hip girl boutique 1" metallic gold gliter sparkle ribbon
hip girl boutique grosgrain ribbon wrapped headbands for girls women baby toddler
hip girl boutique goody ponytail pigtail holder for women girl toddler baby

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Business Issues > General Business Issues

Old 02-21-2011, 01:42
ksterling628

Default Photographer *kinda* stole my products

I made contact with a local photographer awhile back and asked her to take some informal product shots for me in a hurry because I needed some to get my website launched. I gave her an entire basket of items, multiple items in different colors and told her to keep what she wanted and I would get the rest back from her sometime later in the week.

Didn't happen. I got the pictures, they were just ok..comparable to what I could have taken myself and I didn't get any product back. I probably gave her at least 100-150 (retail) of product and she took it all, gave me blah pictures and wouldn't respond to me afterward when I sent a message asking when I could meet her to pick up the rest of the product. I never heard from her again.

She is a well known photographer in the area and I didn't want to stir the pot. But I guess I should have. It's been too long now to really bother with doing anything. What should I have done?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7104e.jpg (32.7 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7070e.jpg (35.3 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7060e.jpg (38.3 KB, 80 views)

Last edited by ksterling628; 02-22-2011 at 01:20.
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/large/portrait-editing-ads-700.jpg
Old 02-21-2011, 02:34

Default Re: Photographer *kinda* stole my products

She did not kind of steal from you, she did steal from you! What an awful thing to do. Demand the product back, or ask her to pay you, minus what the pictures cost. If she refuses to, then post on her FB, and Blog that you would like her products back. I do not know the length of time, but threaten to file a police report against her, or threaten to take her to small claims court. She cannot get away with doing that to you.
~Janet~ Bow Hobbyist, retired WAHM.... When we move out of the way and give the Lord room to stand in our lives He will glorify Himself in us ~Isaiah 60:13
Old 02-21-2011, 02:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksterling628 View Post
I made contact with a local photographer awhile back and asked her to take some informal product shots for me in a hurry because I needed some to get my website launched. I gave her an entire basket of items, multiple items in different colors and told her to keep what she wanted and I would get the rest back from her sometime later in the week.

Didn't happen. I got the pictures, they were just ok..comparable to what I could have taken myself and I didn't get any product back. I probably gave her at least 100-150 (retail) of product and she took it all, gave me blah pictures and wouldn't respond to me afterward when I sent a message asking when I could meet her to pick up the rest of the product. I never heard from her again.

She is a well known photographer in the area and I didn't want to stir the pot. But I guess I should have. It's been too long now to really bother with doing anything. What should I have done?
Imo, that statement is just too vague. You can't accuse her of stealing if you told her to "keep what she wanted". What if she wanted all of it? You allowed her to make the decision as to how much she wanted to keep. Plus, it seems like you let too much time go by (at least, that's what I'm inferring from your post).

It's unfortunate, but I don't think there's anything you can do about it at this point other than ask her politely to return some of the items. If she declines, well then that ends that.

Sorry it happened to you.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:48
ksterling628

It was end of September and I have tried to contact her through F/B a few times. The reason I said kinda was because I was rather vague in what I was actually trading for. I didnt mind that she took what she wanted because she was doing me a favor at the last minute but I would think anyone with common sense would understand that I didn't mean keep the entire basket of stuff.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:50
ksterling628

That's why I didn't press the point. It was rather vague. The time from when this happened to when I contacted her was not long, and I have tried unsuccessfully to contact her several times since.

Lesson learned I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxine View Post
Imo, that statement is just too vague. You can't accuse her of stealing if you told her to "keep what she wanted". What if she wanted all of it? You allowed her to make the decision as to how much she wanted to keep. Plus, it seems like you let too much time go by (at least, that's what I'm inferring from your post).

It's unfortunate, but I don't think there's anything you can do about it at this point other than ask her politely to return some of the items. If she declines, well then that ends that.

Sorry it happened to you.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:54

Quote:
It was end of September and I have tried to contact her through F/B a few times. The reason I said kinda was because I was rather vague in what I was actually trading for. I didnt mind that she took what she wanted because she was doing me a favor at the last minute but I would think anyone with common sense would understand that I didn't mean keep the entire basket of stuff.
You would *think* someone wouldn't keep all of the items, but you can't assume something like that. Honestly, you need to make things very clear to people.. black on white.

I know you're upset, anyone would be. But without setting specific guidelines for the exchange, she took advantage of you. Was it nice? No. But did she do anything legally wrong (like steal)? I'd have to say no because there was an understanding that she could keep what she wanted.

The other possibility is that she has just been busy and hasn't really concerned herself with the products at all. They could be in a back room, just sitting there.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:59

So sorry this has happened to you. Does she have a studio where you could drop by and talk to her since she won't respond to emails?
Old 02-21-2011, 03:00

did you actually pay her for the pictures OR was the pay your product? Either way, I don't believe you should call it 'kinda' stole the products.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:16
ksterling628

Product was the pay. But regardless, with the amount of product vs. what I received in return, I got screwed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcroud View Post
did you actually pay her for the pictures OR was the pay your product? Either way, I don't believe you should call it 'kinda' stole the products.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:25

Quote:
Product was the pay. But regardless, with the amount of product vs. what I received in return, I got screwed.

Do you have a picture of what she took for you so we can see?
Because if I were trading for something like that I would be upset to get pictures that were not boutique quality if she was keeping the product, I would probably make her take them over and give her a sample of what type of picture you want and tell her you were not happy with what you got. When I did photography I never got anyone that complained and I would have taken them over if someone would have so you need to just be honest with her.
Sponsored Links
300-700-forum-banners
wholesale rompers, dresses, bloomers, hat, headbands, leg warmers, flower layers, tulle, boutique clothing and other craft supplies