http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/lined-alligator-clips-with-teeth.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/7-8-rainbow-chevron-ribbon.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/1-25-satin-DIY-mini-bow-combo-1.jpg
new product--crochet hat

1.5' 7/8' Zebra New Colors

New products--peony new colors

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Business Issues > General Business Issues

Old 04-17-2011, 08:22

Default What do you think?

Ok, I just typed this all out and lost it. AHH!

I just want to get an outsiders perspective on this situation.

Several months back I began working with a photographer that lives a few hours from my home. I would ship items for her to keep, she would do pictures, and send me a disk. Before this I did all my photography.

We decide to do an event together. It was a girly girl photo sessions event, where I provided the props, and she did the pictures. I also brought up extra items to sell while I was there. She said this will be a great way for me to get images of my items, and said she did not mind if I brought my camera too. (I asked about it before going up there). When the event was over, I had the images I took, and the sales I made there. Not to mention I left some items with her mom, some she bought, and two baby blankets she was going to sell for me. Even though it was implied I would get the images she took, she wanted to charge me for them afterwards. This is after I drove 2 plus hours to her location with tons of tutus, bows, clips, ect... it attracted a ton of customers for her. I should have got things in writing I know. Not to mention the whole time I was there she kept saying how she felt we were friends, and would remain friends yada yada.

After the fact it became an issue that I took pictures, she told me I could not do it again, and people said, "the bow lady took better pictures". Whatever, I asked first, and she said it was ok.

So prior to this event I had another event lined up for a month later doing a "Posh Portrait Party". When she noticed my event on facebook, she immediately become angry, and made comments on facebook about how she was being taken advantage of, ect...

I contacted her immediately. I let her know that I was not trying to take advantage, and that I have always had an interest in photography. She was the one who contacted me about working together. I was not even seeking out a photographer. We cleared the air, and let it go.

Well I posted some images this weekend that I did, and watermarked them as, Cheryl Logan Photography. Apparently this bothered her. She made a comment on a picture I shared with someone on facebook, saying she just ordered a prop just like mine. I was like ok. cool. I doubt it considering it is an antique that I took apart and remade, but I did not say a word to that effect.

Then she goes and makes more comments on facebook, about the "nerve of people, and how she needs to pick people out better...ect.

At this point I am viewing her behavior as childish and really just don't care about walking on pins and needles. I am not going to apologize for using a camera I paid a few thousand for before I ever met her.

I normally don't buy into "facebook drama", but I did put this as my status this morning: "If you have talent use it. If this bothers someone they were not your friend to begin with." She blocked me after that.

She still has a petal hat I let her use, and two blankets my mom left at her moms shop.

Do I just leave this alone, and move on as a lesson learned, or contact for my items back. Am I off my rocker for not understanding this?

Last edited by C-Logan; 04-17-2011 at 08:26. Reason: typos
Sponsored Links
disney princess, mickey mouse, minnie mouse ribbon http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/large/5-8-hello-kitty-satin-ribbon.jpg
Old 04-17-2011, 09:01

Default Re: What do you think?

I'd contact her for the return of your items, but not mention the "drama" part of it.

To be honest, I can understand how she feels...but her actions are childish and uncalled-for.

Imagine if the photographer brought some bows she made to an event you guys did together, and imagine people were liking her stuff more than yours. Then imagine if you saw on Facebook that she was starting up a bow business.

I think it would sting a little bit, both to your ego and your bottom line. I know you were a few hours apart, but it seems like maybe she was counting on you to help her bring in new business. Your starting to do photography for yourself means she'd lose the items you were sending her, lose the referrals or the added business from events, and possibly have competition from you, even though you aren't local.

BUT, just because I can see where she might be coming from or how she might feel, I would not have reacted as she did.

Business is business - these things happen in business all of the time. Competition pops up, someone is better than you, business deals evolve, etc.

And friendship is friendship - yeah, it is not easy to have a friend attempt to do what you do...and possibly be better at it, even without experience. But friends support each other, even when it's a tough pill to swallow. She should have enough confidence in her own work, her own business, to be supportive of you without feeling threatened.

I'm sorry you're dealing with this, I don't think you did anything wrong.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielleK View Post
I'd contact her for the return of your items, but not mention the "drama" part of it.

To be honest, I can understand how she feels...but her actions are childish and uncalled-for.

Imagine if the photographer brought some bows she made to an event you guys did together, and imagine people were liking her stuff more than yours. Then imagine if you saw on Facebook that she was starting up a bow business.

I think it would sting a little bit, both to your ego and your bottom line. I know you were a few hours apart, but it seems like maybe she was counting on you to help her bring in new business. Your starting to do photography for yourself means she'd lose the items you were sending her, lose the referrals or the added business from events, and possibly have competition from you, even though you aren't local.

BUT, just because I can see where she might be coming from or how she might feel, I would not have reacted as she did.

Business is business - these things happen in business all of the time. Competition pops up, someone is better than you, business deals evolve, etc.

And friendship is friendship - yeah, it is not easy to have a friend attempt to do what you do...and possibly be better at it, even without experience. But friends support each other, even when it's a tough pill to swallow. She should have enough confidence in her own work, her own business, to be supportive of you without feeling threatened.

I'm sorry you're dealing with this, I don't think you did anything wrong.
Exactly my thoughts, couldn't have said it better myself.

Sorry you're having to deal with this. I hope that you're able to come up with a resolution that works for you both.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:50

Thanks ladies. I agree with what you said. I just feel I was very clear. I hate that this has happened. When I was there she even asked me if I would help her shoot a wedding.

Last edited by C-Logan; 04-18-2011 at 12:14.
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/MMexclusivewholesaleribbon-300.jpg