Hip Girl Boutique Free Tutorials ----------------------- Hip Girl Boutique Free Tutorials ----------------------- Hip Girl Boutique Free Tutorials
How To Make A Full Mini Korker Hair Bow How To Make A Double Ruffle Ribbon 'Korker' Hair Bow Korkers Korkers--Testing Different Sizes How To Make Surrounding Loops The Easy Way How To Make 2-Layer Interchangeable Hair Bows With Spike--Part I Double Ruffle Ribbon Scrap Hair Flowers II--Free How To Bottle Caps--Q & A Free Instructions--How To Edit Bottle Cap Images How to Make Watermelon Hair Bow Clips Picture Perfect Tutorial

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Business Issues > Getting An Online Business Started

Getting An Online Business Started Web hosting? Shopping cart software? Web design? Upload inventory? Check out the answer here.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:50

Default Re: Are you making a profit?

I make enough to make our mortgage payment each month, however, I have a horrible addiction to buying supplies so I am really trying hard to cut back on that...just hasn't worked yet I spend more on supplies each month than what I make in the end so it's a bit out of control! We are moving at the end of next month so my goal is to do a major destash and then try to really watch it.
Sponsored Links

Old 04-22-2009, 09:58

I think most folks don't really make a profit. It seems like you are until you really count every single penny that goes into it.

Me- I turn a profit, but I am definately still paying for start-up expenses. I have a real store though.
Old 04-24-2009, 09:40

I am making a profit, I've been doing it for less than a year and haven't opened a website yet. I'm paying for 2 vacations this year for me and hubby, one to Mexico with it and after the summer I'll be paying for a car payment with what I make monthly, so only about $350 a month but I do it for the love of it not for income.
I sell on myspace and have my items in 3 different brick and mortar stores and will be in 2 more in June so that's a lot of my sales right there. I'll be starting doing shows in the fall and that will help as well. I just love doing this and if money is made then great, if not, that's ok too, as it's a relaxing hobby for me.
Old 04-24-2009, 09:56

i'm pretty sure i would be making a heck of a lot more money if i would just stop turning around and using that money to purchase more stuff -- and i have plenty already and do not need more, but it's the addiction....sighhh
Old 04-24-2009, 11:01

I'm just starting out so NO!!! LOL. It's kind of making me worried.
Old 04-24-2009, 03:03

Sometimes I think I should narrow down and focus on one or two things... but then I always have requests for more items or can you do this or that?? I absolutely love, love, love what I do and though at times (AS WITH ANY BUSINESS) you have to put a lot of time and most profits back into the business to get it going... if you love what you are doing it is worth it. I think some things to consider about being "profitable" is how long have you been doing it and what are your prices?
Old 04-24-2009, 11:44

For the first year i would say i put it all back in my business i would by more supplies and buy more and more untill i had a nice selection and now i have opened a website and am making a pretty good profit from it so you can do it it just takes some time!
Old 05-14-2009, 12:47

Yes, but I didn't make much at all for well over a year. It was mainly rolled back into additional supplies, or more recently a professional website. When I consider the price of my items, I also figure in the amount of time each day I spend answering emails, ordering supplies, printing shipping labels, oh..and making the bows. Making the bows is only part of it. Sure, a bow may cost only pennies to make, but I cringe when I see bows offered for $2. Time is worth more than that, at least IMHO. My prices tend to be on the higher end, but it is not worth it to me to sell a bow for $2, or even $3.

Princess-sticky-pants, I am glad I am not the only one with a supply addiction.

Old 05-14-2009, 05:07

when I first started out with my website I made a lot of money, probably like $100 a week...which I only had tutus so I think thats pretty good! haha than a lot of my friens on myspace started making and selling stuff too, so I lost some customers that way. There are also sooooo many people on myspace,etsy,ebay that have boutique hairbows and tutus etc so its hard to get your name out there. I recently spent a lot of money to get ready for crafs shows and they were both duds. So that kind of discouraged me, I ended up being able to sell all of my stuff on here, as destash, but not for any profit. I think it is better to make things here and there but make the majority of your stuff for craft shows around christmas time...thats the best seller. As of now I have sold all of my supplies and of course people are wanting me to make stuff for them now!! lol Its more expensive in the long run to have to buy things per order, but in the short run you do make a profit. I cant build up my stock until we move! I've been pleased though with my success, I enjoy making stuff and I find myself buying things all of the time just to make something and not even thinking about if it'll sell or not! lol
Old 05-14-2009, 11:47

I would love to order a 100 yd roll of every size of ribbon in every grosgrain and print color at RABOM!!! Then buy all my embellishments, and about 1000 clips. It seems like everytime I turn around, I am having to go back and buy something else. It is crazy. But, I have actually figured it all up, I actually make a 2/3 profit on my bows. But I am very cautious about what I buy. If my area had any craft fairs,I could make a killing. But I love my craft,and I am happy doing it. These people who spend 1000's of dollars on supplies and decorating a room,are in my opinion just crazy. I would love to have the nicest storage area, and all the finest, but reality is, it is a hobby. I need to start my website, I am sure I could make more.