Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Business Issues > Getting An Online Business Started

Getting An Online Business Started Web hosting? Shopping cart software? Web design? Upload inventory? Check out the answer here.

Old 04-14-2012, 06:12

Default how much to sell bows for???

i make bows for my little girls and now i want to start selling them but i dont know how much to charge.i look online and everybody sell theirs for 5 and up i dont want to do that high. any ideas of how much?
thanks
Sponsored Links
http://hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/Ad for Hipgirls RevA.
Old 04-14-2012, 07:14

Default Re: how much to sell bows for???

Well all bows are different pricing depending on style and it obviously varies from seller to seller. $5 for a bow is extremely reasonable in my book. I don't sell a whole lot of bows I make for my dd and niece but when I do sell occasionally my tbb are $5 pinwheels are $4 and my stacked bows start at $10. But honestly don't undercut yourself. PAY YOURSELF FOR YOUR TIME AND EXPERIENCE!
Old 04-14-2012, 08:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.BowlingtheBowMaker View Post
Well all bows are different pricing depending on style and it obviously varies from seller to seller. $5 for a bow is extremely reasonable in my book. I don't sell a whole lot of bows I make for my dd and niece but when I do sell occasionally my tbb are $5 pinwheels are $4 and my stacked bows start at $10. But honestly don't undercut yourself. PAY YOURSELF FOR YOUR TIME AND EXPERIENCE!
Amen! I feel like so many are underselling their bows which makes it so difficult for the rest of us to sell them at a more profitable and reasonable price! I actually want to make some money from selling my bows! Ok...off my soap box now, haha!
Old 04-14-2012, 08:33

Agreed so much! Some people must enjoy working for free and not compensating themselves for there time away from their family/kids or all the research and time that comes with finding ribbon and supplies not to mention all the thought going into color combos, templates, etc! So its hard for us that do really take all that into consideration. Like I said I don't do this as a business yet however, I don't want to squash everyone who does do it as a buisness so I stay in the same price point right along with them so I'm not dragging anyone down!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCMays View Post
Amen! I feel like so many are underselling their bows which makes it so difficult for the rest of us to sell them at a more profitable and reasonable price! I actually want to make some money from selling my bows! Ok...off my soap box now, haha!
Old 04-14-2012, 10:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCMays View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.BowlingtheBowMaker View Post
Agreed so much! Some people must enjoy working for free and not compensating themselves for there time away from their family/kids or all the research and time that comes with finding ribbon and supplies not to mention all the thought going into color combos, templates, etc! So its hard for us that do really take all that into consideration. Like I said I don't do this as a business yet however, I don't want to squash everyone who does do it as a buisness so I stay in the same price point right along with them so I'm not dragging anyone down!
I went to my first craftfestival today and I was SO disappointed. I drove 1.5 hours to get there to only sell one d@mn hair bow...it was a $5 medium pinwheel. I am so particular about my hair accessories. I will take apart a bow and refold it until it looks almost perfect. There were other vendors there that had to be selling their bows cheaper than mine because whenever a spectator approached my booth they would love on the hair bows but then put them down when they noticed the price. I'm starting to get the feeling that "handmade" means cheap and inexpensive to some people. It's annoying!
Old 04-15-2012, 09:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.jward09 View Post
i look online and everybody sell theirs for 5 and up i dont want to do that high.
Why not?
Old 04-15-2012, 03:23

Its really depend on what type of bow do you make?? For me, 5 bucks is reasonable. Www.cutiez2supplies.etsy.com
Old 04-15-2012, 10:18

Typically the formula for pricing is add up the the total cost of your bow. How much in ribbon, clip, and whatever else you use. Then figure out how much you are paying yourself and how long it takes you to make a bow. Want to make $10 an hour and it takes you 15 minutes to make each bow, then you need to add $2.50 to the price.

Take your materials cost and multiply it by 3. Add in your labor and there you go, you have a good starting point for what your bows should sell for. This ensures your profit on not only the bow itself, but that you are also paying yourself for your time.

You are going to get burned out really fast if you aren't taking care of yourself!
Old 04-15-2012, 10:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.jward09 View Post
i make bows for my little girls and now i want to start selling them but i dont know how much to charge.i look online and everybody sell theirs for 5 and up i dont want to do that high. any ideas of how much?
thanks
$5 is very reasonable for a handmade bow! Don't undercut yourself! Also you don't want to undercut the other bow makers. You will lose their respect that way. Competition is fine, but undercutting gets ugly.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof5 View Post
$5 is very reasonable for a handmade bow! Don't undercut yourself! Also you don't want to undercut the other bow makers. You will lose their respect that way. Competition is fine, but undercutting gets ugly.
Exactly.
I've done ok on Etsy with almost 2000 sales....but things have really slowed down lately for me. I started searching around and no wonder with all the $1 bow sellers on there . What's the point? To brag you have 10,000 sales that you only made cents on??? I'm running a business to make money. Not spend time away from my family to loose money ugh.
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/fleuristesupplies-300.jpg