new products--lined 30mm snap clips--printed grosgrain ribbon
Offray Dr. Seuss Craft Ribbon: 18 Feet 7/8 Inch Satin Fabric Craft Ribbon For Gift Package Wrapping,Hairbow Clips,Sewing,Wedding,Scrapbook,Boy Girl Baby Shower-(2x3yd Thing One Thing Two New Fish)
New products--paper bow cards
New product--clear shopping bags
New products--7/8' peace sign ribbon
Hipgirl 36 Yards 1/8" Satin Fabric Ribbon Set, Double Face For Gift Package Wrapping, Double Bar Barrette Clip Making, Crafting, Sewing, Wedding Decor, Boy Girl Baby Shower-(18x2yd Boutique Ribbons)
new products--gymbo dot grosgrain mini bows-diy
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/20pc-korker-ribbon-combo.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Business Issues > General Business Issues

Old 10-14-2009, 11:16

Default Question about taxes

Hello! I was told by someone that if you are a small business you have to make 5,000 before you HAVE to file taxes. Is this correct? If not, do you pay taxes on anything that you make? Even if it is just $100? I have just started my business so I am trying to figure it all out. Thanks soo much!!
Sponsored Links

HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:20

Default Re: Question about taxes

I just started my business too and would love to know the answer as well.

Old 10-14-2009, 01:25

Me too I sold about $400 buck since june do I need to fill this? will i get anything back? or do i have to pay back ?
Old 10-14-2009, 02:47

Anthing you earn (income) should be reported. Depending on your filing status (single, married, Head of Household) You may not owe federal income tax but earnings of $400 or more are subject to self employment tax which is 15.3%. Remember the taxable portion is your net earnings - after expenses are deducted. Here is a link to irs website:
http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/...=98846,00.html. If any of you guys have any questions I worked for an accountant doing taxes & bookkeeping for 5 years - feel free to email me with ?'s.
[email protected]
Old 12-09-2009, 11:15

I just emailed you some questions. Thanks for being available!
Old 12-09-2009, 03:43

I dont do taxes. I was told that in my state(SD) you dont need a tax id for online sales, I dont really make that much, I am only part time. I have started to pick up in sales lately so it is something I need to think about.

From what I understand it is still considered a craft and does not require that I pay taxes, if I remember right when I called the SD treasury office she told me it was if I made over a certain amount that I needed an ID #, but this was craft shows and the money I get from craft shows is only taxable if I make over X amount of dollars per year or if the particular show I am doing requires that I collect tax. As is right now I only plan on doing 1-3 shows a year, two are small ($200 or less) and the big one I made just over $1000.

Krista
Old 12-09-2009, 03:48

In California, if you make $1- you better believe the taxman is coming!
Old 12-09-2009, 08:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenasbowtique View Post
Anthing you earn (income) should be reported. Depending on your filing status (single, married, Head of Household) You may not owe federal income tax but earnings of $400 or more are subject to self employment tax which is 15.3%. Remember the taxable portion is your net earnings - after expenses are deducted. Here is a link to irs website:
http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/...=98846,00.html. If any of you guys have any questions I worked for an accountant doing taxes & bookkeeping for 5 years - feel free to email me with ?'s.
[email protected]
I agree. I have an accountant and I was told anything over $400 needs to be reported. I also have to collect 9% sales tax, (4% parish + 5% state), for sales within my parish and 5% for sales outside my parish. But, if I sell anything outside the state I don't charge sales tax.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:38

i know that i have to go online quarterly and file. if i have out of state sales they do not have to pay sales tax. the way i understood it does not matter how much it has to be reported. if i did not sell anything i still have to file 0.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:20

I'm sure there are people who know alot more about this than me, but sales tax is completely different than income tax. I think if your state requires you to charge sales tax, you are required to file and pay with the state, no matter what your income. Any income earned over $400.00, after expenses, should be reported in your income tax.
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/jewelboxballerina-300.jpg