3/8" HEART GROSGRAIN RIBBON zebra grosgrain ribbon-new colors 7/8" classic stripe grosgrain ribbon 7/8" frog grosgrain ribbon cheetah animal prints grosgrain ribbon grosgrain ribbon korkers
Shop by color--grosgrain ribbon, hair bows, craft supplies

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Business Issues > General Business Issues

Old 04-22-2012, 11:18

Default Michaels

So I went into my local Michaels this week looking for some supplies and low and behold they now have almost half an aisle of hair bows now. These are finished hair bows just like we all make and sell.

It kind of irked me because Michaels is supposed to be a place you go to buy supplies to make things...not buy already made products. It's hard to compete when with their every week 50% coupon you can get two satin flower clips for $2.50.

Has anyone noticed this at their local Michaels (AC MOORE, Hobby Lobby, Etc). I don't really understand why they do this. The only other products I can think of that they do this with are fake flowers (bouquets, grave flowers, etc.)

A little frustrating.
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/FunFairyLgBanner700x300.png
Old 04-22-2012, 11:54

Default Re: Michaels

I know it's frustrating, but if you take a closer look at their finished products, the quality isn't always the best
Old 04-23-2012, 08:35

I agree - the quality is not the best - but, on the other hand, the prices aren't bad and that's not good for bowmakers!! Have mercy!!!
Old 04-23-2012, 09:29

I agree, the quality is definitely not the greatest BUT to people that don't make bows, they do look half decent and where I live most people only care about price.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:34

HL has been selling them for quite awhile now, Walmart too. I don't compare them to the bows I make or many other people make. The korkers are so limp and look terrible and the other bows don't look like much either. Of course you'll have some people buy thembecause of the price, but that happens. I bet they don't go back for more after seeing the difference. ALso, most people that aren't creative don't go in those stores anyway. Still a bummer!! They aren't suppose to be selling finished items, just ideas!!
Old 04-23-2012, 10:22

Agree!
I was at Michaels a couple of days ago and I so wanted to say to the girl buying up a flower clip that I would make her a nicer one...but I chickened out!

AND I ranted to my husband about their headbands being 3.49 for ONE 3/8 inch child sized headband! Sheesh! It looked so bad...the ribbon was so badly wrapped around the headband. (I just bought four off RABOM for 35 cents a piece and will wrap my own ribbon around them the right way thank you very much!! haha)
Old 04-23-2012, 04:34

I was just at Micheal's this morning and noticed they got more hair stuff in. I'm not really all that worried though, because I've seen some of the stuff they've had recently, and even on the shelf the things are falling apart. The center ribbons just hang loose because the glue they use is crap. Also, they are mostly fairly plain bows, just solid colors in simple styles, nothing really layered or made with fun prints, and no embellishments. Perhaps that's their way of trying to justify that they are "craft items" since they are so plain, and they want you to add things to make it your own style.

I have had this beef with them before though. It seems like nowadays they are catering more to the lazy/un-artistic person who doesn't want or know how to truly craft, but wants to be able to brag to their friends that they "made it themself!" So much of what they sell are really more just components to assemble a pre-designed item, rather than the little bits and pieces you can use to create something original.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:57

I saw a 3 pack of those fold over elastic ponytail holders (the ones that are just FOE tied together at the ends in a knot) selling for $8 at michaels today. They also had lined clips which looked very poorly made, the ribbon was already pulling away from places on the clip. I think it was $6 for a 4 pack of them.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarplumfactory View Post
I saw a 3 pack of those fold over elastic ponytail holders (the ones that are just FOE tied together at the ends in a knot) selling for $8 at michaels today. They also had lined clips which looked very poorly made, the ribbon was already pulling away from places on the clip. I think it was $6 for a 4 pack of them.
They have the foe ones at Justice too. I think they were $9 for three.

Old 04-25-2012, 01:51

I saw some stuff last week at Michael's and 1/2 of it was falling off the clips. Cheaply made stuff...
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/fleuristesupplies-300.jpg