Free Instructions---------Free Instructions----------Free Instructions-----------Free Instructions.
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/ribbon-korker-hair-bow-clip-instructions-sm.jpg
New Instructions--How to make braided/woven headband instruction
New Instructions--How to make hair bow gift basket
Free Hair Bow Instructions-Snail
Free Hair Bow Instructions--Christmas Tree
http://hipgirlclips.com/forums/xw-instruction-images/bee/bumble%20bee%20sm.jpg

New products--grosgrain ribbon mini bows

http://hipgirlclips.com/forums/xw-instruction-images/rainbow-ribbon-dragonfly-hair-clips-free-tutorial/dragonfly-rainbow.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Business Issues > General Business Issues

Old 12-07-2011, 09:22

Default Re: Uhhh..where do I start??

Quote:
Originally Posted by banglesnbows View Post
Me again, I copied this from that link above. ---If a product is intended for adults or for general use by consumers of all ages, then it is not intended primarily for children. Products marketed and priced in a manner that would not make them appropriate for use by a child would also not be intended primarily for children. An example would be an expensive telescope -- because it is sold for general use by all ages, it is not a children’s product even though it can be used by a child on occasion.--- if I'm reading this right, can't we, ie bow makers, just say that while may contain small parts and children should be watched, this bow is intended for all ages 1-100! Just sayin' this whole mess is still such a thorn in the side.

Thanks for the tip on the sally's clips. I will have to call them today to get the cert. I do still get my single and double prong from there, although I haven't found a better/stronger clip at a more decent price yet.

It seems to me that's what HL has done with the "warning" label on all of their hair accessories. -Not intended for children 14 and under.- Then who cares who buys/wears them. They have some flower clips and bows that clearly look like they "should" be worn on younger girls as well..and even those have the same tag. Who says 16 yr olds don't wear Barbie anymore (Heck, the boys at my sons school have made it a new trend to wear pink! EVERYTHING is pink. Pink rubber bracelets, pink converse shoes, and yes..they carry pink Barbie backpacks! It's the new cool thing to do!) But I'm just not sure that is an efficient/legal way of covering our bums. I think I'm going to put the label on all of my cards, regardless of which button or clip I use, just bc I see all of the hair accessories in the stores have it. Then play it safe by purchasing only tested supplies from here on out.

I know there are still A LOT of group buys currently still going on for the buttons and resin centers etc. I have not hosted my own gb for these items from china and have no idea if those suppliers are willing to test them. I do know that I LOVE using buttons and all the cute little bow centers. We will need to contact the hosts of those buys to see if they can help us out by talking with their suppliers to find out if they are willing to offer us certs. I have only used 3 or 4 hosts on here and/or on facebook and will eventually send them an email to see if they can help. Anyone here that reads this that hosts buys for us, if you could check with your suppliers that would be a HUGE help...and advertising your buys to be CPSIA compliant would probably get you a nice crowd! Then send me a PM so I can see what you have to offer...cause I'm in BUY MODE!
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/FunFairyLgBanner700x300.png
Old 12-07-2011, 09:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessmakowski View Post
I am worried about joannes also I make dresses etc. and I buy almost all of my fabric there

As far as the printed fabric I would like to get that clarified. To me it's not clear whether they are referring to all printed fabric/ribbon or only the ribbon/fabric that has the raised "painted" areas. For fabric, this would be referring to a screen print shirt or fabric used to make products. I'm sure that screen printed and the puffy printed ribbon must be tested...but what about the flat prints that don't appear to have a layer of paint on top?
Old 12-07-2011, 01:12

Just tagging your items "not intended for children under 14" will not save you. If you market in any way to children it is a children's item from what I understand. If you have child models, talk about children in your ads, have packaging that appeals to children, they can tell you it needs to be tested. Ladies, if you want to sell for use by children please follow the guidelines and not focus on loop holes, you'll just get yourself in trouble eventually.

