New products--small fold over bow card for craft show
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/bitsybands-150.gif
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/diysuppliesandkits125.jpg http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/jewelboxballerina.gif
New products--hip girl clips
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/RonisBowTique-150.jpg
New products--daisy new colors

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Business Issues > General Business Issues

Old 08-11-2010, 09:47

Default Re: Why You Can NOT Sell Disney Crafts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGalinSteerland View Post
Dora is a licensed character, so no.
I kinda assumed you ordered non licensed ones. If that is the case, no you cant use them. If they are licensed, you are legally allowed to us them. Are they from disney?
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/lilhiccupsboutique-300.jpg
Old 08-12-2010, 12:05

Your absolutely right i had taken a picture of hello kitty and made a bottlecap bow and matching pillowcase dress . Sanrio was doing a show off your stuff picture type forum i posted pics someone asked me if i would make them one i said i would and privately pmed them via email they turned me in! Turns out even if u buy disney ,sanrio,ect. ribbon ,fabric whatever you can only use it for personal use nothing more or you can be sued for a large sum of money if you are buying it then turning around and selling it for a profit ! Luckily i did not get sued i basically got a warning and was told i have 24 hours to remove all pictures ect with any of their characters and the remaining of my product could not be sold but i was allowed to give it as a gift . I'm just happy i didnt end up with a lawsuit!
Old 08-12-2010, 12:08

Thanks so much for clearing it up for me, so I will go ahead and sell them, I have had a few requests for them.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:11

But I am not 100% sure if they are licensed might go back and check with the supplier I brought them from.
Really glad I saw this as I didnt know about this topic at all, thanks so much.
Old 08-12-2010, 01:15

Just thought I'd chime in.

My husband works in a warehouse and has to wear a badge. So we made him a badge reel and I covered the button with some fabric that had an Auburn tiger on it. Some of his co workers wanted some in diffrent team fabrics. I bought the fabric and made them.

To my suprise, I read along the edge of the fabric and it says that it is for personal use only. Items made from the fabric are not supposed to be resold for profit.

So ladies, check your fabric before you use it!
Old 08-12-2010, 02:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Jill* View Post
glad i never got that mickey mouse tattoo

LMAO! Funny thing is I know 3 girls, back when I was in high school who all did that together! But then again 5 years later they all gained weight and well lets just say Dosent look like mickey anymore! lol!
Old 08-12-2010, 07:28

Okay, so i'm confused! Since you can't sell disney character stuff and hello kitty stuff. Are you allowed to use the hello kitty and mickey/minnie mouse resins that we buy in group buys???
Old 08-12-2010, 07:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandelion View Post
Just thought I'd chime in.

My husband works in a warehouse and has to wear a badge. So we made him a badge reel and I covered the button with some fabric that had an Auburn tiger on it. Some of his co workers wanted some in diffrent team fabrics. I bought the fabric and made them.

To my suprise, I read along the edge of the fabric and it says that it is for personal use only. Items made from the fabric are not supposed to be resold for profit.

So ladies, check your fabric before you use it!
That is not accurate... fabric is an entirely different thing from using licensed images. You CAN used character, team, etc fabric to make items for resale. You are protected under the First Sale Doctrine. Read back a few pages on this thread and you will see all of the info. The 'warnings' on fabric selvedges are not legally binding. You are OK to make those badge reels with license fabric.

I am careful not to list my licensed fabric items (I sell reusable snack bags) on my etsy shop, but I will make them privately for people for sale. I know I am safe because it is fabric, but I am still careful. The only licensed character item I keep in my etsy shop is my Hello Kitty badge reel. They are big sellers for me so I keep them and take the risk. Although it's not a big risk IMO because technically I AM legally allowed to make them from Hello Kitty fabric. They are not an image on a bottlecap, for example, they are made from the fabric- same as making a dress from the same fabric.

Once you purchase the fabric, it is yours to do what you like with- and that includes resale.

Courtney
Old 08-12-2010, 07:38

This is one of my favorite topics, since isn't the law just fascinating??? This is what I've come up with. It is always illegal to use pirated or images you've copied/printed yourself. However, you can absolutely use fabric, stickers, other items legally licensed to make items. No matter if the fabric says you can only use it for home use, the manufacturer isn't legally allowed to tell you what you can do with it. The precedent is: Precious Moments vs La Infantil. This being said, however, like all law, it is debatable. So even knowing they aren't allowed to tell you what you can and cannot do with products you fairly purchase (the manufacturer needs a license, not you), big corporations will send a cease and desist letter and can sue you to challenge the law. In our beloved country, anyone can sue anyone to challenge a law.
Will they sue? Maybe not. Most people just sell licensed stuff at shows and avoid selling on Etsy, because they will pull products if Disney wants them to and no one wants to get sued by Disney. Hope this makes sense.
Old 08-12-2010, 07:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperDolls View Post
That is not accurate... fabric is an entirely different thing from using licensed images. You CAN used character, team, etc fabric to make items for resale. You are protected under the First Sale Doctrine. Read back a few pages on this thread and you will see all of the info. The 'warnings' on fabric selvedges are not legally binding. You are OK to make those badge reels with license fabric.

I am careful not to list my licensed fabric items (I sell reusable snack bags) on my etsy shop, but I will make them privately for people for sale. I know I am safe because it is fabric, but I am still careful. The only licensed character item I keep in my etsy shop is my Hello Kitty badge reel. They are big sellers for me so I keep them and take the risk. Although it's not a big risk IMO because technically I AM legally allowed to make them from Hello Kitty fabric. They are not an image on a bottlecap, for example, they are made from the fabric- same as making a dress from the same fabric.

Once you purchase the fabric, it is yours to do what you like with- and that includes resale.

Courtney
Oh, you were posting this while I was typing! Yes, this is exactly what I meant, only better written.
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/candyshopbeadsus-300.jpg