Craft Show Display Ideas
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/hair-bow-gift-basket-tutorial-title.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/clothesline-for-craft-show-display-title.jpg http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/bow-card-punch-tutorial-title.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/hair-bow-display-bow-title.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/hair-bow-holder-craft-show-display-title.jpg http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/custom%20bow%20cards-3-sm.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/dress-form-craft-show-display-title.JPG

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Business Issues > General Business Issues

Old 01-10-2010, 03:23

Arrow Selling to Boutiques??

Ok.....so, I havent been brave enough to do this yet, but for future reference........I have read about how some of yall sell your creations to your local boutiques. How and what is the process to do that?
How do you charge them for your items? How do you even ask if they want to do it? Do you set up the displays or do they? How often do you restock?..................etc, etc, etc.
I live in a small town (we have a few consignment shops, but not what you would call boutiques). But, in the city next to me there are some up-to-do hair salons, ets. And this may be something Im interested in if I can get enough info first...........I just dont want to come out short, if ya know what I mean?
Thanks in advance ladies--yall always have the best advice!!!
Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2010, 11:19

Default Re: Selling to Boutiques??

OK...tyring again.....I know there has to be some ladies with some knowledge in this...............anyone???
Old 01-25-2010, 02:36

I'm sorry. I have no experience with this yet,so I cant help you,but wanted to respond to the thread. I'm hoping to do this at some point,too,so of course i'll be watching this thread. Good Luck with getting your questions answered.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:10

I have no advice for you because I was going to ask this same question, so I will be watching this post and hope you get some great answers soon
Old 01-25-2010, 11:31

Ok...here is what I do....I have my hair bows in a upscale consignment shop. (gymboree clothes with tags still on them I contacted the owner as soon as she opened and just asked her if she would be interested in selling hair bows. My thoughts were if she said no...not a problem. She said yes. First I just put my bows in her shop and she took 20% of the sales. Now she just buys them for between 40% - 50% off my reg price. She hangs the bows near the front desk. I put them on 36 inch ribbons with the price at the top and a clear shower curtain ring. You can fit a lot of bows on the ribbon. I will check in with her once a month or if she needs something she calls me. When its holiday time, I will make an extra trip. I have helped her business and she has helped mine.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenBow View Post
Ok...here is what I do....I have my hair bows in a upscale consignment shop. (gymboree clothes with tags still on them I contacted the owner as soon as she opened and just asked her if she would be interested in selling hair bows. My thoughts were if she said no...not a problem. She said yes. First I just put my bows in her shop and she took 20% of the sales. Now she just buys them for between 40% - 50% off my reg price. She hangs the bows near the front desk. I put them on 36 inch ribbons with the price at the top and a clear shower curtain ring. You can fit a lot of bows on the ribbon. I will check in with her once a month or if she needs something she calls me. When its holiday time, I will make an extra trip. I have helped her business and she has helped mine.
Thank you for the reply I am going on Friday to about 8 different upscale boutiques, so this will help me out a little !!
Old 01-26-2010, 03:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenBow View Post

Well were you making more when she took 20% of the sales or now that she is getting them at 50% off? I am just thinking that my boutique bows--if I normally sell them from $8 each, I sell them to her for $4 each, I only make $4 profit then minus the supplies at a cost of about $2.50 each....................... So bad at math. But, am I thinking it right?? I just dont want to get stuck in something where I am loosing money or not making enough to make it worth the trips out there.
TIA!!
Old 01-26-2010, 03:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah'sMommee View Post
Well were you making more when she took 20% of the sales or now that she is getting them at 50% off? I am just thinking that my boutique bows--if I normally sell them from $8 each, I sell them to her for $4 each, I only make $4 profit then minus the supplies at a cost of about $2.50 each....................... So bad at math. But, am I thinking it right?? I just dont want to get stuck in something where I am loosing money or not making enough to make it worth the trips out there.
TIA!!
I do not sell to boutique owners, but know some that do.
I am not a big help, but really IF you ask 8.00 each and you are wanting to out right sell them to the boutiques at a wholesale price, you don't have to tell them what you normally get out of them because boutiques seem to be higher priced anyways. Think about the money for the material and then your time. Maybe decide on 5.00 or 6.00. Then the boutique will decide what they are going to sell them for. Most boutiques double their money.
Now if you want to put them in boutiques on a consignment basis, say you sell them for 8.00 and pay them 20% of the sales, you would profit $6.40.
Good idea to keep a calculator going!

Put a list together of what all you sell, pictures next to the item and the price you are wanting to sell at either wholesale or consignment, in an excel spreadsheet or a word doc.
Take in a few of YOUR BEST bows and colors. Show them what you are offering and then leave them with the price list. OH don't forget contact info for you!!!

IF you are as chicken as I am, you could just put a sample bow in a nice box or bag with the wholesale prices and who you are. Give it to the manager and ask her nicely, can you give this to the owner. Tell her that you will pick it back up in a few days. This I could do. A friend of mine does it this way all the time! She then just waits for the calls. There is NO pressure on you or the owner this way!

Hope everything goes GREAT for you! Let us know how it went!
Old 01-27-2010, 02:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by briellasnana View Post
I do not sell to boutique owners, but know some that do.
I am not a big help, but really IF you ask 8.00 each and you are wanting to out right sell them to the boutiques at a wholesale price, you don't have to tell them what you normally get out of them because boutiques seem to be higher priced anyways. Think about the money for the material and then your time. Maybe decide on 5.00 or 6.00. Then the boutique will decide what they are going to sell them for. Most boutiques double their money.
Now if you want to put them in boutiques on a consignment basis, say you sell them for 8.00 and pay them 20% of the sales, you would profit $6.40.
Good idea to keep a calculator going!

Put a list together of what all you sell, pictures next to the item and the price you are wanting to sell at either wholesale or consignment, in an excel spreadsheet or a word doc.
Take in a few of YOUR BEST bows and colors. Show them what you are offering and then leave them with the price list. OH don't forget contact info for you!!!

IF you are as chicken as I am, you could just put a sample bow in a nice box or bag with the wholesale prices and who you are. Give it to the manager and ask her nicely, can you give this to the owner. Tell her that you will pick it back up in a few days. This I could do. A friend of mine does it this way all the time! She then just waits for the calls. There is NO pressure on you or the owner this way!

Hope everything goes GREAT for you! Let us know how it went!

I love the idea of giving the box. I dont like pressure on me or them thinking I am trying to push something on them (and honestly, the boutiques I have been in, the management is not the nicest in the world....) so, that could probably work. The waiting on the calls would drive me nuts, but oh well. Thanks so much for the ideas and help. I knew I could find it here!!
Old 01-27-2010, 03:50

Oooh, the giving a box sample is a great idea! I will have to try that!
Sponsored Links

wholesale rompers, dresses, bloomers, hat, headbands, leg warmers, flower layers, tulle, boutique clothing and other craft supplies

Tags
boutiques, business, general, off topic