Wendy My Etsy Shop

Old 12-07-2011, 01:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy523 View Post
Just tagging your items "not intended for children under 14" will not save you. If you market in any way to children it is a children's item from what I understand. If you have child models, talk about children in your ads, have packaging that appeals to children, they can tell you it needs to be tested. Ladies, if you want to sell for use by children please follow the guidelines and not focus on loop holes, you'll just get yourself in trouble eventually.
This was what I was going to mention.
These wholesalers selling you the supplies can tag for use over age 14 (or15 like I've seen) but WE are different. We can't just tell them not to use it. It has to also be marketed as such from what I am reading. Including, like you say, photos, wording, campaigning etc.
The wordage in the law tells us that there really is not a place for loopholes.
Old 12-07-2011, 03:27

That would seem contradictory to say not for under 14 and have an infant model or infant size headband etc.
Old 12-07-2011, 04:26

I fully intend on following the law. I will however make products out of the supplies I have for the older girls. Such as feather headbands with the rhinestone buttons. I do not put those on infants/children anyhow in my boutique. The purpose of me starting this thread is not to find loopholes, but rather to help each other figure out where we go from here to become 100% compliant..as I intend to be. Each to there own will do as they wish about following the rules, but I know I will. I am simply trying to find other ways to use the products I have sitting around here without throwing them out. If we all share thoughts on the matter, perhaps we can come up with the nest plan of action for our own boutique, as well as maybe help out a fellow bow maker who might be new and lost in this whole mess. Please forgive me if I seemed to have guided my posts in the wrong direction I want to do this right.
Old 12-07-2011, 04:35

To start, I'm going to have my husband add a "For the teens" section on my website. Specifically intended for ages 15 and above. If I separate my products completely, use only teen models (my daughter will be 15 Feb 21, so I have one model!) and direct my bows and cards toward them, then I think that is one way I could do it. I'm going to change the entire look of Tea for Two on that section using brighter colors etc, rather than the lavender purple we use for the babies and younger girls. I've always wanted to do this anyhow, we just need the time! I've also wanted to include a section just for the mommies. That will come later.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:57

So, I bought a bag of buttons today. I should call the company and ask them to send me a certificate? Then I should contact my ribbon suppliers and ask for a certificate. If I have the correct paperwork, then do I need to have anything sent off to be tested?
I apologize for my lack of knowledge here. I am so confused.
Old 12-08-2011, 01:25

For fabric, the way it's written, it sounds like if it has something applied to it to create the print, another type of paint or silk screen it has to be tested. But, just polka dot cotton fabric from joins should be good. I went to every website I buy from and EVERY single one has certificates available for download. The only place this would pose a problem is etsy and eBay... So I would reccomend that if you are a supplier, get the certificates from the manufacturer add in your description that if you are intending to use the item for children please request a copy of CPSIA certification in the notes section. Just a suggestion. Because, I won't buy from an etsy seller selling supplies, unless I know I can get it from you. my rear will be covered. As of right now I know everything in my house is compliant. That makes me feel good.
Old 12-08-2011, 01:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbell5 View Post
I fully intend on following the law. I will however make products out of the supplies I have for the older girls. Such as feather headbands with the rhinestone buttons. I do not put those on infants/children anyhow in my boutique. The purpose of me starting this thread is not to find loopholes, but rather to help each other figure out where we go from here to become 100% compliant..as I intend to be. Each to there own will do as they wish about following the rules, but I know I will. I am simply trying to find other ways to use the products I have sitting around here without throwing them out. If we all share thoughts on the matter, perhaps we can come up with the nest plan of action for our own boutique, as well as maybe help out a fellow bow maker who might be new and lost in this whole mess. Please forgive me if I seemed to have guided my posts in the wrong direction I want to do this right.

Go back to who you bought from and ask about certificates. If they don't have them or you can't remember, you have to have it all tested.
Sponsored Links