ribbon and bows and free hairbow instructions

http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/peony-ad.gif
7-8 zebra and leopard grosgrain ribbon

Mini Pinwheel Bows

New To Forum? Please check this out:

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Business Issues > General Business Issues

Old 02-09-2008, 05:36

Default Why You Can NOT Sell Disney Crafts

i love the things you ladies come up with.
recently i have seen the disney princess clippies selling on ebay.
i have also seen items made with disney bottle caps.

you absolutely cannot sell these.
it is illegal and disney is indeed quick to sue.
i believe if you are caught the going rate is $10,000 per incident.

a quote from disney:

Disney works hard to preserve the integrity of its name and its copyrights, trademarks and logos. Among other reasons, the auction of infringing merchandise, which is often not of the same quality required of a Disney product, damages Disney’s reputation and leads to complaints from consumers and internet users about this poor quality. Consumers may attribute to Disney the inferior quality of unauthorized products purchased over eBay. Disney must be vigilant in protecting the goodwill associated with the Disney name and copyrights.

While the creation of craft items using Disney copyrights or trademarks is infringing, Disney does not generally dispute craft items made by fans for their personal use. Where, however, those items are listed for sale, the user is seeking a commercial benefit from his or her infringing conduct.

so my friends, do not sell disney.
plain and simple.
if it looks like a disney character or is made from disney items you are in violation of copyright.

please don't flame the messenger.

namaste
(and NO disney)
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/shabbyflowers.jpg
Old 02-09-2008, 06:16

Default Re: Why You Can NOT Sell Disney Crafts

I have also heard that Sanyo/Sanio is very aggressive in pursuing copyright infringement on Hello Kitty lookalikes.
Old 02-09-2008, 06:26

i personately make disney princesses bottlecaps and there are made from disney stickers i bought at walmart and other stores..I dont think im violating any laws because i bought the actual sticker and payed taxes on them right?

i can do whatever i want with them right?..

Hi im Liz or liza
Old 02-09-2008, 06:40

Tisha my husband and I were just talking about this very topic a couple of days ago. I found it interesting what you told us and was wondering where you found your information. I want to look more into this. Who knew making a simple bow could get you into so much trouble. All I can say is WOW. Thanks for sharing it with us.
Old 02-09-2008, 07:20

This is how I've always understood licensed logos, characters, etc too. I've had people ask me to make football team themed applique overalls and other things that I didn't do because it's just not worth getting in trouble over in my opinion.

I remember reading up on trademark/copyright information one time and saw that it was alright for personal use or to give as a gift, but I can't find the part about gift giving right now. I've only looked for a few minutes, but it's dinner time and the brain is apparently in need of sustenance. Does anyone know of a reliable (and understandable) source to see that info in writing? It might be worth bookmarking.

This is also why I always end up spending the time to 'hand draw' all the graphics I use on my bottlecaps, website, etc. It's a pain and takes more time than just copying something I see, but I know it's mine and therefore I know I won't ever get in any trouble for them. If it's not freeware, then I won't use it, but that's just me.

Like dlizious, I also would like to know about using licensed supplies (like the Disney bottlecaps) as an ingredient in things that are resold. That's something I haven't found yet, so if anyone knows about that I'd love to see it!

A bit about copyright info can be found on my site's copyright info page: A Flight of Fancy: Copyright Information

BTW, thanks for helping me realize that I'm past due on updating all that sort of thing to 2008. Oi, another thing to add to the to-do list.

Last edited by Tonya; 02-09-2008 at 07:34.
Old 02-09-2008, 08:39

When I was in college, I saw a guy getting arrested for making Micky Mouse Tshirt. I was at the college street fair, some guy was there selling t shirts with disney characters he had hand drawn on them. It was his first day at the fair, and within a couple of hours, the police came, took all of his things and arrested him.

My online store:

Old 02-09-2008, 09:57

glad i never got that mickey mouse tattoo
Old 02-09-2008, 09:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Jill* View Post
glad i never got that mickey mouse tattoo
LOL..that is funny!

Hi im Liz or liza
Old 02-10-2008, 11:49

dlizious, you are indeed in violation.

any item disney sells can only be used as personal items or as a FREE gift.

Q. Why can’t I sell craft items that use Disney characters?

A. While the creation of craft items using Disney copyrights or trademarks is infringing, Disney does not generally dispute craft items made by fans for their personal use. Where, however, those items are listed for sale on eBay, the user is seeking a commercial benefit from his or her infringing conduct. contact disney and ask for the verified owners rights and tradmark infringement policy.

if you own one of those cheap-o disney sewing machines, it says over and over in the directions that any images cannot be resold and any items made from that machine cannot be sold.

a daycare center was actually sued into bankruptcy for putting a pooh pic on their letters sent home to parents.

sunday is my reporting day and i reported 20 listings under "boutique clothing" to tips@disneyantipiracy.com.

i actually hate disney and don't allow it in the house.
it is worse than barbie and all the children who come out of the disney studios are so messed up.

still, i am a troll and look for any bootlegs, not just disney.
i have had so many of our pictures, backgrounds and actual listings stolen in the past that i feel responsible to make ebay safer for everyone.
Old 02-10-2008, 01:56

This seems very big brother-ish to me!!!!

If I purchased fabric, ribbon whatever and I want to design a pillowcase dress of the ... lets say Ariel pattern - I should be able to do what ever I want with the fabric I PAID FOR!!!!!! People see things, like your style or quality of things you make - do they think I'm going to sell things for what I paid for them??? Or give them as *gifts*?

People buy and turn items into things all the time.

CRAZY!!!!!

Amanda
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/shabbyflowers.jpg