60% Off--Tulle
80% Off--Tulle

60% Off--Felt
80% Off--Felt
70% Off--Crochet Hats
70% Off--Crochet Hats
50% Off--Crochet Headbands
50% Off--Crochet Headbands

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Business Issues > Getting An Online Business Started

Getting An Online Business Started Web hosting? Shopping cart software? Web design? Upload inventory? Check out the answer here.

Old 01-04-2008, 05:10

So what would y'all do?

One thing I realized was a VERY bonehead thing to do. I let her buy the website (and I have to pay her). So...the website is in HER name!

I'll try calling her again.

I haven't technically paid her yet. She was supposed to be my partner and she backed out last weekend. That's when she said that it would be 500 for her to do the website. I'd spent a LOT of money, depending on her being a partner. I'd even switched weekends of the sale, because the previous date (that I'd booked and paid for, prior to meeting her), didn't fit in her schedule.

I just feel like I"ve gotten screwed on so many levels. It's like...do I pay her? Do I hurry up and hire another designer, buy another domain, and change my ads (which start MONDAY!!!)? I'm almost feeling like I have to find an atty. I am scared she'll sue me for not paying. But, I didn't get what I wanted AND need for this business. I have ads starting that depend on her...and it's not going to happen on time.

Ideas?
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2008, 05:27

Oh cra*!

If she worked on it all last weekend, and is really a webdesigner, she would of been able to do all the text in html and at least have the links work. She had to type anyway!

What a nightmare for you! Was this a verbal agreement? (Thinking back on episodes of Judge Judy)

ISO: manners
Old 01-04-2008, 06:19

This was a verbal agreement. I might have some emails that indicate some sense of understandings between us. I bet I need to find all those emails.

We'd been talking about the website since November. She just didn't do anything until recently. Part of it was because she wanted the text from me. I thought she could create the website and then we'd fill it in. Now I know why she had to have the text first- she was creating images of it, rather than doing a true webpage.

So.... I guess I hope my lesson is useful to someone else. This may be a very expensive lesson on my part.
Old 01-04-2008, 06:31

You know what...if she agreed to be your partner and that was her part of it...then didn't she break the agreement??? I personally don't think she has a leg to stand on. I bet you we could get a page up with your basic info (no frills) before Monday!! (I've dabbled) You can register a new domain for less than $10. You can email me at [email protected]!!
Carter 5
Abby 3

www.mybellaboutique.com

www.mybellaboutique.etsy.com

Old 01-04-2008, 08:46

Yeah, I agree about the images for text. The only time I've seen that is when people don't want their wording taken. but it makes it un-searchable! I'm not a web designer, but I've taken HTML classes and *I* could have done a better job than that! And it certiantly wouldn't be $500. That's a lot!

BTW - I live in Hewitt, right next to Waco. There really are a few of us here! WE should get together! Is your consignment sale kids I'm guessing? I migth want to sell, too. I only worry there isn't much of a market for name brands which is what I have. Seeing as I can't find it in the consignment stores. Anyone know? I'm new to the area.
Old 01-05-2008, 09:54

Jenica- There might be a market for your kid's clothing here. I know quite a few moms that dress their children in *very* nice clothing. Even I currently have a few Zackali outfits in my daughter's closet! CHeck out my website and see if it's something that appeals to you.

Miranda and Jenny- Thank you so much for your help. I am hoping, hoping, hoping that this designer will fix the issue. This is why it's SO HARD to try to do something business-oriented with a friend. I'm afraid it's going to kill our friendship AND I don't really get what I want/need. You know? So...I'm going to wait a bit and see if she gets it resolved. I want to give her the chance.

And, and my computer programmer husband had the same HUH look to it too. He's the one that first told me there was NOTHING on the page except a pic. and a few lines html.
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/jewelboxballerina-300.jpg