http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/jewelboxballerina-800.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Business Issues > General Business Issues

Old 03-03-2012, 08:30

Unhappy PLEASE help, I'm thinking of quitting my shop

I need some input!!
I was making mostly hairbows and headbands last summer when my business started. When i got a few requests for bridal garters I eventually ended up switching over to bridal entirely. No more OTT/bows.
(I miss them!)
My business is going well, I'm making $50-100.00 a day.
HOWEVER my friend Amber has an OTT bow shop that is going nuts with business. She grosses 4,000 a month AFTER expenses. Shes a mom who has been doing this all by herself and we have been talking about partnering up.
I would go over there after my kids are in bed and work with her until about midnight every night. The pay would be awesome.
BUT I love my business, what I have created. I just do not know what to do. I feel confused. I want/need the income. My hubby just went to prison so we just moved in with my folks for a month or two to get our feet back on the ground. It's all about the cash, and I would not have to get a sitter. I am also interested in being a partner with her, we could double her buisness.
What would you do?
Should I quit my business? Put it on the back burner? Downsize it?
what would YOU do? Maybe i just need some perspective,,,, because it would be insanely difficult for me to run my business and help her with hers (I usually work at night too)

oh ,my shop is www.ellaryeboutique.etsy.com
her shop is http://www.facebook.com/pages/IzzyDi...46981351990332

We live about 10 minutes away from each other

THANK you for reading this!
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/jewelboxballerina-300.jpg
Old 03-03-2012, 10:18

Default Re: PLEASE help, I'm thinking of quitting my shop

You have to do what's right for your family.

If you need the money, do it...it's a great opportunity. You can still do what you like, you can reserve time aside for your shop... figure out a schedule that would allow you to still have time for your stuff.

It's great that she is willing to partner with you and cut you in on some of the profits...it's a cutthroat business, and some people are not so willing to share...

All of my tutorials are now available through my etsy store.

Check out my Tutorial Album on Picasa.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:40

Maybe hire some part time help. Lots of people need jobs. Maybe they can precut the fabric/ribbon, line clips, box up items ect

It's great you are both doing well.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllaryeBoutique View Post
I am also interested in being a partner with her, we could double her buisness.
This is very important- you could help double HER business. If something happens between the two of you (I'm not suggesting it will) then SHE still has HER business and you're on your own.

I looked at your Etsy shop and I think its beautiful. Why can't you expand your business?
Old 03-03-2012, 11:46

Have you thought of maybe doing both? I know it's time consuming but the profits would be great. I know several people who own two Etsy shops. Just an idea.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:54

I agree. I am always a skeptical person and just think of all the possible things that could happen. I would not entirely quit your buisness but as another poster suggested maybe you two could open up a etsy shop together, not yours not hers, a new fresh shop of that you both run. This way you are both in equal and you aren't letting yours go and your not only helping hers. But then again I understand money issues and you gotta do what you gotta do doll
Quote:
Originally Posted by starbell_427 View Post
This is very important- you could help double HER business. If something happens between the two of you (I'm not suggesting it will) then SHE still has HER business and you're on your own.

I looked at your Etsy shop and I think its beautiful. Why can't you expand your business?
Old 03-07-2012, 01:05

Could you work on your orders during the day and hers at night? What about splitting your time... Work on your stuff 1-2 nights a week and hers another couple nights a week or combining businesses to also offer wedding items? I just think that you have worked hard to build up what you have, and even though it may not be where you want it to be yet, it is YOURS!! No one can take that from you, but unless you have official partnership paperwork drawn up, she can take her business from you. Step back from the situation and look at it from an angle that isn't money driven, because motivation by money can cause some people to do crazy things! I know that if you are struggling enough with the decision to put it up here for people's opinions, than you are struggling within yourself about letting it go, which usually means you don't want to. It's ok to hang onto your business. What about expanding it? Instead of just weddings, do every kind of party. Make cute birthday party hats and that sort of stuff. There are a lot of people out there who will pay you for your creativity, you just have to find the right market for it. In the meantime, work your extra nights with your friend, take a little pressure off of yourself, and just think about it for a while. Allow yourself the time you need to make the right decision and when you reach it, you will know that it is the right choice because you can feel it. Good Luck!!
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/candylandbeads.jpg