http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/jewelboxballerina-800.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Business Issues > General Business Issues

Old 07-21-2010, 09:45

Default Re: Those with a "brick and mortar store"...

The traffic is why I chose to be in the mall instead of a stand alone somewhere (even though the mall does not have the best foot traffic).

I know I would not be making near what I do now if I was on the corner somewhere.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-2010, 09:46

Also, what do "you" consider making a profit? Is it selling enough each mont for rent, utilities and inventory sold or is it selling enough to pay off the inventory not sold also?
Old 07-21-2010, 10:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by JodiR View Post
Also, what do "you" consider making a profit? Is it selling enough each mont for rent, utilities and inventory sold or is it selling enough to pay off the inventory not sold also?
That's a great point...find the same with craft shows. You ask one person how they did last year at a particular show and they say great..well their version of great is $300...not mine!!
Old 07-21-2010, 10:13

you'd have to really know what you are doing to go to a mall kiosk. At a good mall those are horribly expensive. In my area a kiosk is $3000. In las vegas they are $10,000
Old 07-22-2010, 06:09

Does any one have a mall kiosk? i have always walked through the mall wondering how those did.
Old 07-22-2010, 12:51

I have a commercial property for my stuff. I call it my "store" but it's really a wholesale showroom. It's not in a mall but a strip center. I have about 450 sq/ft (not enough space) and all utilities are included. I noticed you are in Texas, I'm in Arlington. I lucked out and am next to the cheerleading association, a doctor's office, and allstate agency. I pay $659/month and that includes electricity, 2 phone lines, and T-1 high speed data. It's a great deal. I will be moving in the next few months to a much bigger warehouse to accomodate all my stuff.

I was told by my real estate agent, that commercial property in my area should rent for $1 sq/ft per month. That is with a long term lease and I would need to pay utilities. With my current arrangement, I'm month to month! Only requires 10 days notice to vacate, no deposit, etc. Awesome for just starting out!

The carts in the mall about a mile from my store are right around $2000/month last time I checked. It's been a while. It's a high traffic mall, so that might impact rental expenses, too.

Having a commercial space, versus a mall space, I can be open any hours versus mall hours. That also means less traffic, so I had to factor in a little bit of advertising when I was open on "Second Saturday". But now the store is by appointment only - I do mostly wholesale, but occassionally I'll get a group of women. I require a minimum $200 in sales if you come to the store.

Basically, my husband wanted all the stuff out of the house, so this is what I came up with. Although, I've now taken up 1/2 of the garage again with the latest deliveries because I'm out of space. UGH!

I recommend getting an real estate agent that specializes in commercial property and have them take you out exploring. They know the secrets and provide a great perspective!
Sponsored Links