new products--pop dot diy pinwheel bows

http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/no-liner-bottle-cap-combo.jpg

http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/7-8-grosgrain-ribbon-soft-ball.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/7-8-dizzy-bees-ribbon-grosgrain-combo-.JPG
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/ladybug-applique-red-dot.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/half-wrapped%2050mm-snap-clips.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/flat-back-pearl-shpk.JPG

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Business Issues > General Business Issues

Old 07-31-2010, 03:32

Question M2MG ribbon, mouse head ribbon--copyright infringement?

Ok, so I know there are other posts in regards to this very subject, but I just want to make sure I understand things right.

I've been reading through different posts/article for the better part of today. So, from what I understand, it is ok to sell M2MG/mouse head bows, etc., as long as you put a disclaimer that you are not affiliated with "x" company, but have made your product using licensed materials. Is that right?

What about things like princess clippies? Are these safe to sell? Does the word "inspired" need to be in the description?

How about making hairbows with bottle caps? if I make a bow to sell, the image needs to be a licensed one (licensed bottle cap), right?

As far as licensed ribbons go, Tabbywabby/Ribbon Heaven and Oh My Gosh Goodies are licensed to sell their printed ribbons, right? So, that would make it safe for us to sell hair bows made with their ribbon, right?

I just want to make sure I cover my tail.

Any thoughts/feedback of what you know, or where some really useful information is, I'd appreciate it!
Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-2010, 08:31

Default Re: M2MG ribbon, mouse head ribbon--copyright infringement?

bump, for the night crowd.

anyone have any input?
Old 07-31-2010, 09:03

From what I understand from others here, Gymbo is ok to reproduce on ribbon because they do not copyright their images. Disney is a different story. You are right in that those sellers are licensed, but using bottlecaps (except like from Michaels that are licensed) isn't ok. I think it would always be safe to add a disclaimer - better safe than sorry.
Old 07-31-2010, 09:59

Most mouse head ribbon is printed overseas without Disney's permission. The only supplier that I am aware of for legally printed mouse head ribbon is Ribbonheaven / Tabbywabby (and her designer Jena that is sweetpeasribbonsbows.com). She prints ribbon for Disney on Ice & resells Disney prints with their permission.

HOWEVER, we as bow-makers do not have the right to use their names: Disney, Minnie, etc. Even if the word inspired is in it, you will still get reprimanded. I had some cute plaid ribbon that looked just like Burberry. I had the words Burberry inspired in my title and Etsy shut down my listing.

Old 07-31-2010, 10:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilredsmiles View Post
Most mouse head ribbon is printed overseas without Disney's permission. The only supplier that I am aware of for legally printed mouse head ribbon is Ribbonheaven / Tabbywabby (and her designer Jena that is sweetpeasribbonsbows.com). She prints ribbon for Disney on Ice & resells Disney prints with their permission.

HOWEVER, we as bow-makers do not have the right to use their names: Disney, Minnie, etc. Even if the word inspired is in it, you will still get reprimanded. I had some cute plaid ribbon that looked just like Burberry. I had the words Burberry inspired in my title and Etsy shut down my listing.

Ok, thanks for the clarification on the ribbon.

So, for something like ribbon sculpture princesses, is it best to just say is princess, without a specific name (cinderella, etc.)? Would a "no affiliation" disclaimer be the best bet in the description, also...or is it better to stay clear of making them, altogether?

I understand we cannot use the terms disney, etc., but can say something like "mousehead"?
Old 07-31-2010, 10:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ordi5103 View Post
From what I understand from others here, Gymbo is ok to reproduce on ribbon because they do not copyright their images. Disney is a different story. You are right in that those sellers are licensed, but using bottlecaps (except like from Michaels that are licensed) isn't ok. I think it would always be safe to add a disclaimer - better safe than sorry.

That's what I thought. Thanks for your input.
Old 07-31-2010, 11:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiesandpolkadots View Post
Ok, thanks for the clarification on the ribbon.

So, for something like ribbon sculpture princesses, is it best to just say is princess, without a specific name (cinderella, etc.)? Would a "no affiliation" disclaimer be the best bet in the description, also...or is it better to stay clear of making them, altogether?

I understand we cannot use the terms disney, etc., but can say something like "mousehead"?
That is what Donna (owner of ribbonheaven.com) suggests. I think just calling it a princess would be generic enough. As long as you don't say a use their specific terms (Minnie, Cinderella, etc).

Old 07-31-2010, 11:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilredsmiles View Post
That is what Donna (owner of ribbonheaven.com) suggests. I think just calling it a princess would be generic enough. As long as you don't say a use their specific terms (Minnie, Cinderella, etc).
That's what I was thinking. Thanks!
Sponsored Links

Tags
copyright, copyright infringement, copyright laws, m2mg infringement, mousehead infringement