http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/jewelboxballerina-800.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Business Issues > General Business Issues

Old 02-23-2010, 09:26

Default starting a tutu business and need some ?'s answered :)

Hello Ladies!

I'm a mom of 3 babies 3 and under, the oldes being autistic. I'm starting a tutu business to pay for the doctor bills that keep coming from treating my autistic son naturally. (necessity is the mother of invention! I have a few questions for you.

Is it better to start with etsy and if it takes off, then attempt a REAL business plan?

Where can I find high quality tags for the tutus...(you know, with my business name and a graphic on it etc.)

Best place for business cards? Ideas for where to find graphics for them?

Thoughts on tulle? Is any one more "premium" than the other?! I realize the 6inch spools are the best way to go...but I'm looking for the ULTIMATE in premium tulle to use...

I appreciate any and all help as I'm trying to get this figured out and off the ground asap. Thank you all!!
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/whimsydoodlegraphics.gif
Old 02-23-2010, 09:35

Default Re: starting a tutu business and need some ?'s answered :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by batgirlandrobin View Post
Hello Ladies!

I'm a mom of 3 babies 3 and under, the oldes being autistic. I'm starting a tutu business to pay for the doctor bills that keep coming from treating my autistic son naturally. (necessity is the mother of invention! I have a few questions for you.

Is it better to start with etsy and if it takes off, then attempt a REAL business plan? Etsy and craft shows I would think or your own website but with lots of advertising.

Where can I find high quality tags for the tutus...(you know, with my business name and a graphic on it etc.) not sure

Best place for business cards? Ideas for where to find graphics for them? I buy my business cards from vista printing and girlfrosting from here on hipgirlclips designed it for me.

Thoughts on tulle? Is any one more "premium" than the other?! I realize the 6inch spools are the best way to go...but I'm looking for the ULTIMATE in premium tulle to use... I have bought it from nashville wraps in the past but I'm no pro on it.

I appreciate any and all help as I'm trying to get this figured out and off the ground asap. Thank you all!!
Good luck with it all
Old 02-23-2010, 10:16

First, welcome, I see this is your first post. THis place is great and full of information. Utilize the search button as it is a wonderful tool and will find all the answers to all your questions and more. Good luck to you and post pics of your work, we love pics. My answers are in red.

Quote:
Originally Posted by batgirlandrobin View Post
Hello Ladies!

Is it better to start with etsy and if it takes off, then attempt a REAL business plan? I started with etsy but it didn't take off as there are so many wonderful bow and tutu makers out there I just got lost in the sea of beautiful things so I approached stores to put my stuff in and then did shows, and now have a fb fanpage and website. I think each person just has to find what works for them and their area, trial and error so to speak.

Where can I find high quality tags for the tutus...(you know, with my business name and a graphic on it etc.) You can have these custom made, girlfrosting here does beautiful work, or just print and make your own.

Best place for business cards? Ideas for where to find graphics for them?I buy mine from vistaprint

Thoughts on tulle? Is any one more "premium" than the other?! I realize the 6inch spools are the best way to go...but I'm looking for the ULTIMATE in premium tulle to use...I think everyone is different, some prefer the soft tulle, others prefer the stiffer tulle, you'll want to work with it and find what you and your customers like best. I prefer Nashville Wraps or HL tulle.

Old 07-14-2010, 02:10

i am new to the biz as well, I found that the best place for business cards is on vistaprint.com, they have good prices and the quality is great! As far as Etsy, i just started building my page, but I actually started on facebook and created a business page that and just sent page suggestions to all my friends and asked them to suggest my page to there friends. I seem to get most of my business through family and friends though...with tutu's, I think physically seeing the product works best...but im running out of friends! I buy my tulle from bbcrafts in the 100 yard rolls. So far the only color that I wasnt happy with was the turquoise, it was very "limp", so I called and they told me that it could be the lot they have now and they are sending me the smaller 25 yard rolls, so I will see if its any different!

Good Luck...hope that helped!
Sponsored Links
http://hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/phoshnpretty.jpg