't be offended. our bows are great for a newbie! ou really just need practice. It seems that a couple are lopsided and your pictures need to have different backgrounds. For example the picture with the personalized flower. The bab is gorgeous, but you would never guess the picture was advertisement for a bow.
Old 08-13-2011, 09:24

I think your bows look really good for a newbie

BUT they do need some work. You should practice your bows and get down a style that works for you. I say this because all your bows look different as far as ribbon lengths, some look like you tried the basic boutique and others look as though you were going for a twisted and messed it up.

Having each bow different as far as ribbons and centers is good, but I don't think it looks as good when they look to be all different sizes and styles. I do stacked bows like this and I have set sizes and ribbon lengths I use so they are all the exact same size no matter what ribbon I am using. Some I use rhinestones, some have marabou, some might have more or less spikes, but the STYLE still looks mine. I hope that makes sense

Picture quality is also something you need to work on.

And this is just my personal preference, but if you are going to use wire edge ribbon in your bows, slide the wire out before you make the bow.

Krista
Old 08-13-2011, 11:15

You have a good start! Practice...practice...

Yes, better pictures please! there are plenty of ways to get good pictures of your products... Use a piece of scrapbook paper as a background. Use natural light when you can....

If you look through the Picture Perfect section you can come up with a lot of ideas to try, and a lot of examples

All of my tutorials are now available through my etsy store.

Check out my Tutorial Album on Picasa.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:10

Thanks for all the great advice! I hadn't even thought about the quality of my pictures. Some of the bows that I made were special ordered, and I was in such a hurry to snap a picture and get it to the customer that I wasn't even thinking about how bad the picture was. My brother is really into photography and trying to get into it, so he is going to help me out with my pictures.

Now that I have looked and I know the difference between a twisted boutique and a regular boutique, I think what I have been trying to do is get the look of the twisted boutique using the regular boutique method. I am going to work on that! I am also working on my set measurements too and writing them down. I have been doing them differently for each bow. The kitten bow did have longer spikes, but the customer didn't like them "sticking out so much" so I cut them. They were the first bows I sold, so I have been a little unsure of my spikes ever since.

I am taking everybody's advice in! I will practice some more. It makes me feel good to know that my bows aren't horrid! I might be sharing some pics with you guys soon to see if you think I am improving. Thanks again!
Old 08-15-2011, 12:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammperry2 View Post
For example the picture with the personalized flower. The bab is gorgeous, but you would never guess the picture was advertisement for a bow.

Thank you! That is my daughter! I think she is pretty gorgeous too!
Sponsored Links