ribbon and bows and free hairbow instructions

http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/peony-ad.gif
7-8 zebra and leopard grosgrain ribbon
New product--7/8' sister ribbon
Mini Pinwheel Bows

New To Forum? Please check this out:

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Business Issues > General Business Issues

Old 08-04-2010, 03:00

Default Re: slowly drowning in my business

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldelzer View Post
TO ME (and maybe it's because I do this for a living), if you want your business to grow, you will have to have things in stock, probably at your house. When I make my colors, I do 20-25 at a time, each size.

In my humble opinion, it is worth the small inconvience of having to restock in order to capitalize on an impulse shopper.
If she's okay with keeping a large enough inventory on hand to accommodate wholesale customers -- great! Maybe I'm projecting here, but it sounds like she's not ready for that right now. She might want to set up conditions for wholesale purchases until she can catch her breath.

Last edited by Dede; 08-04-2010 at 03:09.
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/candylandbeads.jpg
Old 08-04-2010, 03:20

I use to have a lot on hand at my house, but they bought them all! I mean all of them! So now I'm back to square one making them all again...which shouldn't be a problem per say, but the week off is really going to hurt me remaking them.

I think I'll ask DH if I can take some supplies or unsewn bows and finish them on the car ride...no way he wants to talk to me for 9 hours lol. All he'll hear about is bows lol

You're right you could tell she was an impulsive buyer and that is great to a certain point. I'm thrilled they want them and all, but I don't carry many at my shop since it's a smaller retail place and would rather have those bows out for my retail customers (mainly because it looks really bare once they have picked out what they want and I like it to look really stocked and be really stocked for customers). I really don't think she'll want to come to my house to get any if I did keep them at my house...I really think they llike how they are displayed at the shop on bow holders...which they bought and now I'm out of bow holders for the shop..well untill walmart can get some more D-rings in. So I don't think carring them at my house would really make a difference in this case, other wholesalers yes, her probably not.

I'm sure I can think of something that will suit everyones needs including mine
Old 08-04-2010, 03:25

Yep, I really just wanted you to encourage her shopping impulsivity. I'm randomly guessing, but I suspect it could be a 25-50% increase if you allow her to shop impulsively. I dearly love the impulsive shopper.

Good luck with everything!
Old 08-04-2010, 03:29

Quote:
Yep, I really just wanted you to encourage her shopping impulsivity. I'm randomly guessing, but I suspect it could be a 25-50% increase if you allow her to shop impulsively. I dearly love the impulsive shopper.

I understand that. I'm going to let her do it this weekend because trip and supplies money would be nice, but if I can't get caught up quick enough after vacation I'm going to have her order them. I love impulsive buyers too, just rather them be retailers lol beggers can't be choosers though.
Old 08-04-2010, 03:42

Quote:

I love this "I dearly love the impulse shopper" LOL that's ME!
Old 08-04-2010, 04:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshineshoppe View Post
Why do you think I know all about them? ha!
Old 08-04-2010, 04:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshineshoppe View Post
Me too...especially in a craft store lol I don't think just throw it in the basket lol
Old 08-04-2010, 05:03

I agree it's great to have impulse shoppers, but they should be your retail customers.
I too did this for a living for years and I sold at wholesale markets and cash and carry markets for a few years in the Atlanta market when I lived in FL, but in a different venue. I sold painted wood/small furniture. I loved both markets and while the Cash and Carry shows were "instant gartification" so to speak (you got your money right away), I would rather do a wholesale market show any day. I knew I would have to work like a crazy woman when I got home to fill my orders but I also knew that I had set how many of each product I had to make and when I had to have them completed and out the door and I knew I could do it. At cash and carry shows I had to have a HUGE inventory and hope the customers LOVED what I brought...they could contact me to order after the show but they wanted to walk away with merchandise...thus the name of the show...also at at Cash and Carry shows I didn't have limits...they could buy 1, 2 or 10, and the small business owners love that.
Wholesale customers know they do not shop in a retail store and expect wholesale prices. You have to decide if you want to sell retail, wholesale or both. If it's both you need to make sure you know the difference and treat each customer as such. This is YOUR business. Set your store and wholesale policies, have them in writing and stick to them. Respect all your customers and they will respect you. Make sure you are organized. It is not good business to deprive your retail customers of shopping in a full store because a wholesale customer has stripped it. Wholesale customers know that they need to order product and there is a waiting peroid for production and delivery. They will try to push you to see if YOU know that. Put terms in writing on their order form...make sure they SIGN it.
I don't want to do the "market" again. It was hard work but it was fun and I learned a lot about business. And YES...I made some mistakes and learned how to correct them without them being total disasters
This is the second writing of this (my internet decided to shut down as I hit the send button and I lost the first one..which was much better), so I hope I got all the basics. I'm sorry it is so long...but the first one was longer ...you all know how much I write when I am passionate about things (and even when I'm not). I hope it makes sense and some of you get something out of what I'm saying...I know you are not going to "market" but a wholesale customer is the same here or there...they are NOT a retail customer.
OK I'm done now...getting off my soap box...I'm sure I didn't cover everything I had written in my much better post before but I'm gonna spare you LOL.

Quote:
I have to offer a different point of view:

It sounds to me like this is an impulsive shopper. YOU WANT an impulse shopper. She will buy more "on the spot", versus having to think about it. Don't give her the chance to change her mind. I truly feel (in this case) that it is to your advantage to have your shop in your booth.

TO ME (and maybe it's because I do this for a living), if you want your business to grow, you will have to have things in stock, probably at your house. When I make my colors, I do 20-25 at a time, each size.

In my humble opinion, it is worth the small inconvience of having to restock in order to capitalize on an impulse shopper.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:06

Thanks Dede...sometimes I do have a clue LOL

Where you been hiding????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dede View Post
Congratulations!

Diane is absolutely right. Wholesale means the customer is willing to give up convenience in exchange for bulk pricing. They have to deal with minimum orders and pre-ordering (with wait time) -- this is business!

If you don't set your terms, they will set them for you.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:19

while it is awesome they are buying I would say wholesale prices ONLY are avail if you order with an order form that YOU (the seller) provides and will not be on instock items UNLESS you have a stash that is separate in a bin or something
min $$ first order and min $ for orders after that. just like any business.
I would make a ton extra for the bin, anymore above and beyond that is 1- regular price 2- ordered through you for a custom wholesale.

Last edited by natesgirl; 08-04-2010 at 05:55.
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/shabbyflowers.jpg