Hipgirl 40 Yards 3/8" Grosgrain Fabric Ribbon Set For Gift Package Wrapping, Hair Bow Clips & Accessories Making, Crafting, Sewing, Wedding Decor, Boy Girl Baby Shower-(20x2yd Solid Boutique Ribbons)
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/5-8-satin-autism-pinwheel-bow.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/glitter-ribbon-250.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/kanzashi-flower-butterfly-forum-ads.JPG
New product--1.8mm bottle cap hole punch

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Business Issues > General Business Issues

Old 09-13-2010, 10:01

Default Wanting to start selling in boutiques and consignment shops...HELP!!

So I was rescently in this adorable high end boutique and noticed that they did not sell tutu's (i make tutu's and flower hair clips)..well they actually had 1 tutu but it was cheap looking...So i wanted to introduce myself and talk about selling my products in their store, but I chickened out...I just have no idea how it all works and where to start. Do they purchase my products wholesale? Or do we do a split? what kind of inventory do I need to supply? Do i bring in actual tutu's or just samples? Am i responsible for displaying the product?

there is just so much involved i dont want to go into this not knowing what to expect and then get hosed! Any suggestions would be SOOOOO appreciated!!!
Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-2010, 12:22

Default Re: Wanting to start selling in boutiques and consignment shops...HELP!!

anyone? PLEASE...IM DESPERATE!! LOL
Old 09-13-2010, 12:33

Default Re: Wanting to start selling in boutiques and consignment shops...HELP!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophiasenchantedcloset View Post
So I was rescently in this adorable high end boutique and noticed that they did not sell tutu's (i make tutu's and flower hair clips)..well they actually had 1 tutu but it was cheap looking...So i wanted to introduce myself and talk about selling my products in their store, but I chickened out...I just have no idea how it all works and where to start. Do they purchase my products wholesale? Or do we do a split? what kind of inventory do I need to supply? Do i bring in actual tutu's or just samples? Am i responsible for displaying the product?

there is just so much involved i dont want to go into this not knowing what to expect and then get hosed! Any suggestions would be SOOOOO appreciated!!!
HI!!!!

So, I am a newbie to this... But here's what I've gathered so far....

Don't be shy! You should totally approach them - I did this with a consignment boutique here in my town and she's TOTALLY interested in having me bring in my samples!!!

Some will buy straight from you. Was in my local beauty supply shop and he's asked me to bring in samples, because he wants to buy directly from me. Some will ask for a split, it depends on the store and what you are comfortable with.

Inventory should be based off of what you and the owner agree is a good starting point. No point in creating a massive beginning inventory before seeing how the product sells!!

I've been asked to bring in samples of my work. So, I would assume that having different samples of your work is what's going to get the owner hooked in!

Lastly, if you are going to be doing a split, I believe that you may be responsible for the setup/display. If you wholesale it to them, then you shouldn't have that to worry about. With each of my stores its different. One wants me to display the other wants to buy directly from and display himself...

So.... anyway! Hope this helps you!!! And good luck!!!!! Be bold and I'm SURE you'll get great responses!!! )
Old 09-13-2010, 03:46

Marking this thread- I was just about to come on and ask the same question!!
Old 09-13-2010, 04:06

I sell in 10 stores and its been a bit different with every store. I usually call or drop in to speak with the owner and see if I can show them some examples of what I make to see if they'd be interested in carrying them. Then I bring a few styles of everything I make and a printed price list. Most of my stores purchase from me up front and I consign at 2 stores.

The stores usually have their own ideas about display, but I have also simply made long strips of ribbon with a D-ring attached so they can hang my items like that.

They tag everything themselves and most stores do not want my bow cards with any of my info other than my store name.

If I was you, I would bring in 2-4 of your best selling/most popular color tutu's and then maybe some tulle samples or photos of other tutu's you've made. Figure up in your mind what $ you need to make from each tutu and then talk with the owner about pricing, not budging from what you know you need to make. And good luck!!! I hope it goes great!!
Old 09-13-2010, 04:48

one thing I have learned about being in this business.. DO NOT BE SHY.. If I see a lady in the grocery store with a little girl with a bow in her hair I talk to her and hand her my business card...

When I sold to my first store I actually had the lady buy a hair bow from me for her grand daughter and she went to the store owner and told him about me... I went in to speak with them and I took a few samples of each hair bow I offered and pictures from a photoshoot...

I usually sell straight to my stores .. if i just allow my items to be in their store and we agree on a rate for them to keep and sign a contract.. plus you have to think about if items get stolen, damaged, etc.. I also go in once a week to stores I don't sale straight out to and do inventory checks and redo my display... restock things that have sold.. all that stuff...
Old 09-13-2010, 05:07

I sell at 6 boutiques. At first I always take one example of each type of bow I have. I ask them if they would be interested in my bows. I always sell straight to them. They then mark them at whatever price they want and they display as they wish.

Once I'm in, I go in once a month. I take everything in my clear rubbermaids and let them get there hands on the product. They can buy right then, and if there are any colors or combos that they need, I bring them back next time.

I don't take a chart or cataloue. I have found that most people are impulsive (like me) and they will buy just because they like it. If they think about it too long they will sometimes back out, if they have to order and think about what they REALLY NEED.

Hope this helps a bit.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:03

Momof5, I totally agree with you! I learned the hard way -- twice -- not to give them too much time to think. The first boutique I approached a few years ago. I gave her charts, told her I could make what she wanted, and she was so excited, etc. etc. Told me to call back the next week. When I called back the next week, she told me to call back again. This went on for two weeks before I stopped back into the store...and discovered that she had bought from someone else in the meantime.

The SECOND time (as if I didn't learn the first time), just last year, a different store owner picked out a few products that I brought in and said she wanted some bows that would match the local college football team as well. A week later I came in with those bows....only to discover that someone else stopped in during that week and sold her their own!! In this case I was a little ticked off because the owner asked me to make her some, and then impulsively bought from someone else.

So, you're right...it's best to go in with product that they can buy on the spot! I've discovered that I don't really like to make a bunch of bows that may or may not sell, so I tend to stick with online sales, lol.

Deanna
www.birdsongbows.etsy.com
Old 09-14-2010, 10:12

thanks everyone for the advice! Unfortunatly for me its a little harder to bring in a full stock due to the time it takes me to make the tutu's, but I will for sure bring in my best sellers and some swatches!!
Old 09-15-2010, 10:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof5 View Post
I sell at 6 boutiques. At first I always take one example of each type of bow I have. I ask them if they would be interested in my bows. I always sell straight to them. They then mark them at whatever price they want and they display as they wish.

Once I'm in, I go in once a month. I take everything in my clear rubbermaids and let them get there hands on the product. They can buy right then, and if there are any colors or combos that they need, I bring them back next time.

I don't take a chart or cataloue. I have found that most people are impulsive (like me) and they will buy just because they like it. If they think about it too long they will sometimes back out, if they have to order and think about what they REALLY NEED.

Hope this helps a bit.
So, do you sell them for less to the boutiques then you would on say etsy or any other place?? Thanks for any more tips!
Sponsored Links

wholesale rompers, dresses, bloomers, hat, headbands, leg warmers, flower layers, tulle, boutique clothing and other craft supplies

Tags
boutiques, consignment, selling, tutus, wholesale