Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Business Issues > Etsy Tips

Etsy Tips New to Etsy? Ask your question here.

Old 04-07-2011, 03:21

Angry etsy shut down my shop

Yes, I'm pissed! I've been "warned" before about a certain item I was selling. Let's just say it was an Olivia the pig shirt, it wasn't but just pretend.
I had over 130 items in my shop, close to 3,000 sales and ONE "Olivia" shirt or tutu, the rest a mixed variety of headbands, tutus, hats, etc.
So, I've been warned and the offending item was removed by etsy. However, I continue to see tons of sellers selling "Olivia" items and I flag them, and I flag them, and I flag them. Nothing ever happens, they continue to sell their items so I figure, what the heck, I'm putting my ONE item back on. A week or two later, here I am with a closed shop. Seriously??
I just wrote to them and said IF that is the reason they closed me down, I'll remove it for good, but I asked them why the double standard? IF it is something else, first of all I haven't been warned and secondly, I don't know what it could be.
Anyone else had this happen? I wonder how long until they'll let me re-open.
If everyone was treated fairly, I'd understand but this is ridiculous!!!!!
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/myboutiquewholesale.jpg
Old 04-07-2011, 03:37

Default Re: etsy shut down my shop

I'm going to be honest here. Life isn't fair, etsy is a prime example of that. There are always people who don't play by the rules, and we flag, flag, and flag somemore (I'm referring to resellers of unaltered things here, HH for eg.) Yes, it sucks, but if you knew that etsy had red flagged your item, then it's up to you to keep it out of your store because it's already on their radar. Yes, it's not fair, but when is life fair? You did the right thing by flagging everyone else's items too, but that doesn't make it ok for you to put yours back.
I'm glad you wrote to them, and I hope they reopen your shop. Etsy is full of double standards, but I think that is due to the sheer size of the place and probably the lack of staff.

Old 04-07-2011, 03:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by aandja79 View Post
I'm going to be honest here. Life isn't fair, etsy is a prime example of that. There are always people who don't play by the rules, and we flag, flag, and flag somemore (I'm referring to resellers of unaltered things here, HH for eg.) Yes, it sucks, but if you knew that etsy had red flagged your item, then it's up to you to keep it out of your store because it's already on their radar. Yes, it's not fair, but when is life fair? You did the right thing by flagging everyone else's items too, but that doesn't make it ok for you to put yours back.
I'm glad you wrote to them, and I hope they reopen your shop. Etsy is full of double standards, but I think that is due to the sheer size of the place and probably the lack of staff.
I second this. Well put.
Old 04-07-2011, 04:21

Yep It happened to me last week. Had a girl complain about not shipping an item and then said I never refunded her money.. So I proved I had issued a refund and she had never accepted it. So I got my store back and the next day they closed it again. When I wrote to ask why what was going on they said that I was not following Etsy rules and said do no open another store. We will close anything you have. We don't want your business..

So my happy little ass moved over to art fire..

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/...s/108159037935
Old 04-07-2011, 04:23

I hope Etsy doesn't turn into Ebay... as what I mean??? The power sellers are able to run off the competition (or the little guys).

I hope they give you a second chance...
Old 04-07-2011, 04:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom4them View Post
Yep It happened to me last week. Had a girl complain about not shipping an item and then said I never refunded her money.. So I proved I had issued a refund and she had never accepted it. So I got my store back and the next day they closed it again. When I wrote to ask why what was going on they said that I was not following Etsy rules and said do no open another store. We will close anything you have. We don't want your business..

So my happy little ass moved over to art fire..
Seriously??
Did they explain what rules you weren't following?
I honestly don't know if it's my one item or somethng else, they need to spell that out when they close a store!
UGH!
Old 04-07-2011, 04:31

I'm a little confused as to why you would re-list an item that was already a target..you were on their radar like the others said.

It is a double standard your totally right..but they make the rules..we just have to abide by them.
Old 04-07-2011, 04:38

It's got to be frustrating! I can imagine. I am frustrated too that I see people breaking the rules all over the place. Nearly all the people that I see with lots of sales have excessive tags in their listing. For example, they say, "hairbow headband flower" all in one tag. Probably about 1.5 years ago I was doing this (without knowing it was wrong) and got flagged. They asked me to change it and I did. I am so mad that people are still doing it! I will flag them, but it doesn't do much...

Old 04-07-2011, 04:43

Closed up my etsy too much trouble! I love my artfire pro shop. I get just enough business through there for a flat fee of $5.95 a month.
Old 04-07-2011, 04:46

Ok well let me say that it was not smart on your part to relist it BUT if you read their own rules it states that only the item can be removed by the person that owns the copyright. Etsy claims that the copyright holder only targets certain people and they do sweeps of the stuff. I think this is full BS. My son was selling shirts 2 years ago on Etsy and her listed a Team Jacob and a Team edward shirt. No graphic whatsoever. His was ripped down within minutes of them being list and there were tons of other people with Twilight stuff all over. The did not hold a copyright they claimed they held a trademark on the phrase. After researching it I found that they did NOT even own the Team Jacob trademark. So I fought it. Put the shirt back up and they closed his store. I was furious. First of all the person that was selling 50 of the shirts a day was never touched and my son never sold 1 shirt. LOL Yeah that is totally logical right? It is called who is getting Etsy the most in listing fees and sale fees.
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/shabbyflowers.jpg