Hipgirl 40 Yards 3/8" Grosgrain Fabric Ribbon Set For Gift Package Wrapping, Hair Bow Clips & Accessories Making, Crafting, Sewing, Wedding Decor, Boy Girl Baby Shower-(20x2yd Solid Boutique Ribbons)
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/5-8-satin-autism-pinwheel-bow.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/glitter-ribbon-250.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/kanzashi-flower-butterfly-forum-ads.JPG
New product--1.8mm bottle cap hole punch

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Business Issues > Getting An Online Business Started

Getting An Online Business Started Web hosting? Shopping cart software? Web design? Upload inventory? Check out the answer here.

Old 05-15-2009, 03:14

Default Re: Are you making a profit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyeeshawebb View Post
These people who spend 1000's of dollars on supplies and decorating a room,are in my opinion just crazy. I would love to have the nicest storage area, and all the finest, but reality is, it is a hobby. I need to start my website, I am sure I could make more.
These people who spend 1000's of dollars on supplies and decorating rooms are in my opinion true business women. It's nice that this is a hobby for you but for others its a business.

For anyone one, especially a female that can open and maintain a business for over a year and make actual profits to be able to afford a nice craft room has to be a dedicated hard worker. And if thats what your definition of crazy is then I want to be crazy too

Old 05-15-2009, 09:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whit21 View Post
These people who spend 1000's of dollars on supplies and decorating rooms are in my opinion true business women. It's nice that this is a hobby for you but for others its a business.

For anyone one, especially a female that can open and maintain a business for over a year and make actual profits to be able to afford a nice craft room has to be a dedicated hard worker. And if thats what your definition of crazy is then I want to be crazy too
I have a supply addiction-I admit it, but I spend that much cause I can. I've worked hard and if I want to spend that much on supplies, I'm like you-call me crazy but I'll do it I just bought 2 huge L shape desks a few months ago and since we just bought a new house, I want something that looks more organized because I have no storage on the desks, so tomorrow I'm going to Ikea to buy myself a new office! I can't wait! I spend so much of my time in that room that I'm tired of it looking so cluttered because there is no desk storage where I can hide things!
Old 05-18-2009, 08:13
creativesidebows

this is truly a business for me and yes, I make a profit. it's not crazy at all to be one of "those" women who don't do this just for a hobby. this august will be 4 years since i started. i've worked my tail off for what i have and what i've turned my business into and i'm very proud of it. you MUST watch your expenses and control yourself. you don't need every new item on the market and you don't need to offer every color of the rainbow for ribbon choices. it's very possible to spend thousands of dollars but it's very possible to make stellar profits in this business too. i wish anyone luck who does this, it isn't easy.
Old 05-18-2009, 04:43

i think that in this business, which i am really only a fledgling in, it does take thousand of dollars (or in my case euro) to be in with a chance of making a decent profit. The women that have rooms of ribbon and supplies are dedicated business women and i take my hat off to them. I can only dream of having a room as full of colour. I'm slowly getting there but i really hope that some day i will be one of those "crazy" girls

Maeve
Old 05-18-2009, 07:58

Me too, Maeve,
I cringe sometimes when I look at my supplies - I love every single piece in there and I am in a place where its hard enough to get kids to put on shoes to go out, let alone put a bow in there hair! I am surviving because we have a lot of international tourists or ex-pats, and major hotels like the Hilton put my stuff in their lobby shops. At a market on Sunday, I only made $150 which is great for here, but met an English lady who bought 10 bows and wants me to send stock to her boutique in central London. She says English people love bows and the only place to get a decent one is in Harrods and they charge up to 20 pounds per bow, so she was really excited. And met heaps of horsey girls who want their browbands woven.
So, I dont make much, but the more I go to markets, the more people I meet who want to order them for their shops, so I figure, if it keeps going the rate its going, I will make a good earn (but it's going out of this country to do so!) And who know whether the size of the orders will grow. I'm just happy that it helps cover my ribbon addiction!
Karen
Old 05-18-2009, 09:48

I think I could be making a profit, but I roll it all into supplies.

I started this as a hobby, something to pay for itself, so to speak. I make things for my girls, and their friends, and my friends, and etc. I only just started selling *for real* last October. So. Seven months. Not long at all. I'm developing a following here in my area. I playing around with new types of bows, figuring out what I really like to make, and what sells.

I'm giving myself a good two years before I start fretting about all of the money I've spent!!

I SOOOO want a dedicated craft room! If I had the space, I would be maxing out my credit cards to set it up. Unfortunately, I share my space with the kids' game room. So, this helps keep my head out of the clouds as far as spending money.

:0)
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/large/portrait-editing-ads-700.jpg