http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/7-8-50yd-grosgrain-animal-print-combo-103114.jpg
New product--1' circle punch/paper shaper for bottle cap picture
New products--Ribbon wrapped 50mm snap clips
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/120pc-2.5-korker-assorted-.JPG

turtle embellishments--ribbon sculpture

skull rockabilly grosgrain ribbon

braided headband base

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Business Issues > General Business Issues

Old 02-23-2011, 10:08

Default How do you balance work and family?

My Etsy shop has suddenly taken off since last September. Not sure how or why but it has. And I was thrilled because it made me feel good about myself and I liked the extra money. Honestly, I don't need the money. My husband makes pretty good money and it started out as a hobby but now it is work. I shouldn't complain because it's what I wanted or thought I wanted. But I have 3 kids, 6, 3 and 18 mos and that is more than a full time job in and of itself. So now I am finding that I am neglecting them and the house just to get orders out. My 6 year old is in Kindergarten and so smart. I feel guilty that I am not spending more time with him and the 3 year old to help them be better. I guess I already know the answer here but just wanted to put it out there and see if anyone else could relate. Feeling like a bad parent today.
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/large/portrait-editing-ads-700.jpg
Old 02-23-2011, 10:11

Default Re: How do you balance work and family?

I am right there with you! I have a 6yo boy 3yo boy and 22mo old twin girls. So we are right about the same with kids! My 6yo stays home though, I homeschool him and my 3yo (just starting with the 3yo).
I think about hiring someone to come clean my house at least twice a day. I'm constantly working on orders while the kids play, and I work at night after the girls go down. I have a lot less patience with them becasue I am stressed about getting orders out the door. And I do feel bad I don't spend as much time with them as I used to.

On the other hand I am kicking serious retail butt. LOL That makes me feel really great that I am doing well and accomplishing what I wanted.

So I don't really have any advise - but you are not alone - there are other WAHMs that feel the same way you do!
Old 02-23-2011, 10:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2-4 View Post
I am right there with you! I have a 6yo boy 3yo boy and 22mo old twin girls. So we are right about the same with kids! My 6yo stays home though, I homeschool him and my 3yo (just starting with the 3yo).
I think about hiring someone to come clean my house at least twice a day. I'm constantly working on orders while the kids play, and I work at night after the girls go down. I have a lot less patience with them becasue I am stressed about getting orders out the door. And I do feel bad I don't spend as much time with them as I used to.

On the other hand I am kicking serious retail butt. LOL That makes me feel really great that I am doing well and accomplishing what I wanted.

So I don't really have any advise - but you are not alone - there are other WAHMs that feel the same way you do!
Thanks. I've seen your shop and your work and wow, do you get any sleep?? Seriously, you have twins and homeschool? I am in awe. I wish there were more hours in the day to get more done. I try to get stuff done at night but some nights I'm so tired, I just go to bed. I hate having all my free time going to fill orders. I used to love watching TV at night and having "me" time but now I barely have any free time. I do love feeling like I am accomplishing something too but in 5 or 10 years will all that matter and will I regret not doing more to help my kids to be better? Just pondering.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:21

There was a good thread "What am I doing" recently discussing similar feelings. We all have them, at some point.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braids'nBows View Post
There was a good thread "What am I doing" recently discussing similar feelings. We all have them, at some point.
Was the thread on this forum under Business Issues? I tried to do a search but those words are too common so nothing came up. *sigh* I know we all struggle with those feelings b/c most of us as WAHM's. We have families and kids and I know many of the WAHM's really do need the money. I guess that's why I struggle with it. I don't really need the money. That makes me feel all the more guilty about it.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:56

I was in tears over this with my husband last night. I am really having a hard time finding a good balance with my husband rarely home to help with any responsibilities or give the kids much attention. My biggest fear is looking back in a few years with regret - I love being successful and running a business, but feel somedays my littles are the ones paying the highest price. I will probably be raising my prices again to try to slow my business down a bit and have more time for myself and my family.

Here is my thread, you are not alone!
http://hipgirlclips.com/forums/off-t...m-i-doing.html
Old 02-24-2011, 11:17
ksterling628

Right now, i'm in a pickle over this very thing. At the end of last year things very quickly became very difficult in my life and then world came crashing down when my father passed away unexpectedly at 50. I put the bows down and walked away. My family life was nothing but stress, we were so busy I couldn't see straight and I was a hot mess personally.

But ultimately after going back and forth about it I decided to give it another shot. I do enjoy it but I was making it work instead of pleasure. I have 3 kids but only one is with me during the day so I figured I would have time to work on things but unfortunately that isn't the case. She is in that stage where she is in to everything. I turn my back and she is drawing on herself, my carpet and my door with permanent marker; that sort of thing.

So what I did was set a schedule of when I am "allowed" to work on my projects. I check email etc throughout the day but can't sit down for more than 10 minutes at any give time unless it's my time for projects, I always leave my computer windows open so if I need to walk by and check mail or something I can do it quickly and move on. This keeps me on task but also paying attention to my little bulldozer that makes frequent rounds around the house.

This is working so far for me. Scheduling time makes me feel less guilty for having my daughter playing by herself because I know she is getting a balance of alone time and mommy time.

Sorry for rambling so much...hope you find a solution that works for you.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:15

Someone on here told me to download the Motivated Mom's full version file to help me out. I am in love with it. By noon everything that needs to get done is done. I just started this and even though we have "help" that comes a few times a week I am noticing she doesn't have to do much as she did in the past so we may cut her back a day and then go from there. To be honest I don't think we even need her. I was able to be done by 11am on Sat with all of my chores and then have time for the kiddos and my work the rest of the day. It is something to think about. I wake up at 5:30 every morning and start doing things....it is kind of like a race for me to check off my list before lunch time.

Last edited by ronnie; 02-24-2011 at 02:46.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:22

Where can I find this file?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie View Post
Someone on here told me to download the Motivated Mom's full version file to help me out. I am in love with it. My noon everything that needs to get done is done. I just started this and even though we have "help" that comes a few times a week I am noticing she doesn't have to do much as she did in the past so we may cut her back a day and then go from there. To be honest I don't think we even need her. I was able to be done by 11am on Sat with all of my chores and then have time for the kiddos and my work the rest of the day. It is something to think about. I wake up at 5:30 every morning and start doing things....it is kind of like a race for me to check off my list before lunch time.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:30

We all go through this. I have 3 kids. 2 are in school and my 2 year old is home with me. I do like another poster suggested. I only 'work' when my son is busy playing or watching tv. I will have little things on hand to do. Crochet or maybe lining clips. Something I can get out and put away quickly. I save all the major things for after my kids are in bed. I usually work while I am watching tv. For me, working is my me time and my down time. If at any point it is not, then I will have to reevaluate my situation.
Also limiting your selection helps too. Or at least it does for me. Sure if I could, I would lots more variety of items on my site. But I only do what I can handle for right now. Sometimes it takes me a week or more to get a complete outfit put together. Also be realistic about your turnaround times. Yes, it might only take you a day or two to actually finish the order on a good day/week. But what if the order comes in when your kids are sick or you're sick? Its always good to have additional few days to get things done. Don't take any custom or rush orders if you can't handle them at any given time.

I have also found that if I spend lots of time with my son first thing and have him help me with the housework. He's ready to settle down with a few toys and play quietly sitting next to me while I work on the computer.
Sponsored Links
300-700-forum-banners
wholesale rompers, dresses, bloomers, hat, headbands, leg warmers, flower layers, tulle, boutique clothing and other craft supplies