New product--2.5' Zebra Printed Grosgrain Ribbon
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/banners/peace-sign-grosgrain-ribbon-ads.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/7-8-grosgrain-ribbon-volleyball-forest-green.jpg
New Instructions--How to make korker hair bow using a korker box hip girl boutique grosgrain ribbon korker for hair bows, hair clips, baby women, toddler, girl, adult, floral design, birthday holiday gift wrapping
New product--star ribbon for cheer bows

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Business Issues > General Business Issues

Old 07-20-2010, 06:04

Default Re: Craft Show looky lou's?!!

I had that happen at my first show, now she copies me from online it honestly has to be one of the most frustrating things ever. The first time it happened I just kind of smiled and was vague, she was even asking me where I got my supplies and she had a clip stand at the same sale. If I had known how far she would take it, I would have handled it so differently! I love the idea of the pictures 5.00 sign lol.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2010, 07:31

I have had this happen as well. It's wierd. I barely have the nerve to enter someone else's booth that does things similar to mine - I usually wear dark sunglasses!!! Ha!!!! But I would nEVER take a picture!!!

I guess look at it as flattery. It is hard, but most likely, these are moms or grandma's that are not going to attempt to build a buisness doing it. And we all KNOW how long it takes to perfect a twisted boutique bow!!! Even woven headbands gave me a run for y money at first!!! I ALWAYS have a TON of people ask how I do my bottlecaps. My answer now is that "there are 18 steps from beginning product to what you are holding." (that is the truth - I counted) and then they usually say "WOW!!!" and that is the end.

I would love to see a tutu of someone that just tries to copy and tie it - ha!!! It won't look like ours. Everything takes practice. People have balls.

Heck - I had a garage sale at my home last year, and hung some signs saying "Se habla espanol" - (Spanish spoken here). I had a woman come up to me to check out and say "Well, I don't see a sign here that says "Good morning" to me in ENGLISH!!" I had no idea what she was talking about, so she stepped back and waved her finger at the sign, and said "We live in AMERICA!" And I said, "WEll, I consider myself blessed to speak both languages" - Should have said it in SPanish and blown her over!!!! Oh well!!!
Shelley
Old 07-20-2010, 09:06

I have to be honest I have taken pictures at craft shows but not of peoples specific products. I don't pick up peoples work and inspect it either. I take pictures of craft show tent set-ups I think are amazing to give me ideas for displays or how to set up my grid wall and tent. I have had people give me permission to take photos and others I took from a distance. Maybe I should not take them, I know I did not mean disrespect.
I do think someone has a lot of nerve though to walk into someone's tent, pick an item apart or take a picture of it right in front of the product or you. I have never done that and never will.

Last edited by creativekiddos; 07-20-2010 at 09:10.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:17

I am so glad I have not really ever had an issue like this!

I do a few shows where it is the same bow lady there with me and she seems really nice, I think it is either her mother or grandma that will come over and examine my things. She doesnt, she might come look and make a comment or two, but I do that to her as well, we are friendly rivals LOL But between my grandma and hers, well its like they want to start something! LOL Both of them walk to the other both, pick things up, examine them closely and hers will say things like "oh I see how thats done....." and walk away. I am sure my grandma is over there saying similar "my granddaughter could make this..."

Really I just go over to see what she has made I like looking at others work, it is no different than looking at posts here where people are sharing their projects or looking around on etsy, I have no intention on stealing her ideas. She has bottlecap bows and I did not use to have them, I just started doing bottlecaps a few months ago, more because I needed something for the boys(necklaces) but I have purposefully not put them on bows for those shows because I respect her and do not want it to look like I am taking her ideas. So far she has done the same, our styles are different and we keep it that way.

I feel so bad for all of those out there who have to deal with copycats, and even for the copycats who can not take the time to come up with their own ideas.

Krista
Old 07-20-2010, 09:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipchik View Post
I am really considering the "Pictures $5" sign. I've even had some ask if they could take pics and caught me off guard. It's really uncomfortable.

Now, my question is how do you deal with shoplifters? I actually had a family set up on me at one of my first shows. It was a mom, dad, and three teenage girls. The dad came up started asking questions while the others blocked my view, so when I saw what was going on they set up a block and wouldn't let me past them! When I finally got around to the front where the other girls were I saw one putting stuff in her pocket and tried to confront them. They started yelling "she's accusing us of stealing don't buy from her" it was humiliating. By this time the dad hurried and paid my MIL and they left. After about 5 minutes they walked back by, throwing the item he purchased at us. My MIL quickly gave them their money back just so we could get rid of them, plus it happened so fast she didn't know what was going on.

I think we all will deal with people like this at some point, but the main thing is to prepare yourself for these moments. It is even more overwhelming when you're caught off guard and you wish you would have handled the situation differently.

It's really nice to have everyone's input on here, especially when dealing with the negativities. Someone is always here to crack a joke and understand!
HOW AWFUL!!!! I could see when it is just teenage girls BUT WHAT ARE THOSE PARENTS THINKING!?!?!?!

Krista
Old 07-20-2010, 09:46

Uggh I hate people that are this rude. I get them all the time. Or they want to dress up their kids and take their picture and not buy the stuff. It makes me really mad!!!!! I am now taking a hard line on this now because of so many jerks in the world. There is no reason that anyone needs a picture of something you are selling. If they want it buy it. The top person I have ever had was this one lady. I do a huge exclusive show for 3 months. It is a really good show but I had to wait for 3 years to get in and also do odd times. The vendor next to me came into my booth and asked what my card looked like. I was slammed with people at the time. After I went out and found out that they had to chase this lady away from my booth. She was on the other side hitting up the people leaving my booth giving them cards and saying she could make the items in my booth for them. Yeah what a B! Karma sucks because I caught up with her right as she was at the owners office trying to convince him to give her a space. It was so nice to let him know about her right in front of her.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:47

Pictures $5.00 I love it. I am so doing it!
Old 07-20-2010, 10:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by weesewcute View Post
Pictures $5.00 I love it. I am so doing it!
LOL Me too! At my last show I had this family try on at least 4 different lots of wings on both of their daughters. I was distracted at the time with another customer, but my MIL saw that they were basically just having a photo session in front of my booth. Arghhh! Thankfully they bought wings in the end...but only 1 pair, so the other daughter went away crying. Nice one.

Sponsored Links
300-700-forum-banners
wholesale rompers, dresses, bloomers, hat, headbands, leg warmers, flower layers, tulle, boutique clothing and other craft supplies