New products--peelnstick double-sided-tape for lining clips
hip girl boutique 1" metallic gold gliter sparkle ribbon
hip girl boutique grosgrain ribbon wrapped headbands for girls women baby toddler
hip girl boutique goody ponytail pigtail holder for women girl toddler baby

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Business Issues > General Business Issues

Old 10-30-2012, 10:47

Default Selling Funk

I have been in this business since January. I have a facebook page, and hold weekly sales and have items in auctions regularly, etsy store, and I am attending craft shows every weekend. With the holidays approaching I assumed (I know I should not do that ) that sales would increase rapidly, but they are barely increasing. I live in a rural area and I am lucky if I make $50 (that's not taking out fuel to get to the show and the booth fee, usually I am in the red for the show) at a craft show a day. Considering all the time and effort that goes into everything I am wondering what I can do to increase sales!! Any tips would be great!!

Facebook page: www.facebook.com/rbboutique2

Etsy page: http://www.etsy.com/shop/RBBoutique?ref=si_shop

I'll take all opinons and advice! TIA
Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-2012, 11:26

Default Re: Selling Funk

sorry, I don't have any advice, sales seemed to be slow this year for most. But I wanted to just say that when I read the title I opened the thread to figure out how you sell "funk" LOL! Then I realized you were in a selling funk. LOL!

Wendy My Etsy Shop

Old 10-30-2012, 11:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy523 View Post
sorry, I don't have any advice, sales seemed to be slow this year for most. But I wanted to just say that when I read the title I opened the thread to figure out how you sell "funk" LOL! Then I realized you were in a selling funk. LOL!

LOL Thanks for the giggle! Maybe I could market that!!
Old 10-31-2012, 12:15

What kind of stuff are you selling - what are people looking at? You can cater to what your customer wants and focus more on those items or product category (or find a better market to sell what you want to make).

If you hear comments like, oh, I kind of like this - try to pay attention to what they like and what they don't. Is it the price? If so, can you make something similar for less?

Ask your friends and family for honest feedback about the prices and products.

I can't look at FB, but I looked at Etsy. I like the two halloween bows you made. If you are pricing like that at craft shows, it might be a bit on the high end? I'm not a huge fan of those flowers (not you or how you put them together, just those flowers in particular - lol, I have a bunch in my craft room from when I started, but i don't like them much now ), so I wouldn't make them the primary focus of displays, I would focus more on the handmade items if possible : )

Good luck! I hope it gets better : )
Old 10-31-2012, 01:43

Your pricing is really high, for those particular bows, for Etsy (the flowers I'm not a fan of either - not you, just those flowers in general, but they're priced better. If it was a different flower, I'd say it was too cheap). There's a lot of competition. Your shipping cost could stand a slight decrease, if you're able to. You need more items in your shop. As I mentioned before, there is a LOT of competition on Etsy. You only have 4 items listed. The more you list, the more chances you have to be seen. Read up on SEO in the Etsy forums. You need to flesh out your titles and use ALL of your tags. Picture-wise, I would switch out the dark background for a light one - and use more of your photo slots (you have 5 - use them!) Good luck!

Last edited by Krysia; 10-31-2012 at 01:55.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:29

Thanks, ladies for the feedback! I was using a white background but it seemed to make the colors less vibrant than what they actually are. As far as pricing I cannot lower any cost due to my cost. As it is I am only making a dollar or two per bow and they take me at least 30 minutes a bow. I like my bows to look full unlike ones I have seen by other vendors who only have a few pieces of ribbon and are able to charge less. However, the ones that use a lot less ribbon look cheap in my opinion. I do agree that I need more items in my shop, and I will work on adding more to my store. My main display at craft shows are my flowers because I'm just now branching out now that I'm nearing the end of my college career. Thank you again for all the advise and I will take it all into consideration.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBBoutique View Post
Thanks, ladies for the feedback! I was using a white background but it seemed to make the colors less vibrant than what they actually are. As far as pricing I cannot lower any cost due to my cost. As it is I am only making a dollar or two per bow and they take me at least 30 minutes a bow. I like my bows to look full unlike ones I have seen by other vendors who only have a few pieces of ribbon and are able to charge less. However, the ones that use a lot less ribbon look cheap in my opinion. I do agree that I need more items in my shop, and I will work on adding more to my store. My main display at craft shows are my flowers because I'm just now branching out now that I'm nearing the end of my college career. Thank you again for all the advise and I will take it all into consideration.

Just a note, if you are buying your ribbon at a store like Hobby Lobby or Michael's or something without a coupon, I can definitely see them being very expensive to make. Consider finding less expensive ribbon online, or be sure to sign up for store coupons to get it cheaper so you can make a better profit : )

Also, many girls will make bows with more solids and less prints, they can look just as nice, but cost much less to make. Most "buyers" don't realize how much more expensive print ribbon is...
Old 11-03-2012, 08:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHuskerFan View Post
Just a note, if you are buying your ribbon at a store like Hobby Lobby or Michael's or something without a coupon, I can definitely see them being very expensive to make. Consider finding less expensive ribbon online, or be sure to sign up for store coupons to get it cheaper so you can make a better profit : )

Also, many girls will make bows with more solids and less prints, they can look just as nice, but cost much less to make. Most "buyers" don't realize how much more expensive print ribbon is...
[COLOR="rgb(153, 50, 204)"]I don't purchase my ribbon at craft stores I purchase online through a wholesale. I guess I need to cut back on the amount of ribbon I use per bow. I just like my bows to look full and not skinny. [/COLOR]
Old 11-04-2012, 01:44

If you want to be successful selling on etsy then you need to get way more items into your shop. The chance of someone finding your shop with only 4 items in it is pretty low with the number of shops that sell the same thing. Also many people are going to be leary of buying from someone with only 2 sales and 4 items. List each color of bow or flower that you have seperately if you need to

Wife to Rod and Momma to Tyreque, Ladaria, Raquel, Brayana, Destini, Jaleel, Makkiah, Taniyah and Cavelle along with my angel in heaven Angie and 85 foster kids who have left imprints on my heart
All Ribboned Out Remember Me Pillows to Remember your loved one whose far away
Sponsored Links

HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.