150-forum-ads
hip girl boutique ballet dance gymnastic skating bun cover rhinestone hip girl boutique 40pc grosgrain ribbon wrapped 2 inch snap clips barrettes hip girl boutique grosgrain ribbon korker for hair bows clips
hip girl boutique 18pc grosgrain mini bow tie hair bow clips for baby infant toddler women adult
hip girl sparkle glitter headbands for dancing ballet stage cheerleading girls women high school college
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/3in-spike-bows-rainbow.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Business Issues > Etsy Tips

Etsy Tips New to Etsy? Ask your question here.

Old 06-20-2011, 09:15

Default Sell alot or sell less?

I know the accessories market on etsy is oversaturated but there are so many sellers who sell items soooooo cheap. Yes they sell a large volume but they practically give the items away. I would rather sell less at a higher price point. Any thoughts?? I have noticed alot of the top sellers sell at really low price points.

Old 06-20-2011, 09:25

Default Re: Sell alot or sell less?

That depends. If they are buying bulk, they may get their supplies much cheaper thus making more of a profit.

Old 06-20-2011, 09:26

Id much rather sell less than sell for pennies. Good luck to those who sell below market value to get a penny... They are the ones that will crash and burn.

Holiday, Princess, ballet shoes.....

ALL PROUDLY MADE IN THE U.S.A.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:53

I get so irritated when I see them selling them so cheap.. but I guess "the sun comes out for everyone", I wonder if they realize how much they are hurting other SAHM by giving them away for pennies.. do they not value their time? I know I do. Every flower, headband and other accessories I make means I'm spending time away from my husband and children and I'll make sure that I'm getting paid for it.. My prices are average as I want other moms to be able to afford my items but I won't sell them dirt cheap.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNice123 View Post
I know the accessories market on etsy is oversaturated but there are so many sellers who sell items soooooo cheap. Yes they sell a large volume but they practically give the items away. I would rather sell less at a higher price point. Any thoughts?? I have noticed alot of the top sellers sell at really low price points.
ditto!

My prices were probably too cheap when I first started, I built sales quick though and I have a lot of repeat customers now and higher prices. I definietly did not sell bows for $1 though, I do not know how those ladies do that, you would be paying the customer to take your bow between fees from etsy and paypal and your supply cost!

Krista
Old 06-20-2011, 10:55

Yeah. I'd rather sell less. My time & experience are definitely worth something! If I give it away for small amounts of money I am cheating my family whose time should be mostly theirs! Good thread!
Old 06-20-2011, 11:52

I have never done well with etsy but I'm blessed to have a hair salon/gift store and after years of reading posts about this same debate it didn't click until my bnl said to me....."Your hand made items are what sets you apart from the other gift shops in town so why on earth are those items priced so low?" point being I'm not sure this problem will ever go away but "your" talent is worth something and I'm sure its more than 1.00!
Old 06-20-2011, 07:46

I sell my items for more than a fair few shops on Etsy do, but I get plenty of business. I don't sell for pennies, but everything I send out is well made, I photograph them well so people know what they're getting, I ship it out well wrapped and boxed up so nothing happens to it while in transit, and I think I have pretty darn good customer service. All these things are worth something and I haven't seen my business suffer even though there are a lot more shops selling for little than there used to be. But, I've been on Etsy for quite awhile now and let me just say that those types of shops usually just come and go.

Tags
etsy, product pricing, sales